WinXP-A97: Can't start mailsession

Arno R

Nov 11, 2005, 5:48:10 AM11/11/05
Hi all,

In the past I have had this issue with sendobject not working with A97.
Often it was related to more Access versions installed.
IME SendObject would only work with the latest version.

But I never had the issue one of my clients is having now:
-- Clean install of Windows XP home SP2.
-- Clean install of Access97.
-- Trying to sendmail: Message "Can't start mailsession ..."

Btw: Using Outlook Express here.
No CDonts available ... only OE
In fact this is a brand nwe PC with *only* Windows XPHome SP2 installed and Access97.
The only software that is needed on this PC is this Access-app.
The ability to send mail is very essential for this app...

I fear I need to install A2k (this also means licences...) to get the mail from Access started on these PC's.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Arno R

Lyle Fairfield

Nov 11, 2005, 6:41:50 AM11/11/05
Arno R wrote:

> Btw: Using Outlook Express here.
> No CDonts available ... only OE
> In fact this is a brand nwe PC with *only* Windows XPHome SP2 installed and Access97.

I think Windows XP includes CDOSYS (C:\WINDOWS\System32\cdosys.dll).

Public Sub VerySimpleSendMailWithCDOSample()
' requires reference to cdosys.dll
' (Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000 library)

Dim iCfg As CDO.Configuration
Dim iMsg As CDO.Message

Set iCfg = New CDO.Configuration
Set iMsg = New CDO.Message

With iCfg.Fields
.Item(cdoSendUsingMethod) = cdoSendUsingPort
.Item(cdoSMTPServerPort) = 25
.Item(cdoSMTPServer) = "smtp.mail.yahoo.ca"
.Item(cdoSMTPAuthenticate) = cdoBasic
.Item(cdoSendUserName) = "lylefair"
.Item(cdoSendPassword) = "Password"
.Item(cdoSendEmailAddress) = "Lyle Fairfield <lyle...@yahoo.ca>"
.Update
End With

With iMsg
.Configuration = iCfg
.Subject = "Test"
.To = "lylefa...@aim.com"
.TextBody = "Test"
.Send
End With
End Sub

I haven't used SendObject for a long time. I find CDO faster, stronger,
better, cooler.

--
Lyle Fairfield

Arno R

Nov 11, 2005, 11:41:17 AM11/11/05

"Lyle Fairfield" <lylefa...@aim.com> schreef in bericht news:2s%cf.44549$Z8.3...@read2.cgocable.net...

Thanks Lyle!
I will try this cdosys.dll. I guess one can send attachments also?
If it works it will be a solution for some new PC's the client has purchased.

The 'old' shops (client has a couple of shoe-shops) will continue using Win '98 ... for quite a while
So I will need to change the code that sends the daily mail to adapt for the situation (OS).
Arggghhh.... But thanks.

Why is M$ making this so hard ? Who do they not fix some issues??
This docmd.sendmail is a disaster for a long while already isn't it ??

Arno R

lylefair

Nov 11, 2005, 3:50:21 PM11/11/05
One can do everything with CDO as far as sending goes, and at midnight
it turns into a pizza and a six pack of Sleeman's Cream Ale.

You could, of course, use Outlook Express in the new and in the old,
but it might give you a few headaches (yes, OE is fully programmable).

lylefair

Nov 11, 2005, 3:54:43 PM11/11/05