Need quick pointers on accessing MDB file on a Web Server

Lauren Wilson

Mar 14, 2006, 8:58:10 PM3/14/06
Can someone point me to the best concentration of info on manipulating
an MDB file via VBA and HTTP?

Need to do all the standard stuff for a flat-file database: locate and
retrieve records by ID col, Insert new records, edit and delete
records and return record data as XML or even Comma,Quote Delimited
text.

Any pointers to the quickest VBA code examples for doing this would be
much appreciated.

Thanks all,

-- LW

Danny J. Lesandrini

Mar 15, 2006, 2:55:31 PM3/15/06
LW

If you want to use ASP and VBScript, you could check out my article
at Database Journal

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/msaccess/article.php/3487741

Danny Lesandrini

John Mishefske

Mar 16, 2006, 12:40:58 AM3/16/06
Lauren Wilson wrote:
> Can someone point me to the best concentration of info on manipulating
> an MDB file via VBA and HTTP?

There are many different potential solutions. One way to work with Access .mdb via a
web server interface is to use Perl and the DBI module and write a CGI program.

Check out ActiveState Perl. Use its PPM utility to download the DBI module and
Google for some samples.

You mentioned VBA; Microsoft's ASP supports the use of VBScript as a language
for developing web apps that can interact with Access databases.

A big influence on how you do web access will depend on what your web host provider
makes available or what you've installed as a web server (Apache, IIS, etc.).

Unfortunately there is a substantial investment in time to learn to integrate
the various technologies to create a web solution.

--
'John Mishefske

Lauren Wilson

Mar 16, 2006, 1:31:38 PM3/16/06

Thanks very much John! THIS is the kind of response I was hoping for.
I regret there is not an easier way to do this but, this just means
that I can now safely turn my attention to different strategies,
without fear that a simpler approach has been overlooked.