Access Books

John

Dec 17, 2001, 8:56:10 PM12/17/01
Can anyone recommend a good book to learn Access programming, not your
basic Database program, more on the use of macros and VBA Thanks.

Crying Wolf

Dec 17, 2001, 9:45:20 PM12/17/01
The only two macros I use are AutoKeys and AutoExec which perform functions
that are more difficult to duplicate with VBA. However, I taught an
impromptu class on VBA at my company, if you want, you can download the
'manual' that I created for that class. (VBA Training.zip)

ftp://209.33.184.174/Access

Drew

"John" <j...@cogeco.ca> wrote in message

Glenn Kelley

Dec 17, 2001, 9:52:24 PM12/17/01
Drew ...
FTP is requiring a password...
will not allow an anonymous login..

please help

Thanks

"Crying Wolf" <dr...@wolfwares.com> wrote in message

Crying Wolf

Dec 17, 2001, 10:45:50 PM12/17/01
Try it now.

Drew

"Glenn Kelley" <ne...@stewarthosting.com> wrote in message

Brendan Reynolds

Dec 18, 2001, 5:20:55 AM12/18/01
I liked 'Beginning Access 97 VBA Programming', from Wrox Press. I haven't
personally read the Access 2000 version, but it's by the same authors.

The 'bible' that belongs on every professional Access developer's
bookshelf - when it's not open on the desk! - is the Access <version number>
Developer's Handbook (e.g. Access 97 Developer's Handbook, Access 2000
Developer's Handbook) from Sybex. It does assume some familiarity with VBA,
so I wouldn't recommend it as a first book for a beginner, but I would
strongly recommend it as a second book (or books - the Access 2000 version
is in two volumes) after the Wrox Press book.

I haven't had time to read Rick Dobson's Programming Microsoft Access
Version 2002 from Microsoft Press yet, but it looks promising and I've heard
favourable comments from others.

Although you asked for books about programming, and these next two are more
about design, in my opinion no discussion of books for Access developers
would be complete without mentioning Steven Roman's Access Database Design &
Programming (O'Reilly) and Rebecca Riordan's Designing Relational Database
Systems (Microsoft Press). The latter is currently out of print, but I
understand should be available again early in the new year.

BTW: You'll find very little on the use of macros in any of these books
except for why they should be avoided.

--

Brendan Reynolds
bren...@indigo.ie

b1qzzm93

Dec 18, 2001, 9:06:09 AM12/18/01
One that I've found particularly helpful is:

Microsoft Access 2000 Power Programming by F. Scott Baker (SAMS)

It has a lot of great examples, and a wealth of knowledge about Access.
It does take some heavy reading, though!

Rob...

Jon

Dec 18, 2001, 4:23:02 PM12/18/01
In article <RLET7.19538$8s4....@news.indigo.ie>, "Brendan Reynolds"
<bren...@indigo.ie> writes:

I would second Brendan's recommendations of both the Wrox book and the Sybex
"Access 97 Developer's Handbook" (beware that there is an (MS?) book with the
same/similar title).

My only complaint is the weight of the Sybex book stops me carrying it between
home and work (perhaps I ought to buy another set....)

Jon

Access tips & tricks - http://www.applecore99.com
Microsoft Access webring - http://a.webring.com/hub?ring=microsoftaccess

Mike MacSween

Dec 18, 2001, 7:06:25 PM12/18/01
I'd agree with Brendan's reccomendations, with a slight caveat about the
Wrox one, I found a glaring error which led me up a blind alley (they say
that linked tables can be opened as table-type recordsets - they can't).
That made me a bit wary about the accuracy of the information. And as that's
a beginning programming book that's quite important, I think.

However another book that I've discovered is absolutely superb - 'Access 97
Expert Solutions' by Stan Leszynski', published by Que. I don't know if
there are versions for A2K etc. It's chock full of really sophisticated,
useful solutions and brilliant advice about development methodology. It's
not for beginners I guess, but I'd put it beside the ADH in your library. If
you're listening Stan, it's top notch, thank you very much.

Yours, Mike MacSween.

"Brendan Reynolds" <bren...@indigo.ie> wrote in message

M.L. Sco Scofield

Dec 18, 2001, 10:30:48 PM12/18/01
I agree with several of the other's that have replied:

"Beginning Access 2000 VBA" from Wrox
"Access 2000 Developer's Handbook - Volume 1" from Sybex
"Access 2000 Power Programming" from Sams

And I'm sure everyone has 2002 versions on the way.

--

Sco

M.L. "Sco" Scofield, MCSD, MCT, MCP, MSS
Brand New Access MVP!
Useful Metric Conversion #12 of 19: 10 millipedes = 1 centipede
Miscellaneous Access and VB "stuff" at www.ScoBiz.com

Tom van Stiphout

Dec 18, 2001, 11:03:36 PM12/18/01
On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 20:56:10 -0500, John <j...@cogeco.ca> wrote:

Before you put the roof on a home, be sure it has a solid foundation.

I can't emphasize enough the need for a solid database design.
Rebecca Riordan's book is a good place to start.

-Tom.