OT - Passing of David Fenton

Albert D. Kallal

Dec 6, 2011, 3:25:30 PM12/6/11

"David W. Fenton, age 49, of Weehawken, New Jersey, formerly of
Chesterfield, IL passed away Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011 at his residence...."

http://www.davis-andersonfuneralhome.com/obits/obituaries.php/obitID/435707/obit/David-W-Fenton
http://arnoldzwicky.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/david-fenton/

-------------

I am sure we all will miss his character among the groups.

He was still fairly recent active in StackOverflow, and here.

David was just about always looking to correct any post I made, but that was
his passion getting the best of him and he simply wanted to people to be
correct.

David contributed much to our Access community and I very much respected his
work here.

I think I interacted and posted in groups with David over a span of more
than 10 years. That alone is rather amazing.

In fact in the latter years David and I actually got along quite well and
built up a healthy dose of respect for each other.

To quote Larry Linson when I asked Larry years ago about this David fellow?

"He is almost always right"

David was a well-known figure in the Access community and landscape.

As others noted, David contributed a great deal and was an established
expert on replication.

In a way, David kept us all on our toes and make sure we were not loosely
goosey with the facts.

At the end of the day I will certainly miss his postings and bantering among
the many groups he participated over the years.

We will miss his participation in this group.

My regards to his family and friends.

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Bob Barrows

Dec 6, 2011, 3:32:27 PM12/6/11

Albert D. Kallal wrote:
> "David W. Fenton, age 49, of Weehawken, New Jersey, formerly of
> Chesterfield, IL passed away Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011 at his
> residence...."

I was wondering why he hadn't shown up lately. That's a shame.

What a month!

brucedodds

Dec 6, 2011, 4:21:46 PM12/6/11
On Dec 6, 3:25 pm, "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkal...@msn.com>
wrote:
> "David W. Fenton, age 49, of Weehawken, New Jersey, formerly of
> Chesterfield, IL passed away Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011 at his residence...."
>
> http://www.davis-andersonfuneralhome.com/obits/obituaries.php/obitID/...http://arnoldzwicky.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/david-fenton/
> Pleasenospam_kal...@msn.com

Thanks for noting this, Albert. I haven't been around myself much
lately, but I shall miss him.

Access Developer

Dec 6, 2011, 9:18:55 PM12/6/11
"Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOO...@msn.com> wrote

> To quote Larry Linson when I asked Larry years ago about this David
fellow?

> "He is almost always right"

I crossed words with David a few times, but after (more than once)
discovering he'd been right, I'd been wrong, and feeling obligated to
publicly apologize, I was more careful before I disagreed.

Something over ten years ago, David (apologetically) asked if I'd like to do
some work for him even though he couldn't pay until he was paid for the job
and I agreed. Pay was not quick in coming, but he did pay me for all the
work I did. Much later, I learned that the client had backed out and never
paid him anything for the project. Not only was he extremely knowledgeable
about Access, he was clearly one of the good guys.

I'll miss his vast store of knowledge, his sometimes acid wit, and his
presence in the newsgroups.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Office Access MVP

(PeteCresswell)

Dec 7, 2011, 9:20:57 AM12/7/11

>http://arnoldzwicky.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/david-fenton/

"... he had been in poor health in recent months, but the cause
of his death has not been determined...."

He was so young. It doesn't sound right that the cause of death
could not be determined.
--
PeteCresswell

Bob Barrows

Dec 7, 2011, 9:41:04 AM12/7/11
"Has" does not mean the same as "could" ...
The details will probably be released only to the family once they are
determined ... unless there is something out-of-the-ordinary.

ly...@fairfieldmail.com

Dec 9, 2011, 10:11:51 PM12/9/11
I browsed comp.databases.ms-access tonight and was saddened to learn of David's passing.
David and I disagreed about almost everything, and often our conversations did not show great respect for each other.
Regardless, he faithfully contributed to this newsgroup for many years and in many areas he was expert. I do remember that towards the end of the times when I posted here, perhaps three years ago, David and I were having one of our regular arguments and someone else decided to weigh in on David's side. David did not take kindly to this and quite straightforwardly warned the interloper off. I still smile about this for it made me think that perhaps David did not dislike me as much as it seemed, and when I examined my own feelings with respect to him, I realized that was reciprocated.
I think browsing comp.databases.ms-access will not be so interesting nor helpful as it has been during all these years when David contributed.

Lyle Fairfield

Access Developer

Dec 9, 2011, 10:54:26 PM12/9/11
Hey, Lyle. We crossed words a few times, too, but I think you already know
that I have a great deal of respect for you, and your knowledge. As a matter
of fact, it was your assessment (and perhaps David's opinion, too) that
saved me from investing (wasting) more time and effort with DAPs.

It's good to hear from you. What are you doing to keep yourself from
getting bored, these days? I still fool around with "classic" Access and
keep up to date, more or less, with the new versions -- but I've seen so
many DAPs and ADPs, and other things that never "caught on" that I don't
"champion" a lot of the new stuff. I manage to keep occupied with that,
reading, and some craft hobbies.

Larry

<ly...@fairfieldmail.com> wrote in message

buckskin

Dec 10, 2011, 11:10:39 AM12/10/11

"Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOO...@msn.com> wrote in message

"David W. Fenton, age 49, of Weehawken, New Jersey, formerly of
Chesterfield, IL passed away Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011 at his residence...."

http://www.davis-andersonfuneralhome.com/obits/obituaries.php/obitID/435707/obit/David-W-Fenton
http://arnoldzwicky.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/david-fenton/

Very sad thing to hear particularly when he contributed so much to groups
like this which helps people like myself. And much too young of course.

jbguernsey

Dec 10, 2011, 12:55:20 PM12/10/11
On Dec 10, 4:10 pm, "buckskin" <bu...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkal...@msn.com> wrote in messagenews:_SuDq.15189$JE1...@newsfe21.iad...
>
> "David W. Fenton, age 49, of Weehawken, New Jersey, formerly of
> Chesterfield, IL passed away Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011 at his residence...."
>
> http://www.davis-andersonfuneralhome.com/obits/obituaries.php/obitID/...http://arnoldzwicky.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/david-fenton/
>
> Very sad thing to hear particularly when he contributed so much to groups
> like this which helps people like myself. And much too young of course.

Sad news.

David was one of the regular contributors to this group when I first
started lurking here. He was extremely well-informed and seemed
almost always to be correct.

I will miss him here. My condolences to his family and close friends.

JB

Patrick Finucane

Dec 11, 2011, 10:21:24 AM12/11/11
On Dec 6, 2:25 pm, "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkal...@msn.com>
wrote:
> "David W. Fenton, age 49, of Weehawken, New Jersey, formerly of
> Chesterfield, IL passed away Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011 at his residence...."
>
> http://www.davis-andersonfuneralhome.com/obits/obituaries.php/obitID/...http://arnoldzwicky.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/david-fenton/
> Pleasenospam_kal...@msn.com

Very sorry to hear that. I'm glad that you kept us up to date and let
us honor David's memory.

Tony Toews

Dec 12, 2011, 12:08:40 AM12/12/11
On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 13:25:30 -0700, "Albert D. Kallal"
<PleaseNOOO...@msn.com> wrote:

>"David W. Fenton, age 49, of Weehawken, New Jersey, formerly of
>Chesterfield, IL passed away Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011 at his residence...."

Thanks for posting.

IMNHSO this is not at all off topic.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP

jer...@writopialab.org

Jun 1, 2013, 12:04:22 AM6/1/13
Wow. I've been out of the Access scene for quite a while, and just discovered this news now.

David and I, of course, clashed a decent bit, but he also gave me some of my first work doing Access consulting, and taught me a tremendous amount about Access and about thinking things through clearly, both when you're programming and when you're posting questions and answers about programming.

I had actually reached out to him for some help on a project not so long ago--turns out to have been less than a month before he passed--and got an extremely David answer: cantankerous, preachy, correct, and full of his helping spirit. I only learned of his passing when I dug up the email thread to see why we'd dropped the topic--didn't seem a whole lot like David, but I was busy at the time and moved onto another approach. Sad to think that I could have reached out in a more personal way, too, but opted not to; he mentioned that he was having some struggles with his health, but I didn't follow up on that part of the conversation, unfortunately.

I don't know that I've ever thought of anyone as a mentor in my life, but David is likely the person who came closest to this.

I'll put my project aside for the night, have a drink, and reflect on things.

Thanks, David, for all the knowledge you shared, and for living honestly.

Jeremy Wallace-Segall (used to be Wallace)

Albert D. Kallal

Jun 1, 2013, 8:48:47 PM6/1/13
Hi Jeremy

Most technology groups have a "bit" of a revolving door.

Some regulars come and go.

comp.databases.ms-access does in fact have some very long time posters and
supporters of Access.

David Fenton was certainly one of them.

David Fenton was as you note was often feisty but at the end of the day was
very talented and rarely if ever wrong.

So sure, I it is again most fair for me to tip my hat to one of my wonderful
adversaries here.

As noted this place was more interesting with David then with him not being
here!

I can safe say David and I gained a mutual respect for each other –
especially when posting on StackOverflow were we several times formed a
"tag" team roasting some of the arrogant .net and SQL server posters along
with some general anti-Access posters that deserved some serious stick
beating on their view of Access is only a toy for babies etc.

At the end of the day David was generous with his knowledge here.

To my knowledge David continued to post here until he no longer could. As
such he never left this group on his own accord.

And welcome back Jeremy,

We always have an open door here and are most happy to help anyone that
enters into this group asking questions.

Best regards,

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
pleasenos...@msn.com

wrote in message

CDMAP...@fortunejames.com

Jun 10, 2013, 10:35:25 PM6/10/13
I also felt a loss today at hearing of David's passing. I learned a lot from his participation in the newsgroups. I admired the passion he had for Access. I will miss reading his viewpoints. Rest in peace David.

James Fortune
CDMAP...@FortuneJames.com

edwin_...@hotmail.com

Jun 11, 2013, 10:11:33 PM6/11/13
Hello Everyone,

I met David in NYC in the late 90's when he was living on Park Avenue South. We had arranged a meeting so that we can work on a few projects together. He was a great teacher and the dept of his knowledge on Access was astounding. He gave me the type of work that he said he "shouldn't be doing." He gave me the simple stuff and never failed to compliment me after it was done. He still has me listed on his website. I still have his VBA Developers Handbook.

At my current employer we're using an application for medicaid billing that I am sure was designed by David. I recall working on some of the forms. You never know where his applications are going to turn up!

He was also a musician and a music teacher.

I still wonder what caused his death.

Sorry he is gone...

Edwin Marzan