Access 2007 and Compacting; a small warning

Lyle Fairfield

Dec 18, 2006, 7:56:47 AM12/18/06
Today I asked Access 2007 to compact db1.mdb.

Access 2007 showed a message to me that I did not read carefully; my
recollection is that it said it could not save the compacted copy as
db1.mdb, and would save it as (something like) database1.mdb.

Fine, I thought, I'll just rename it (back to) db1.

But I cannot find any database of that name, or any new database of any
name on my hard drive and db1.mdb is gone. It is not in the recycle
bin.
Db1.mdb did not contain anything of importance, so it's not a great
problem. I could recover it, of course, if I needed to do so. Those for
whom the practice of recovering missing files is not common might be
more inconvenienced than I.

The problem would have been disagreeable with a different db.

I cannot duplicate this situation. None the less, I shall be careful
when compacting with Access 2007, at least for a while. If a database
has something essential in it, I'll make a copy first.

Jörg Ackermann

Dec 18, 2006, 8:06:07 AM12/18/06

Lyle Fairfield wrote:

> Today I asked Access 2007 to compact db1.mdb.
>
> Access 2007 showed a message to me that I did not read carefully; my
> recollection is that it said it could not save the compacted copy as
> db1.mdb, and would save it as (something like) database1.mdb.
>
> Fine, I thought, I'll just rename it (back to) db1.
>
> But I cannot find any database of that name, or any new database of
> any name on my hard drive and db1.mdb is gone. It is not in the
> recycle bin.

Same happened here wit a accdb.
Not reproducable yet...

Joerg