WTF PAM???

Denis.Z...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2006, 2:48:31 AM8/1/06
With PAM enabled IDS some programs (api interfaces) are working, other
not. Why? Where is backward compatibility?

Why ESQL/C works, and odbc driver 3.34 (sdk2.7) works, and intersolv
odbc driver (1999 year) works, but new odbc driver 2.9 does not work?
New odbc needs implementation of "callback function" in programs. How
can we implement "callback function" in ERWin?

I understand that PAM give us new identification possibilities and it
require "callback function", but for what reason IBM breaks backward
compatibility?

Sheshnarayan Agrawal

Aug 1, 2006, 3:38:34 AM8/1/06
to Denis.Z...@gmail.com, informix-l...@iiug.org, inform...@iiug.org

Hi Denis,

In Informix ODBC 3.34 (SDK 2.7) PAM implementation was not there in ODBC at all. If I understand correctly then you might be using PAM through ODBC only for password authentication (and not actual challenges), am I right? If so, then you have encountered defect in ODBC (defect # idsdb00036624). You can touch base with your Tech Support to get the patch (I believe its already available). You should be able to use ODBC with PAM enabled IDS if the authentication mechanism is simply password (and not the challenges).

Thanks
-Shesh

Denis.Z...@gmail.com
Sent by: informix-l...@iiug.org

08/01/2006 12:18 PM

inform...@iiug.org
cc
Subject
WTF PAM???

Denis.Z...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2006, 6:13:33 AM8/1/06
> In Informix ODBC 3.34 (SDK 2.7) PAM implementation was not there in ODBC
> at all. If I understand correctly then you might be using PAM through ODBC
> only for password authentication (and not actual challenges), am I right?
Yes.

> If so, then you have encountered defect in ODBC (defect # idsdb00036624).
> You can touch base with your Tech Support to get the patch (I believe its
> already available). You should be able to use ODBC with PAM enabled IDS if
> the authentication mechanism is simply password (and not the challenges).

Very good. To my sorry I don't have support for ODBC, only for IDS, but
I'll try.
I was confused by documentation:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v10/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.admin.doc/admin222.htm
The following client APIs, tools and applications do not support PAM or
LDAP Authentication Support modules:
* LibC++
* Libdmi
* OLEDB
* *********VB Applications using ODBC***************
* Ilogin, dbping and ********ODBC Test connection*********
* ISA
I don't suspect that's defect.

Denis.Z...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2006, 7:59:37 AM8/1/06
> I'll try.
Unsuccessful try, request canceled. :(

Sheshnarayan Agrawal

Aug 1, 2006, 7:29:25 AM8/1/06
to Denis.Z...@gmail.com, informix-l...@iiug.org, inform...@iiug.org

As far as I know your IDS support must also cover entire CSDK (and so the ODBC). Again as long as your authentication is only password through PAM you should be able to use both "ODBC Test Connection" as well as ODBC VB applications. The simple password authentication doesn't require "callback functions" to be registered.

Thanks
-Shesh

Denis.Z...@gmail.com
Sent by: informix-l...@iiug.org

08/01/2006 03:43 PM

inform...@iiug.org
cc
Subject
Re: WTF PAM???

scottishpoet

Aug 1, 2006, 10:29:22 AM8/1/06
Shesh,

the IDS support does not cover CSDK support. CSDK support, if needed,
is purchased sperately.

Denis

The IDS support does cover I-Connect and to get the ODBC driver you
need I-Connect, not CSDK

You should be able to log an I-Connect issue under the IDS support
contract and get newer ODBC versions from the I-Connect pacth rather
than the CSDK patch