ODBC Connection Pooling and Temp Tables

eferreyra

Apr 12, 2008, 8:51:07 AM4/12/08
Hi, i need to filla .NET Data Set with 3 related tables, the bottom
line is for the best explain i need frst to do a select XXX into
temp...

And the fill the tables with joins to the TEMP table.

Im using ADO.NET Odbc Data Provider and IBM INFORMIX ODBC DRIVER (3.00
TC3)

I would like to work with/without Connection pooling support all
scenarios, but how connection pooling affects temp tables ?

Its possible that the first query goes thru a connection and laters
with others not finding the temp table ??

Also: The query is issued by a WCF service so probably multiple
threads can access the methods that run the querys.

How i can work with temp tables supporting connection pooling ?

Thanks people!!! (sorry my english)

Enrique

Sheshnarayan Agrawal

Apr 12, 2008, 10:40:38 AM4/12/08
to eferreyra, informix-l...@iiug.org, inform...@iiug.org

Temp table is something which will be dropped once database session closes and/or server gets down. Now when you use connection pooling you are not really closing connection to the database. In case of connection pooling (even though you call close connection) the connection will still exist until you exhaust the time out period. So within the time out period (until it physically closes the connection) I would expect temp table to be there ! I haven't seen anyone complaining about connection pooling with temp table, so I would assume it works !! ofcourse there could be the possibility that no one might be using this scenario !!

HTH
-Shesh

eferreyra <efer...@gmail.com>
Sent by: informix-l...@iiug.org

12/04/2008 18:21

inform...@iiug.org
cc
Subject
ODBC Connection Pooling and Temp Tables

Jonathan Leffler

Apr 12, 2008, 6:39:57 PM4/12/08
to eferreyra, Informix List

The other possible area of concern (over Sheshnaryan's) is whether the
temp tables need to be accessed across pooled threads - that is,
whether the table might be created in one thread and then need to be
accessed in another. That would cause problems because temp tables
are private to a session.

--
Jonathan Leffler #include <disclaimer.h>
Email: jlef...@earthlink.net, jlef...@us.ibm.com