ZLIB with Optimal Parsing

encode

Dec 4, 2006, 1:23:10 PM12/4/06
Some archivers (7-Zip, WinRK) already have an "advanced" Deflate
compression - i.e. Deflate with better parsing mechanism, leading
higher compression without breaking compatibility, but in some cost of
speed, thus. Any ideas about adding such feature to the gzip/zlib (a
new "-9" or "-best" switch)?

P. S.
Today, I am trying to adopt something similar to my file compressor and
searching for info. AFAIK, such Optimal Parser before making a choice
looks not only for a few steps ahead, but also calculates the literal
and match price - i.e. the actual number of bits needed to encode the
literal and a match.

-- Ilia Muraviev

Jim Leonard

Dec 4, 2006, 4:27:57 PM12/4/06
encode wrote:
> AFAIK, such Optimal Parser before making a choice
> looks not only for a few steps ahead, but also calculates the literal
> and match price - i.e. the actual number of bits needed to encode the
> literal and a match.

Exactly. A good writeup on one solution is Pasi's pucrunch pages:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~albert/Dev/pucrunch/#Graph is a good place to
start reading.