2008 Beta Registration is now open

mbia...@solidworks.com

Apr 9, 2007, 8:40:52 PM4/9/07
Sign up today to participate in the SolidWorks 2008 Beta program. We
have added over 200 enhancements to SolidWorks 2008 to help designers
better Focus on Design, and not CAD, reuse their existing designs to
save time and design with confidence. This year, for the first time
ever, the grand prize winner will receive a full commercial copy of
SolidWorks 2008 Office Premium and a one year subscription service.

To register, visit http://beta.solidworks.com

SolidWorks Product Management

neil...@hotmail.com

Apr 9, 2007, 8:43:49 PM4/9/07
ABOUT BLOODY TIME!!!

Bo

Apr 10, 2007, 12:05:28 AM4/10/07
On Apr 9, 5:43 pm, neils...@hotmail.com wrote:
> ABOUT BLOODY TIME!!!

Please no arrows, but...I haven't finished my own Beta Testing of 2006.

bob zee

Apr 10, 2007, 11:05:36 AM4/10/07
On Apr 10, 12:05 am, "Bo" <b...@tilikum.com> wrote:

> Please no arrows, but...I haven't finished my own Beta Testing of 2006.

/A deterrent to unauthorized use of SolidWorks products with a minimal
effect on you, our loyal customer/

hee-hee. a deterrent to one and a detriment to others.
:~)>

bob z.

jie

Apr 10, 2007, 3:47:57 PM4/10/07

<mbia...@solidworks.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
1176165652....@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Nev Williams

Apr 13, 2007, 1:15:08 AM4/13/07
I wouldn't be to keen to jump into any new version Neil - this single
computer per licence thing Solidworks are cooking up for 2008 kind of kills
it for me in the for future versions.

http://www.intercad.com.au/html/pressreleases/SolidWorks--activation_transfer_message.pdf

--
Neville Williams
Z-Axis Design - NZ

<neil...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ABOUT BLOODY TIME!!!

neil...@hotmail.com

Apr 13, 2007, 3:33:46 AM4/13/07
hi Nev
I hardly ever stop by here to see whats happening (seems pretty dead
anyway) but my 'ABOUT BLOODY TIME' response was actually for them
offering SWPre as a main prize for beta testing....now if they would
give second and third something similar and the top 10 free subs and
the top 25 subs 50% discounts or some other imaginative incentive ;)
they would actually be listening to feedback of the nature given in
2003! and it hardly costs them anything after all...

Re the licence from what I can gleen it just means phoning home to
track which pc its active on I think.
whats your issue with it? required internet connection? big brother?

I am holding off SW for some while yet - vista has been a
disappointment re openGL etc so far and I am still following quad
developments before committing to new hardware (mostly for rendering
purposes)
>From the little Ive seen the new features in SW2008 arent all that
exciting....plus it would be just more of the same tiresome bug battle
I gave up already ;)

cheers Neil

Cam

Apr 13, 2007, 11:35:11 PM4/13/07

> Re the licence from what I can gleen it just means phoning home to
> track which pc its active on I think.
> whats your issue with it? required internet connection? big brother?

Get real Neil!

This is a major pain in the ass for those that spread their work day around
home and work.

I'm told that if I don't upgrade, I'll be fine. Go figure.

neil...@hotmail.com

Apr 13, 2007, 5:19:37 AM4/13/07
> Get real Neil!

charming fellow...gosh I miss it here ;)

well so you visit the SW site and in a few secs its tracked....how
many times a day do you anticipate changing/moving between home and
office? or are you paying for one and using two? ;)
probably you spend 10 times longer checking junk email after each
logon...to me it seems like a good attempt at an antipiracy
soln...after all you pay big $ for SW why make it easy for others to
have it for free?

Ah yes it seems logical there is no problem if you dont upgrade but
admittedly its not esp helpful :)
They gotcha there...
Why not post to the SW forum (sorry i don't go there either) about it
and lead a popular rebellion if it is so irksome...

Apr 13, 2007, 7:53:41 AM4/13/07
Nev Williams wrote:
> I wouldn't be to keen to jump into any new version Neil - this single
> computer per licence thing Solidworks are cooking up for 2008 kind of kills
> it for me in the for future versions.
>
> http://www.intercad.com.au/html/pressreleases/SolidWorks--activation_transfer_message.pdf

Its that way now once you go to SW 2007 SP3.0 The one thing that SW does
let you do is to have one serial number activated TWICE. Once at work
and once at home without having to borrow either one.

Apr 13, 2007, 7:55:20 AM4/13/07
You can activate the software twice. Once for your work computer and
once for your home computer. How many companies let you do that LEGALLY.

Bo

Apr 13, 2007, 11:35:44 AM4/13/07
On Apr 13, 12:33 am, neils...@hotmail.com wrote:
> hi Nev

> Re the licence from what I can gleen it just means phoning home to
> track which pc its active on I think.
> whats your issue with it? required internet connection?
>
> cheers Neil

Neil, given the headaches of keeping Win XP tip top, I simply don't
ever put my PC online any more. In fact, mine hasn't been online
since I moved in a new hard drive & did the initial MS updates 2 years
back. Thus, I do wonder what SolidWorks 2008 would require.

The automatic assumption that users in this day and age will put up
with major wasted hours on our professional hardware is a bit naive.
When I do access the Internet I go on my Mac, but if I was "All
Windows", I would simply have another cheap PC do the access (like my
$599 MacMini with WinXP).

Given the problems Windows has staying at high performance for 3D CAD,
my opinion is there is no valid business reason for allowing such a
workstation on the Internet. It is just asking for major wasted
hours, and lost business profits.

How much? Any designer worth his salt gets billed out around $50-$100
per hour. The last time I switched hard drives and reinstalled
everything from scratch from CDs/DVDs plus something over 100 updates,
& downloads for both firmware & software it was 20 hours. I have
heard of malware & other problems causing users about 4-8 hrs per
month (indeed this is just from users statements, no science), & some
have said 15+ hours per month.

Thus if a designer looses 50-100 hours per year, his firm loses $2500
to $10,000 per year because Windows takes so danged much time to
maintain, update and fix. Some people spend a lot more than that.

Some users spend minimal time doing maintainance, and their machines
don't run as fast as they should. That is an insidious productivity
loss to tolerate, just because of lax policy. If I had to maintain a
group of 3D CAD workstations, I would run a speed test every week to
make sure that performance levels were maintained.

Now we have Microsoft forcing people to upgrade to VISTA, as articles
have recently noted MS people visiting computer stores and yanking all
the remaining XP OS disks off the shelves. I have heard of companies
shooting themselves before, but now I am truly convinced that Gates &
Ballmer have done something that will alter many PC users view of MS
forever.

Forcing people today to buy VISTA, when it is not ready for Prime Time
is a severe blow against your customers. Forcing users to buy an OS
that is even higher priced than the prior version and comes in as many
models as Chevrolet has cars is just nuts.

For the first time, I am actually thinking of never leaving Win XP,
and just finishing out the rest of my SolidWorks years on 2006 or
2007. If I really have to move beyond that, I'll analyze it years
down the road.

Bo

Nev Williams

Apr 14, 2007, 1:52:43 AM4/14/07
You are missing the point.

Most times when I work at a clients, I do not have internet access and I do
not expect them to go thru all the IT setup, just to get me on the internet
to be able to use MY software, that has been BOUGHT and PAID for (well the
licence to use it has been paid for).

Now if I have to do other work at home for that night or the next day for
another client - I'm screwed.
For me this is just a another level of obfuscation and FUD and complication.
KEEP IT SIMPLE.

There is a principle called "Ockhams Razor" which still holds true today

Ockhams Razor - the principle pronounced by the English theologian and
philosopher Willam of Ockham (c.1285-1349) that, other things beings equal,
the
simpler of two explanations is to be preferred.

This over reaction by SWX/Dassault is not going to stop people who are going
to use the software in illegal ways - whether it is a legit licence used on
multiple machines or cracked software.

"j" <j...@msn.com> wrote in message

bob zee

Apr 15, 2007, 10:21:20 PM4/15/07
On Apr 14, 1:52 am, "Nev Williams" <nevi...@KNOTihug.co.nz> wrote:
> You are missing the point.

SWX is making money off of their software. This is true. It has to
be. How could they continue to put out software that was 'almost
there' after all of these years and still not make money? So, by them
putting out software that phones home is only to make some brownie
points with SOMEONE that says, "look at me. i am special. i phone
home."

stupid.

bob z.

Sean-Michael Adams

Apr 21, 2007, 9:55:23 AM4/21/07
> Given the problems Windows has staying at high performance for 3D CAD,
> my opinion is there is no valid business reason for allowing such a
> workstation on the Internet. It is just asking for major wasted
> hours, and lost business profits.

What are you one of the "I've got to make money" fanatics? What a
strange idea about efficiency you have. Deeply misguided ideas about
needing productivity. Please.

Sheesh, if they want you to set it up on the internet and it slows you
down, that's your problem for needing performance.

Perhaps you are not looking at this correctly and need to reduce the
size and complexity of the work you do.

Ok - please think about this.

Later,

SMA