Intel Memory Ordering White Paper

Andy...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2007, 12:31:45ā€ÆPM9/7/07

I believe that cross-posting this to newsgroups comp.arch and
comp.parallel is appropriate.
[Moderator: it is.]

Longtime readers of comp.arch may know
a) that I was involved in defining Intel's implementation of memory
ordering (the P6 MOB, etc.), and that I am actually a little bit proud
of that work.
b) that I have long been embarassed by Intel's documentation of
this memory ordering model.

I am happy to report that a much improved document describing Intel's
memory ordering model has been posted to
http://developer.intel.com/products/processor/manuals/index.htm:

>IntelĀ® 64 Architecture Memory Ordering White Paper

>This document provides information for Intel 64 architecture memory ordering
>at a level that is architecturally visible to software. The principles and examples
>provide software writers with a clear understanding of the results that different
>sequences of memory access instructions may produce.

The guys who got this pushed through Intel deserve much credit. I wish
that I could congratulate them here by name, but that seems not to be
allowed.

The document is not perfect (e.g. it is not allowed to use the term
"atomic"), but it is greatly better than what has been available in
the past.

I expect that people who need to write parallel programs on Intel
processors will find this clarifies many heretofore muddy issues.

---

One particular issue: every so often somebody talks about a parallel
algorithm on Intel processors, and I have felt obliged to point out
that the "official" Intel memory ordering model, as it was documented
in the SDM (Software Developers' Manual), and as I defined it ever so
long ago, did not guarantee causality.

I.e.

Initially x = y = 0

P1: x = 1

P2: if( x ) y = 1

P3:
ry = y
rx = x
if( ry )
if( !rx )
assert( ! "it should not be possible to have ry==1 and
rx==0" )

was NOT guaranteed to work, heretofore.

The new white paper says that causality is guaranteed: "In a
multiprocessor system, memory ordering obeys causality (memory
ordering respects transitive visibility)."

Indeed, all implementations have provided causality; now it is
official.

This is good, because many programmers implicitly assume causality.

===

This is a personal post. It is not approved by (or disapproved by) my
employer, Intel. I tell you my employer so that you can account for
any bias I may have.

Terje Mathisen

Sep 7, 2007, 2:59:24ā€ÆPM9/7/07
comp...@patten-glew.net wrote:
> Longtime readers of comp.arch may know
> a) that I was involved in defining Intel's implementation of memory
> ordering (the P6 MOB, etc.), and that I am actually a little bit proud
> of that work.
> b) that I have long been embarassed by Intel's documentation of
> this memory ordering model.
:-(

> I am happy to report that a much improved document describing Intel's
> memory ordering model has been posted to
> http://developer.intel.com/products/processor/manuals/index.htm:

(Drop the colon on the end, otherwise you'll get an error page!)

http://developer.intel.com/products/processor/manuals/index.htm

>> IntelĀ® 64 Architecture Memory Ordering White Paper
>
>> This document provides information for Intel 64 architecture memory ordering
>> at a level that is architecturally visible to software. The principles and examples
>> provide software writers with a clear understanding of the results that different
>> sequences of memory access instructions may produce.
>
> The guys who got this pushed through Intel deserve much credit. I wish
> that I could congratulate them here by name, but that seems not to be
> allowed.

Please tell them from me that I really appreciate their effort, the
white paper is very clear, and documents a very nice and imho intuitive
set of rules.

The fact that they more or less exactly mirror the way I many years ago
assumed it had to work is just a coincidence, of course. :-)

> The new white paper says that causality is guaranteed: "In a
> multiprocessor system, memory ordering obeys causality (memory
> ordering respects transitive visibility)."
>
> Indeed, all implementations have provided causality; now it is
> official.
>
> This is good, because many programmers implicitly assume causality.

Exactly right. In fact, I'd say this goes for _every_ programmer, except
those who've been bitten by something like the Alpha (lack of) rules.

Terje

--
- <Terje.M...@hda.hydro.com>

Chris Thomasson

Sep 7, 2007, 7:21:12ā€ÆPM9/7/07

"comp...@patten-glew.net" <Andy...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I believe that cross-posting this to newsgroups comp.arch and
> comp.parallel is appropriate.
> [Moderator: it is.]
>
> Longtime readers of comp.arch may know
> a) that I was involved in defining Intel's implementation of memory
> ordering (the P6 MOB, etc.), and that I am actually a little bit proud
> of that work.
> b) that I have long been embarassed by Intel's documentation of
> this memory ordering model.
>
> I am happy to report that a much improved document describing Intel's
> memory ordering model has been posted to
> http://developer.intel.com/products/processor/manuals/index.htm:

[...]

Finally! The folks over on comp.programming.threads are going to enjoy this
one:

http://developer.intel.com/products/processor/manuals/318147.pdf

Thank you Intel!

:^)

MitchAlsup

Sep 7, 2007, 7:22:49ā€ÆPM9/7/07

On Sep 7, 11:31 am, "comp.a...@patten-glew.net" <AndyG...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Initially x = y = 0
>
> P1: x = 1
>
> P2: if( x ) y = 1
>
> P3:
> ry = y
> rx = x
> if( ry )
> if( !rx )
> assert( ! "it should not be possible to have ry==1 and
> rx==0" )
>
> was NOT guaranteed to work, heretofore.
>
> The new white paper says that causality is guaranteed: "In a
> multiprocessor system, memory ordering obeys causality (memory
> ordering respects transitive visibility)."
>
> Indeed, all implementations have provided causality; now it is
> official.

Is causality guarenteed even when x and/or y are I/O addresses (e.g.
not DRAM)?

Mitch

Quadibloc

Sep 8, 2007, 10:25:05ā€ÆAM9/8/07
comp...@patten-glew.net wrote:
> The document is not perfect (e.g. it is not allowed to use the term
> "atomic"), but it is greatly better than what has been available in
> the past.

I have to admit that I am puzzled why Intel would not regard it as to
its advantage to explain, as clearly and simply as possible, how to
effectively use its products.

Of course, they may well feel that writing manuals is their
obligation, and writing textbooks is someone else's, too.

I see from the page you referenced that Intel is now using the term
"Intel 64 Architecture" instead of EM64T to refer to the 64-bit
extensions to the x86 architecture originally developed at AMD - it
really *isn't* another way of saying IA-64 (Itanium).

John Savard

Terje Mathisen

Sep 8, 2007, 11:31:25ā€ÆAM9/8/07
MitchAlsup wrote:
> On Sep 7, 11:31 am, "comp.a...@patten-glew.net" <AndyG...@gmail.com>
>> Indeed, all implementations have provided causality; now it is official.
>
> Is causality guarenteed even when x and/or y are I/O addresses (e.g.
> not DRAM)?

No, the paper states explicitly that the memory ordering guarantees only
hold for "normal" memory, i.e. Write Back or Write Combining.

Afair, IO is excluded.

David Wragg

Sep 8, 2007, 11:32:59ā€ÆAM9/8/07

[Note: It's the weekend, the c.p. moderator is out flying.
I'll send out the posts when I have Wifi access, until Tuesday.]

On Sep 8, 12:21 am, "Chris Thomasson" <cris...@comcast.net> wrote:
> http://developer.intel.com/products/processor/manuals/318147.pdf

I'm happy that this document has been made available, and well
done to the guys at Intel who made it happen.

But...

The presentation leaves something to be desired. Specifically,
section 2.4 (intra-processors forwarding of stores is allowed)
contradicts the rules that precede it. So the document reads
like "here are some rules, and here is a case where those rules
don't apply, and here are the rest of the rules"!

I understand why the authors wrote it that way. They are trying
to stick to observable effects for programs, and to avoid talking
about implementations. So they leave the model, about which they
are asserting constraints, implicit. Until 2.4, that works ok,
becuase the model is quite simple. But in 2.4, they reveal the
store queues. So we learn that the model is actually more
complicated, and that the preceding rules don't quite fit it.

IMHO, they would be better off defining their model up-front.
With the model defined, 2.1 - 2.3 could explain precisely how
that model is constrained. Yes, it might smell like a overview
of an implementation, but then, 2.4 smells like an implementation
artifact anyway.

(And an appendix with the rules restated in an appropriate
formalism would be icing on the cake!)

David

david.c...@amd.com

Sep 10, 2007, 5:18:52ā€ÆPM9/10/07
On Sep 7, 11:31 am, "comp.a...@patten-glew.net" <AndyG...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Longtime readers of comp.arch may know
> a) that I was involved in defining Intel's implementation of memory
> ordering (the P6 MOB, etc.), and that I am actually a little bit proud
> of that work.
> b) that I have long been embarassed by Intel's documentation of
> this memory ordering model.
>
> I am happy to report that a much improved document describing Intel's
> memory ordering model has been posted tohttp://developer.intel.com/products/processor/manuals/index.htm:

> >IntelĀ® 64 Architecture Memory Ordering White Paper
> >This document provides information for Intel 64 architecture memory ordering
> >at a level that is architecturally visible to software. The principles and examples
> >provide software writers with a clear understanding of the results that different
> >sequences of memory access instructions may produce.

[snip]

Just so people are aware, AMD's most recent edition of the AMD64
Architecture Programmer's Manual (rev 3.13, Vol 2, section 7.2,
available at http://developer.amd.com/devguides.jsp) has similar
clarifications on memory ordering for Opteron systems. (We realized
that our documentation was somewhat lacking as well, and that people
really do need to know this stuff... :) )

Dave Christie
not officially speaking on behalf of AMD

blytkerchan

Sep 10, 2007, 5:21:22ā€ÆPM9/10/07
On Sep 8, 11:32 am, David Wragg <da...@wragg.org> wrote:
> [Note: It's the weekend, the c.p. moderator is out flying.
> I'll send out the posts when I have Wifi access, until Tuesday.]

[The moderator is still out flying and has only briefly stopped
in Aurora OR for a test flight. Expect delays until Tuesday.]

I haven't found anything surprising in this white-paper - though the
existence of the white-paper is certainly a welcome thing (thanks for
posting it here). 2.4 looks like a special case of 2.3 to me...

rlc

Chris Thomasson

Sep 11, 2007, 12:44:30ā€ÆPM9/11/07

"blytkerchan" <blytk...@gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

> I haven't found anything surprising in this white-paper - though the
> existence of the white-paper is certainly a welcome thing (thanks for
> posting it here). 2.4 looks like a special case of 2.3 to me...

We have a concrete explanation of Intel's memory model. No more debates!

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.programming.threads/msg/423df394a0370fa6

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.programming.threads/browse_frm/thread/6715c3e5a73c4016/

Sean Kelly

Sep 11, 2007, 5:19:00ā€ÆPM9/11/07
On Sep 11, 9:44 am, "Chris Thomasson" <cris...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "blytkerchan" <blytkerc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> We have a concrete explanation of Intel's memory model. No more debates!

Intel's, perhaps. But there's AMD to consider as well. The AMD64
docs suggest that independent loads can be reordered. So although the
Intel whitepaper says that the Intel64 will not do this, it's not a
terribly useful guarantee unless AMD follows suit. As it is, I'm not
terribly keen on using synchronization methods simply to guarantee
acquire behavior for loads, but that's what seems to be necessary at
the moment.

Sean

Sean Kelly

Sep 11, 2007, 6:02:10ā€ÆPM9/11/07
On Sep 11, 2:19 pm, Sean Kelly <s...@f4.ca> wrote:
> On Sep 11, 9:44 am, "Chris Thomasson" <cris...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > "blytkerchan" <blytkerc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > We have a concrete explanation of Intel's memory model. No more debates!
>
> As it is, I'm not
> terribly keen on using synchronization methods simply to guarantee
> acquire behavior for loads, but that's what seems to be necessary at
> the moment.

I take this back. Looking at the latest docs, it appears that the
fence instructions are now usable for ordering all accesses rather
than just those from streaming ops. I don't really mind an occasional
fence, it was the "lock cas" for a load-acquire that bothered me.

[C.p. Moderator: you take that back? You take that BACK?
Does this mean that I now have to issue an Cancel signal?]

Sean

Sean Kelly

Sep 11, 2007, 7:23:01ā€ÆPM9/11/07
On Sep 11, 3:02 pm, Sean Kelly <s...@f4.ca> wrote:

> [C.p. Moderator: you take that back? You take that BACK?
> Does this mean that I now have to issue an Cancel signal?]

s/I take this back. L/Actually, l

Sean :-)

[Mod: 8^) ]
--

Message has been deleted

Chris Thomasson

Sep 12, 2007, 2:39:05ā€ÆPM9/12/07
"Joe Pfeiffer" <pfei...@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote in message

> "Chris Thomasson" <cri...@comcast.net> writes:
>> "blytkerchan" <blytk...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> [...]
>> > I haven't found anything surprising in this white-paper - though the
>> > existence of the white-paper is certainly a welcome thing (thanks for
>> > posting it here). 2.4 looks like a special case of 2.3 to me...
>>
>> We have a concrete explanation of Intel's memory model. No more debates!
>
> You haven't been around Usenet long, have you?

:^)

[C.p. Mod.: OK guys, humor is OK, but keep the attribution down and trim
those messages.]

Anthony Williams

Sep 12, 2007, 2:40:01ā€ÆPM9/12/07
Sean Kelly <se...@f4.ca> writes:
> On Sep 11, 9:44 am, "Chris Thomasson" <cris...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> "blytkerchan" <blytkerc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> We have a concrete explanation of Intel's memory model. No more debates!
>
> Intel's, perhaps. But there's AMD to consider as well. The AMD64
> docs suggest that independent loads can be reordered.

section 7.2 of AMD64 Architecture Programmer's Manual Volume 2: System
Programming Rev 3.13
(http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24593.pdf)

Suggests that loads can't be reordered on AMD either:

"Loads do not pass previous loads (loads are not re-ordered). Stores do not
pass previous stores (stores are not re-ordered)"

It looks to me like the AMD memory ordering is pretty much the same as the
Intel one.

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams
Just Software Solutions Ltd - http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk

Dmitriy Vyukov

Sep 12, 2007, 4:50:51ā€ÆPM9/12/07
On Sep 12, 10:40 pm, Anthony Williams <anthony_w....@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Suggests that loads can't be reordered on AMD either:
>
> "Loads do not pass previous loads (loads are not re-ordered). Stores do not
> pass previous stores (stores are not re-ordered)"
>
> It looks to me like the AMD memory ordering is pretty much the same as the
> Intel one.

According to Paul E. McKenney:
http://www.rdrop.com/users/paulmck/scalability/paper/ordering.2006.08.21a.pdf
(see Table 1)

AMD x64 and Intel x86-64 is the same.

Dmitriy V'jukov

Sean Kelly

Sep 13, 2007, 1:11:27ā€ÆPM9/13/07
On Sep 12, 1:50 pm, Dmitriy Vyukov <dvyu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 12, 10:40 pm, Anthony Williams <anthony_w....@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Suggests that loads can't be reordered on AMD either:
>
> > "Loads do not pass previous loads (loads are not re-ordered). Stores do not
> > pass previous stores (stores are not re-ordered)"
>
> > It looks to me like the AMD memory ordering is pretty much the same as the
> > Intel one.
>
> According to Paul E. McKenney:http://www.rdrop.com/users/paulmck/scalability/paper/ordering.2006.08...

> (see Table 1)
>
> AMD x64 and Intel x86-64 is the same.

That's good to hear. For what it's worth, the clauses regarding out-
of-order reads are what confused me. Specifically 7.1.1: "Out-of-
order reads are allowed to the extent that they can be performed
transparently to software, such that the appearance of in-order
execution is maintained." Since this clause is in the single-
processor section, I assumed it implied that stores may be observed
out of order in a multiprocessor environment. Upon re-reading
however, I suppose this is the relevant clause (in section 7.2):
"Stores from a processor appear to be committed to the memory system
in program order?" That's as close as I can come to a statement that
loads may not be reordered.

Sean

Sean Kelly

Sep 13, 2007, 1:14:47ā€ÆPM9/13/07
On Sep 12, 11:40 am, Anthony Williams <anthony_w....@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sean Kelly <s...@f4.ca> writes:
> > On Sep 11, 9:44 am, "Chris Thomasson" <cris...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >> "blytkerchan" <blytkerc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> We have a concrete explanation of Intel's memory model. No more debates!
>
> > Intel's, perhaps. But there's AMD to consider as well. The AMD64
> > docs suggest that independent loads can be reordered.
>
> section 7.2 of AMD64 Architecture Programmer's Manual Volume 2: System
> Programming Rev 3.13
> (http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_do...)

> Suggests that loads can't be reordered on AMD either:
>
> "Loads do not pass previous loads (loads are not re-ordered). Stores do not
> pass previous stores (stores are not re-ordered)"

I don't think this particular clause applies. It is preceded by the
statement: "All loads, stores and I/O operations from a single
processor appear to occur in program order /to the code running on
that processor... in this context/." (emphasis mine). However, a
later clause in a different section states that "Stores from a

processor appear to be committed to the memory system in program

order," which I believe does effectively cover load reordering.
Something a bit more explicit would have been preferable, but it'll
do :-)

Sean

Sean Kelly

Sep 13, 2007, 1:18:49ā€ÆPM9/13/07
On Sep 12, 1:50 pm, Dmitriy Vyukov <dvyu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 12, 10:40 pm, Anthony Williams <anthony_w....@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Suggests that loads can't be reordered on AMD either:
>
> > "Loads do not pass previous loads (loads are not re-ordered). Stores do not
> > pass previous stores (stores are not re-ordered)"
>
> > It looks to me like the AMD memory ordering is pretty much the same as the
> > Intel one.

Upon further reflection, I'm not sure if the "Stores from a processor
appear to be committed to the memory system in program order" clause
is sufficient to imply that load reordering does not occur. It
certainly suggests that stores are not reordered, but an alternate
interpretation could be that the "memory system" observes the stores
in order, but a CPU may still execute loads out-of-order. I apologize
for quibbling over semantics, but the meaning of "appear" is not
entirely clear in the statement quoted above. I will trust that Intel
and AMD are of a mind to provide a common memory model, but it would
be nice if the AMD spec were a bit clearer on this point.

> According to Paul E. McKenney:http://www.rdrop.com/users/paulmck/scalability/paper/ordering.2006.08...

> (see Table 1)
>
> AMD x64 and Intel x86-64 is the same.

I don't see x86-64 mentioned anywhere in that article. Also, Table 1
has a 'Y' in the AMD64 box under "loads reordered after loads." And
to support this interpretation, Paul has stated in the C++ memory
model discussions that loads may be reordered on AMD64. Therefore, I
am hoping that his article and comments are out of date and that this
is no longer possible. I don't suppose someone can clarify?

Sean

Anthony Williams

Sep 13, 2007, 1:52:38ā€ÆPM9/13/07

Sean Kelly <se...@f4.ca> writes:
> On Sep 12, 1:50 pm, Dmitriy Vyukov <dvyu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 12, 10:40 pm, Anthony Williams <anthony_w....@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > Suggests that loads can't be reordered on AMD either:
>>
>> > "Loads do not pass previous loads (loads are not re-ordered). Stores do not
>> > pass previous stores (stores are not re-ordered)"
>>
>> > It looks to me like the AMD memory ordering is pretty much the same as the
>> > Intel one.
>
> Upon further reflection, I'm not sure if the "Stores from a processor
> appear to be committed to the memory system in program order" clause
> is sufficient to imply that load reordering does not occur. It
> certainly suggests that stores are not reordered, but an alternate
> interpretation could be that the "memory system" observes the stores
> in order, but a CPU may still execute loads out-of-order. I apologize
> for quibbling over semantics, but the meaning of "appear" is not
> entirely clear in the statement quoted above. I will trust that Intel
> and AMD are of a mind to provide a common memory model, but it would
> be nice if the AMD spec were a bit clearer on this point.

The only case I can think of where load reordering would matter if a later
load could see an earlier write. I think the first example in 7.2 has this
covered for a single processor writing --- the load of A MUST see the store to
A if the preceding load of B has seen the store to B. For dependent stores
across multiple processors, this is covered by the example on page 164:
"Dependent stores between different processors appear to occur in program
order"

Any other load reordering is not detectable, since there is no guarantee of
the visibility of the stores anyway.

>> According to Paul E. McKenney:http://www.rdrop.com/users/paulmck/scalability/paper/ordering.2006.08...
>> (see Table 1)
>>
>> AMD x64 and Intel x86-64 is the same.
>
> I don't see x86-64 mentioned anywhere in that article. Also, Table 1
> has a 'Y' in the AMD64 box under "loads reordered after loads." And
> to support this interpretation, Paul has stated in the C++ memory
> model discussions that loads may be reordered on AMD64. Therefore, I
> am hoping that his article and comments are out of date and that this
> is no longer possible. I don't suppose someone can clarify?

Well, Paul's article is dated August 2006, which is almost a year before the
new specs were published.

Sean Kelly

Sep 17, 2007, 1:22:50ā€ÆPM9/17/07
On Sep 13, 10:52 am, Anthony Williams <anthony_w....@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The only case I can think of where load reordering would matter if a later
> load could see an earlier write. I think the first example in 7.2 has this
> covered for a single processor writing --- the load of A MUST see the store to
> A if the preceding load of B has seen the store to B.

Good point. I guess load reordering doesn't really matter so long as
stores are properly ordered.

> For dependent stores
> across multiple processors, this is covered by the example on page 164:
> "Dependent stores between different processors appear to occur in program
> order"

This was encouraging to see. It eliminates the situation which has
been discussed here in the past:

x = y = 0

// Thread A
x = 1

// Thread B
if( x == 1 ) y = 1

// Thread C
if( y == 1 ) assert( x == 1 ); // previously could fail

Sean

Chris Thomasson

Oct 8, 2007, 6:03:20ā€ÆPM10/8/07

"comp...@patten-glew.net" <Andy...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Longtime readers of comp.arch may know
> a) that I was involved in defining Intel's implementation of memory
> ordering (the P6 MOB, etc.), and that I am actually a little bit proud
> of that work.
> b) that I have long been embarassed by Intel's documentation of
> this memory ordering model.
>
> I am happy to report that a much improved document describing Intel's
> memory ordering model has been posted to
> http://developer.intel.com/products/processor/manuals/index.htm:
[...]

What are we to take away from the following quote:

"This document contains information which Intel may change at any time
without notice. Do
not finalize a design with this information."

Oh shi%t!

Terje Mathisen

Oct 13, 2007, 4:04:22ā€ÆAM10/13/07

Chris Thomasson wrote:
> "comp...@patten-glew.net" <Andy...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I am happy to report that a much improved document describing Intel's
>> memory ordering model has been posted to
>> http://developer.intel.com/products/processor/manuals/index.htm:
> [...]
>
> What are we to take away from the following quote:
>
> "This document contains information which Intel may change at any time
> without notice. Do not finalize a design with this information."

CYA in action.

In this case, it simply means that you should use CPUID to verify that
you're running on a cpu which existed at the time this document was published.

On anything newer, a warning (at installation time?) _might_ be in
order. :-(

> Oh shi%t!

Indeed.

Del Cecchi

Oct 13, 2007, 4:08:18ā€ÆAM10/13/07

"Chris Thomasson" <cri...@comcast.net> wrote in message
CYA, or as the bicycle folks call it "lawyer lips"

[Moderator: please try to write more line than you attribute.]