SMART drive

Kim Frank Jørgensen, QDI Scandinavia

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
Dear all,

Do anyone know exactly what SMART drive do?
I hear something about SMART drive use sector 0 on the harddisk, that's true?
Anyone who have problems with Linux and SMART drive?

--

Best Regards,

Kim Frank Jørgensen
Field Application Engineer
QDI Computer (Scandinavia) A/S
Tel.: +45 3313 3868
Fax.: +45 3313 3869
ICQ# 10143588
REMOVE.THIS...@image.dk
http://www.qdigrp.com

David A. Lethe

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 13:17:17 +0100, "Kim Frank Jørgensen, QDI
Scandinavia" <phanq...@image.dk> wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>Do anyone know exactly what SMART drive do?
>I hear something about SMART drive use sector 0 on the harddisk, that's true?
>Anyone who have problems with Linux and SMART drive?

S.M.A.R.T. drives have firmware that is used to report to the host
when it is logging errors, and more importantly, when a head crash may
be around the corner. Seagate, IBM, Compaq and possibly some others
designed the specifications.

There are some commercial software packages that read this
information, as well as the O/S's such as HP-UX, AIX, and Solaris.
I am not aware of any freeware that does this.

I don't know anything about the sector 0 question, but I don't think
you have anything to worry about, regardless of what O/S you use,
including LINUX. I have LINUX running on a SCSI IBM drive with
S.M.A.R.T.

David