Spartan-3 VCCIO ramp up time

Kolja Sulimma

Sep 23, 2004, 11:09:10 AM9/23/04
Austin,

you are probably the right person to answer this question:

I made a mistake and now I have a board with a XC3S200FT that has a
ramp up time for the 2.5V power supply of only about 300us. That is
only about half us much as required by the datasheet.

One I/O bank uses 2.5V as VCCIO, the others use 3.3V which has a ramp
up time of 600us.

Apparently the board is working normally. Can anyone comment on what
kind of mishap I could expect because of this?
If there is a bad effect that does not happen on the prototype, how
will it be triggered on future boards: Temperature? Chip to chip
tolerances?

Or is the safety margin in the datasheet large enough that I can
ignore this?

Kolja Sulimma

Steven K. Knapp

Sep 23, 2004, 1:37:07 PM9/23/04

"Kolja Sulimma" <ne...@sulimma.de> wrote in message

If the 2.5V, 300 us ramp is on the VCCAUX supply only, then no problem.
However, if one of the VCCO_# supplies also connects to the 2.5V supply,
then yes, the design violates the current Tcco specification in the
Spartan-3 data sheet (Table 3 of the Spartan-3 data sheet, page 3).
http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/publications/ds099-3.pdf

The Tcco specification for the XC3S200 in the FT256 package is 600 us (0.6
ms). That's a worst-case value. Most devices, but not all under worst-case
conditions, should function with a 300 us ramp rate. Your prototype design
should be fine, although Xilinx does not guarantee it with a 300 us ramp
rate. Can you ignore it for your production design? Not if you want
guaranteed success for every board.

So what happens if you violate the specification? In the XC3S200, you could
potentially trigger the aggressive ESD protection circuit. You will see
additional current draw, but only if the VCCO ramps too fast. If the power
supply doesn't have enough capacity, then the FPGA may fail to configure.
If the supply does have enough capacity, then the FPGA will configure, but
may still draw current. If the VCCO supply ramps slower than the Tcco
specification, then you will never see this condition.

The overly aggressive ESD circuit is tamed in the XC3S50 and XC3S1000 FPGAs
available today. There is no ramp limit for these devices. If the
ramp-rate is a concern in your design, the XC3S1000 is also available in a
pin-compatible FT256 package.
---------------------------------
Steven K. Knapp
Applications Manager, Xilinx Inc.
General Products Division
Spartan-3/II/IIE FPGAs
http://www.xilinx.com/spartan3
---------------------------------
Spartan-3: Make it Your ASIC

Channing_W

Sep 27, 2004, 11:04:19 AM9/27/04
Steven,

As your mention, "If the power supply doesn't have enough capacity, then the
FPGA may fail to configure.". Does it effect in only the master serial mode
or all configuration mode include JTAG mode?

Channing

"Steven K. Knapp" <steve.knappNO#SP...@xilinx.com> 写入邮件

Steven K. Knapp

Sep 27, 2004, 1:00:34 PM9/27/04

"Channing_W" <chan...@pldsupport.com> wrote in message

> Steven,
>
> As your mention, "If the power supply doesn't have enough capacity, then
the
> FPGA may fail to configure.". Does it effect in only the master serial
mode
> or all configuration mode include JTAG mode?

The limitation is if ...

* The VCCO supply ramps faster than the minimum data sheet specification
(Tcco)

and

* The VCCO supply does not have excess current capacity

then the FPGA may fail to configure. If the supply ramps slower than the
specified Tcco, then no problem.

If the supply does ramp faster than Tcco, then the problem could potentially
occur regardless of the configuration mode.

Just FYI, the Tcco specifications have already been improved to "No Limit"
for the XC3S50 and XC3S1000.

---------------------------------
Steven K. Knapp
Applications Manager, Xilinx Inc.
General Products Division
Spartan-3/II/IIE FPGAs
http://www.xilinx.com/spartan3
---------------------------------
Spartan-3: Make it Your ASIC

[snip]

Steven K. Knapp

Sep 27, 2004, 1:00:34 PM9/27/04

"Channing_W" <chan...@pldsupport.com> wrote in message
> Steven,
>
> As your mention, "If the power supply doesn't have enough capacity, then
the
> FPGA may fail to configure.". Does it effect in only the master serial
mode
> or all configuration mode include JTAG mode?

The limitation is if ...

* The VCCO supply ramps faster than the minimum data sheet specification
(Tcco)

and

* The VCCO supply does not have excess current capacity

then the FPGA may fail to configure. If the supply ramps slower than the
specified Tcco, then no problem.

If the supply does ramp faster than Tcco, then the problem could potentially
occur regardless of the configuration mode.

Just FYI, the Tcco specifications have already been improved to "No Limit"
for the XC3S50 and XC3S1000.

---------------------------------
Steven K. Knapp
Applications Manager, Xilinx Inc.
General Products Division
Spartan-3/II/IIE FPGAs
http://www.xilinx.com/spartan3
---------------------------------
Spartan-3: Make it Your ASIC

[snip]

Hal Murray

Sep 28, 2004, 3:29:35 AM9/28/04
>The limitation is if ...
>* The VCCO supply ramps faster than the minimum data sheet specification
>(Tcco)
>and
>* The VCCO supply does not have excess current capacity

I'm missing something. How can it not have "excess current
capacity" if it's ramping up too fast?

--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my
other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited

Jim Granville

Sep 28, 2004, 4:08:38 AM9/28/04
Hal Murray wrote:

>>The limitation is if ...
>>* The VCCO supply ramps faster than the minimum data sheet specification
>>(Tcco)
>>and
>>* The VCCO supply does not have excess current capacity
>

> I'm missing something. How can it not have "excess current
> capacity" if it's ramping up too fast?

I think he meant 'excess' as in 'spare' - sounds a great little
problem they stumbled onto, where too fast a ramp triggers
what seems close to a 'latch-up reflex' in the ESD regions.
From Steve's description, if you have spare capacity, the
chip will come up, but "but may still draw [extra?] current."
-jg

Brian Davis

Sep 28, 2004, 7:39:40 AM9/28/04
Steven Knapp wrote:

> The limitation is if ...
>
> * The VCCO supply ramps faster than the minimum
> data sheet specification (Tcco)

One question: is this strictly a power-up issue, or can it be
triggered during operation?

In particular, since the ramp spec. is worse for the leaded
packages, could a large transient on the VCCO supply cause
the same problem?

e.g., if you configure a PQ208 with many parallel DCI
terminations, at the end of configuration the VCCO supply will
jump instantly from quiescent to full power ( maybe ~3 amps max.
for a PQ208, but by that point you'd have heatsinking problems )

Brian

rickman

Sep 28, 2004, 3:27:55 PM9/28/04

I don't think this is a problem. The ramp speed issue in only of
concern at a voltage threshold around 0.8~1.0 volts. As it was
explained to me, when the part powers up, there are a lot of transistors
which are turned on initially. Once Vcc gets above about 1.0 volts,
everything is biased and the transistors that need to be off are off.
But the part draws a lot of current in the meantime as the voltage
ramps. If the voltage ramps too fast, the PS can max out on current and
for some reason, this will disturb the part and it will not initialize
correctly to the point that a power down must be done to correct the
problem.

So the problem is that you must let the part draw as much current as it
needs as the voltage ramps up. The spec is to let you know how much
current you will need for a given ramp rate. Keep the ramp rate slower
than the worst case spec and the part will be happy with the current
spec'd in the data sheet. After the voltage rises above about 1.0 volts
this is no longer an issue regardless of how the spec is written (or
interpreted).

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.c...@XYarius.com
removed.

4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice
Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX

Austin Lesea

Sep 28, 2004, 4:30:20 PM9/28/04
Rick,

This issue is (was) new: the ESD protection of the Vcco pins was firing
on a high (very fast) dV/dt. Later mask sets got fixed, but some early
mask sets are still in production with this restriction.

Just ramp on slower than that indicated in the data sheet, and
everything is fine.

The protection is an active clamp (not a SCR), but it still 'latches,'
removal of power is required to reset it.

The circuit can not be triggered in normal operation, as it is only used
on the Vcco pins, not the IO pins themselves.

This is NOT the power on current issue that was in Virtex, Virtex E,
Spartan 2, and Spartan 2E as you describe it. In thoses cases, the
current must be supplied to start up the device. It may have acted like
an SCR or clamp, but the mechanism was completely different. As well,
all of those devices were characterized, and production screens put in
place so that we guaranteed start up if there was at least the amount of
current specified in the data sheet present for Vccint.

Subsequent to Virtex E, we designed out the current surge issue for the
core. (VII, and all later parts do not have an issue with Iccint at
startup.)

Austin

Uwe Bonnes

Sep 28, 2004, 5:56:45 PM9/28/04
Austin Lesea <aus...@xilinx.com> wrote:
: Rick,

: This issue is (was) new: the ESD protection of the Vcco pins was firing
: on a high (very fast) dV/dt. Later mask sets got fixed, but some early
: mask sets are still in production with this restriction.

Any hints for decoding the top marking for that issue?
--
Uwe Bonnes b...@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt

Hal Murray

Sep 29, 2004, 3:13:58 AM9/29/04
>This issue is (was) new: the ESD protection of the Vcco pins was firing
>on a high (very fast) dV/dt. Later mask sets got fixed, but some early
> mask sets are still in production with this restriction.

Interesting to see 600 microseconds referred to as very fast. :)

Thanks everybody for taking the time to explain things.

Brian Davis

Sep 29, 2004, 9:19:32 AM9/29/04
Austin wrote:

> This issue is (was) new: the ESD protection of the Vcco pins
> was firing on a high (very fast) dV/dt.
<snip>

> The circuit can not be triggered in normal operation, as it is
> only used on the Vcco pins, not the IO pins themselves.

My question was whether the internal VCCO rail collapse/ringing
induced by the parallel DCI startup current transient in a leaded
package would be sufficient to trigger the problematic ESD circuit.

The VQ/TQ/PQ packages have a slower VCCO ramp rate spec than the
BGA packages, and have only one or two VCCO pins per bank.

As a bitstream with parallel DCI finishes loading, the FPGA
experiences the mother-of-all-SSO transients when those split
terminators all turn on simultaneously.

back-of-envelope calculation:

If Bank 7 of a PQ208 were configured with 9 LVDS_25_DCI input
pairs plus a VRP/VRN pair, the DCI startup current spike for that
bank at the end of configuration would be ~400 mA.

That current spike would have to flow through only two VCCO pins,
with a lead inductance of perhaps 8~12 nH for pin & wire bond in
a PQ208, as these appear to be standard leadframe packages(???).

Guessing at a range of possible values for the internal VCCO rail
capacitance and the turn-on edge rate of the DCI terminators, this
might produce an on-die VCCO rail collapse or ringing of anywhere
from a few hundred millivolts to several volts in amplitude.

Brian

Steven K. Knapp

Sep 29, 2004, 12:03:01 PM9/29/04

"rickman" <spamgo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Brian Davis wrote:

[snip]

> I don't think this is a problem. The ramp speed issue in only of
> concern at a voltage threshold around 0.8~1.0 volts. As it was
> explained to me, when the part powers up, there are a lot of transistors
> which are turned on initially. Once Vcc gets above about 1.0 volts,
> everything is biased and the transistors that need to be off are off.
> But the part draws a lot of current in the meantime as the voltage
> ramps. If the voltage ramps too fast, the PS can max out on current and
> for some reason, this will disturb the part and it will not initialize
> correctly to the point that a power down must be done to correct the
> problem.
>
> So the problem is that you must let the part draw as much current as it
> needs as the voltage ramps up. The spec is to let you know how much
> current you will need for a given ramp rate. Keep the ramp rate slower
> than the worst case spec and the part will be happy with the current
> spec'd in the data sheet. After the voltage rises above about 1.0 volts
> this is no longer an issue regardless of how the spec is written (or
> interpreted).

The problem that you described is a completely different phenomena from much
older FPGA families. This phenomena does not exist on any of the modern
FPGA architectures like Virtex-II, Virtex-II Pro, Spartan-3, and Virtex-4.

Steven K. Knapp

Sep 29, 2004, 11:58:57 AM9/29/04

"Brian Davis" <brim...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Steven Knapp wrote:
> >
> > The limitation is if ...
> >
> > * The VCCO supply ramps faster than the minimum
> > data sheet specification (Tcco)
> >
> One question: is this strictly a power-up issue, or can it be
> triggered during operation?

No, it can only be triggered during the power-up sequence.

> In particular, since the ramp spec. is worse for the leaded
> packages, could a large transient on the VCCO supply cause
> the same problem?

No, not unless the transient drops the VCCO supply down toward ground, in
which case the application would violate a variety of specification.

Steven K. Knapp

Sep 29, 2004, 11:58:57 AM9/29/04

"Brian Davis" <brim...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Steven Knapp wrote:
> >
> > The limitation is if ...
> >
> > * The VCCO supply ramps faster than the minimum
> > data sheet specification (Tcco)
> >
> One question: is this strictly a power-up issue, or can it be
> triggered during operation?

No, it can only be triggered during the power-up sequence.

> In particular, since the ramp spec. is worse for the leaded

> packages, could a large transient on the VCCO supply cause
> the same problem?

No, not unless the transient drops the VCCO supply down toward ground, in

which case the application would violate a variety of specification.

Steven K. Knapp

Sep 29, 2004, 12:03:01 PM9/29/04

> Brian Davis wrote:

[snip]

> I don't think this is a problem. The ramp speed issue in only of
> concern at a voltage threshold around 0.8~1.0 volts. As it was
> explained to me, when the part powers up, there are a lot of transistors
> which are turned on initially. Once Vcc gets above about 1.0 volts,
> everything is biased and the transistors that need to be off are off.
> But the part draws a lot of current in the meantime as the voltage
> ramps. If the voltage ramps too fast, the PS can max out on current and
> for some reason, this will disturb the part and it will not initialize
> correctly to the point that a power down must be done to correct the
> problem.
>
> So the problem is that you must let the part draw as much current as it
> needs as the voltage ramps up. The spec is to let you know how much
> current you will need for a given ramp rate. Keep the ramp rate slower
> than the worst case spec and the part will be happy with the current
> spec'd in the data sheet. After the voltage rises above about 1.0 volts
> this is no longer an issue regardless of how the spec is written (or
> interpreted).

The problem that you described is a completely different phenomena from much

older FPGA families. This phenomena does not exist on any of the modern
FPGA architectures like Virtex-II, Virtex-II Pro, Spartan-3, and Virtex-4.

Steven K. Knapp

Sep 29, 2004, 11:58:57 AM9/29/04

"Brian Davis" <brim...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Steven Knapp wrote:
> >
> > The limitation is if ...
> >
> > * The VCCO supply ramps faster than the minimum
> > data sheet specification (Tcco)
> >
> One question: is this strictly a power-up issue, or can it be
> triggered during operation?

No, it can only be triggered during the power-up sequence.

> In particular, since the ramp spec. is worse for the leaded

> packages, could a large transient on the VCCO supply cause
> the same problem?

No, not unless the transient drops the VCCO supply down toward ground, in

which case the application would violate a variety of specification.

Steven K. Knapp

Sep 29, 2004, 12:07:31 PM9/29/04

"Uwe Bonnes" <b...@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote in message

> Austin Lesea <aus...@xilinx.com> wrote:
> : Rick,
>
> : This issue is (was) new: the ESD protection of the Vcco pins was firing
> : on a high (very fast) dV/dt. Later mask sets got fixed, but some early
> : mask sets are still in production with this restriction.
>
> Any hints for decoding the top marking for that issue?

At present, the XC3S50 and the XC3S1000 do not have a minimum VCCO ramp rate
restriction. The remaining family members do. The Spartan-3 data sheet
lists the appropriate specifications (Tcco).

When the restriction is removed for the other devices, we will tie the
difference to a top-mark field on the package and indicate the difference in
the data sheet.

Brian Davis

Sep 29, 2004, 8:48:12 PM9/29/04
Steven Knapp wrote:

> No, not unless the transient drops the VCCO supply down toward ground, in
> which case the application would violate a variety of specification.

Sorry if my first post wasn't clear: I'm not concerned about
a spec-violating external VCCO supply transient, but rather an
internal VCCO rail transient, self-inflicted by the FPGA due to
end-of-configuration DCI startup current in the leaded packages.

See my other post from earlier today for a better wording
of the question.

The SSO guidelines would normally provide some insight into
a max limit on the transient current, but the VQ/TQ/PQ SSO specs
were changed from a blank column in previous S3 datasheets to
not-even-mentioned in the latest datasheet.

Brian

Sylvain Munaut

Sep 30, 2004, 12:15:03 PM9/30/04
Hi

Austin Lesea wrote:

> Just ramp on slower than that indicated in the data sheet, and
> everything is fine.

May sound like a stupid question to experts but I'm more a sw/fw guy :

How do you make it ramp slower ? Is there any obvious trick ?

Looking at my regulator datasheet, doesn't even specify ramp rate ...

Sylvain

John_H

Sep 30, 2004, 1:02:55 PM9/30/04
Bulk capacitance on the regulator output will slow the ramp rate for either
switching regulators or current-limited linear regulators (that turn on from
a fixed voltage rather than ramping up with its input voltage).

If you're trying to enable a regulator that doesn't include a current limit
from a supply that's already steady, bulk capacitance won't provide the
predictable ramp rate.

"Sylvain Munaut" <tnt_at_246...@reducespam.com> wrote in message

Austin Lesea

Sep 30, 2004, 1:10:19 PM9/30/04
Sylvain,

Ramp on time is deterimined by the size of the filter capacitor, and the
current capability of the power source.

So, for example, if the supply can't output more than 10 amperes, and
you have 1,000 uF of filtering, then using I=CdV/dt, and solve for dt,

dt = CdV/I

or .001F * 3.3V/10A = 330 us.

Now you would need a LOT of capacitance to slow this down to 3.3 mS,
basically 10,000 uF instead of 1,000 uF.

If the supply was current limited at 1 ampere, then 1,000 uF would be
just fine. Typically we suggest at least 4 470uF for the core, and a
similar number for the Vcco, so that would closer to 2,000 uF, and life
would be good all around unless the current output is so great that the
voltage rises faster than the spec sheet allows.

Austin

Uwe Bonnes

Sep 30, 2004, 1:51:28 PM9/30/04
Sylvain Munaut <tnt_at_246...@reducespam.com> wrote:
: Hi

: Austin Lesea wrote:

Go to the Website of Regulator suppliers, like National Semiconductors or
TI. They have application notes for FPGA supplies. E.g. TI has a Family of
fast regulators. To limit the ramp up, they use a MOSFET. Look e.g at
http://www-s.ti.com/sc/techlit/slva175.pdf

Bye

rickman

Sep 30, 2004, 3:30:12 PM9/30/04

Are you sure you should include Virtex-II and Virtex-II Pro in this
list? When I read the data sheet it still lists a minimum power up
current of up to 1.1 Amps. If this is not the same issue as the Virtex
and Spartan II parts, then what exactly is this current about?

Or maybe my copies of the data sheets are old???

Austin Lesea

Sep 30, 2004, 4:11:03 PM9/30/04
Rick,

We left the 'minimum power on current' in the data sheet so that folks
would always be able to turn them on.

The minimum current is not so much different now from the maximum leakage.

So to turn a V2, V2P, etc on at 100C at Vccint(abs max) might require a
bit more current than at room temp.

That is what that table (specification)is all about.

Austin

Hal Murray

Oct 1, 2004, 2:36:18 AM10/1/04
>If you're trying to enable a regulator that doesn't include a current limit
>from a supply that's already steady, bulk capacitance won't provide the
>predictable ramp rate.

"Hot swap" is probably the magic word to search on if you
are browsing vendors web sites. There is a class of chips
intended to limit the startup current. I think most of them
can be used to solve the ramp up problem.

Sylvain Munaut

Oct 1, 2004, 3:12:49 AM10/1/04

John_H, Austin, Uwe, Hal

Thanks for all your anwsers !