SDRAM vs DDR2 on Spartan3E

1 view

Guru

Jul 19, 2007, 5:57:36 PM7/19/07
Hi all,

I am considering to replace a SDRAM with a DDR2 on a custom
Spartan3E1200 board to gain some bandwidth in a Microblaze system.
Currently I am working with OPB_SDRAM core and I am not satisfied with
60MB bandwidth in burst mode (x16 SDRAM and 50MHz clock). It takes 4
cyles to read a word (32bits) and it does not support async clocking,
so OPB clock is the same as RAM clock.
I wonder what can I expect if I use x16 DDR2 RAM coupled to
MCH_OPB_DDR2 (power consumption, bandwidth, problems...).

Cheers,

Guru

Antti

Jul 20, 2007, 3:14:53 AM7/20/07

you may have better luck using DDR memory, the DDR controller
is little better in performance then the SDRAM IP core from xilinx.
going with DDR2 on S3E I would not advice unless you really know
what you are doing (and then you would not ask about it..)

Antti