Does Modelsim XE support coreconnect BFM simulation?

Jeff Cunningham

Jan 6, 2007, 9:02:48 PM1/6/07
I am developing a EDK 8.2 component with a PLB master based DMA
interface. It sure would be nice to use the coreconnect bus functional
models such as PLB slave and PLB bus monitor to develop this core, but
all I have for simulation is MXE. Does anyone know if this is possible?
I downloaded and installed bfm_8_2.exe and can see source for all the
BFM components; but the EDK "compile simulation library" command
complains that I have MXE instead of PE/EE. I don't care about
simulating other stuff in EDK, and normally I would simulate stand-alone
but I get the feeling the BFM components are only meant for EDK. Had
anyone here done anything like this?

Searching the xilinx database has not returned a straight answer.

Closest I can come is answer 19326 which refers to this:

(Xilinx Answer 16359) - 3.1/3.2 EDK - Does EDK support the ModelSim XE
simulator?

but answer 16359 does not seem to exist.

thanks,
-Jeff

John McCaskill

Jan 6, 2007, 11:55:43 PM1/6/07

I used the bus functional models from the IBM CoreConnect toolkit with
EDK 7.1. EDK generated all the scripts to compile and run the test
bench for me, but I did not run ModelSim from within EDK. Having EDK
generate the scripts was nice, but is something that you can do
yourself.

The BFMs did not have any Swift models in them, so you do not need that
feature. If I remember correctly, both VHDL and Verilog BFMs are
provided, so as long as your code is all one or the other you do not
need the mixed language feature.

Some of the files are large, over 50K lines I think, so if there is a
line limit on the MXE version that might be a problem.

Regards,

John McCaskill
www.fastertechnology.com

Jeff Cunningham

Jan 11, 2007, 8:19:04 PM1/11/07
John McCaskill wrote:
> I used the bus functional models from the IBM CoreConnect toolkit with
> EDK 7.1. EDK generated all the scripts to compile and run the test
> bench for me, but I did not run ModelSim from within EDK. Having EDK
> generate the scripts was nice, but is something that you can do
> yourself.
>
> The BFMs did not have any Swift models in them, so you do not need that
> feature. If I remember correctly, both VHDL and Verilog BFMs are
> provided, so as long as your code is all one or the other you do not
> need the mixed language feature.
>
> Some of the files are large, over 50K lines I think, so if there is a
> line limit on the MXE version that might be a problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> John McCaskill
> www.fastertechnology.com

Thanks, John. I was actually able to make this work in 8.2 as you
describe. The "Generate simulation HDL files" command built the scripts
and a starting point for a top level simulation file, then it was a
matter of providing a clock and reset and fiddling with the BFL
compiler. MXE is able to simulate it without complaining about any
statement count exceeded, though it is not exactly fast. About 1 sec per
microsecond for a setup with two 64 bit masters, one slave and a bus
monitor (plus xilinx's PLB logic) on a 1.6 Ghz laptop.
-Jeff