TCP/IP Chip!

Ali

Sep 5, 2006, 10:33:19 PM9/5/06

Is there any chip available with serial interface (three wires) for
TCP/IP connectivity?

ali

Donald

Sep 5, 2006, 11:31:19 PM9/5/06

TCP/IP is a software protocol.

Do you mean a chip with serial interface to connect to ethernet ?

Google for Atmel ENC28J60.

Ali

Sep 5, 2006, 11:35:10 PM9/5/06

Donald! thanks for pointer, yes you are right i'm asking a chip with
serial interface for ethernet connectivity.
Let me have a look at Atmel ENC28J60.

ali

mc

Sep 6, 2006, 12:26:58 AM9/6/06
>> Google for Atmel ENC28J60.

Do you mean Microchip ENC28J60?

It's a nice chip, and it's also available as a complete board (with Ethernet
transformers and the like) for $40. The serial interface is SPI.

Ali

Sep 6, 2006, 1:33:32 AM9/6/06

Yes ENC28J60 is provided by MicroChip not Atmel. Actually my system
design is lacking pins thats why i want to have serial interface (SPI
etc..). Do we have any other option ? with minimum pins required to
interface.

ali

Donald

Sep 6, 2006, 1:45:07 AM9/6/06
mc wrote:

>>>Google for Atmel ENC28J60.
>

> Do you mean Microchip ENC28J60?

Opps, Yes Microchip.

> It's a nice chip, and it's also available as a complete board (with Ethernet
> transformers and the like) for $40. The serial interface is SPI.

I would look carefully at this chip.

It draws over 100ma in idle.

The data sheet states 240ma active current.

donald

Richard H.

Sep 6, 2006, 2:02:52 AM9/6/06
Ali wrote:
> Yes ENC28J60 is provided by MicroChip not Atmel. Actually my system
> design is lacking pins thats why i want to have serial interface (SPI
> etc..). Do we have any other option ? with minimum pins required to
> interface.

Lantronix XPort
Digi ME

Meindert Sprang

Sep 6, 2006, 2:08:30 AM9/6/06
"Richard H." <rh...@no.spam> wrote in message

Even more current consumption..... (>300mA)

Meindert

Richard H.

Sep 6, 2006, 2:30:03 AM9/6/06
Meindert Sprang wrote:
>>Lantronix XPort
>>Digi ME
>

> Even more current consumption..... (>300mA)

Yep, a lot of power for just 10Mbps. IIRC, even more than a 10/100 like
ASIX.

But then power was not one of the OP's criteria, and how many Ethernet
devices are battery operated? Of course, if he only has 3 pins to
spare, there is the small question of whether he's got resources for an
entire IP stack.

At $50 a pop there are also other (larger) module options like Rabbit.
But at this price, why not switch micros and get a 32-bitter with
everything built-in for less?

Most of the requirements are missing here...

Ali

Sep 6, 2006, 3:11:06 AM9/6/06

The device is stationary so power consumption is not an issue here,
well guys let me elaborate my problem. We want to provide a web
interface of our RFID reader, at moment it is providing only RS232
interface for hosts. From reader to host the data will be always less
then 13 bytes and from host to reader it would be even less than that.
So I'm not looking for super higher data rates with encryption etc..

>Of course, if he only has 3 pins to spare, there is the small question of whether he's >got resources for an entire IP stack.

Yes that is an issue here, we never though that we would be having web
interface of our gadget but now management wants to add that as well.
We are lacking I/O pins from our MCU but maximum 6 to 7 pins can be
spared for that. As Lantronix XPort and Digi ME only requires 5
fundamental pins [
http://www.semiconductorstore.com/images/Items/Lantronix/XPort_blockdiagram.jpg
] ofcourse except power and ground but its kind of expensive solution
to us.

ali

FreeRTOS.org

Sep 6, 2006, 4:25:34 AM9/6/06
> Is there any chip available with serial interface (three wires) for
> TCP/IP connectivity?

TCP/IP implemented in hardware with I2C interface:
http://www.iinchip.com/wiznet/product_assp.html

Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
for Cortex-M3, ARM7, ARM9, HCS12, H8S, MSP430
Microblaze, Coldfire, AVR, x86, 8051 & PIC18 * * * *

Tauno Voipio

Sep 7, 2006, 9:41:34 AM9/7/06
Ali wrote:

> The device is stationary so power consumption is not an issue here,
> well guys let me elaborate my problem. We want to provide a web
> interface of our RFID reader, at moment it is providing only RS232
> interface for hosts. From reader to host the data will be always less
> then 13 bytes and from host to reader it would be even less than that.
> So I'm not looking for super higher data rates with encryption etc..
>

>>Of course, if he only has 3 pins to spare, there is the small question of whether he's >got resources for an entire IP stack.
>

> Yes that is an issue here, we never though that we would be having web
> interface of our gadget but now management wants to add that as well.
> We are lacking I/O pins from our MCU but maximum 6 to 7 pins can be
> spared for that. As Lantronix XPort and Digi ME only requires 5
> fundamental pins [
> http://www.semiconductorstore.com/images/Items/Lantronix/XPort_blockdiagram.jpg
> ] ofcourse except power and ground but its kind of expensive solution
> to us.
>

> ali

You will need a rudimentary HTTP server on top of the
TCP/IP stack. I doubt that the plain TCP/serial interface
provides the proper sequencing of request and response
disconnects for Web service.

Also, there's a need for storing the Web pages themselves
somewhere on the system, either in the converter unit
or the client behind the serial connection.

Been there - done that.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Ulf Samuelsson

Sep 7, 2006, 2:24:03 AM9/7/06
"Ali" <abdul...@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet

> Is there any chip available with serial interface (three wires) for
> TCP/IP connectivity?
>

> ali

Can build one with the AT91SAM7X128/256 and a TCP/IP stack.
www.freertos.org

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Meindert Sprang

Sep 7, 2006, 10:49:09 AM9/7/06
"Tauno Voipio" <tauno....@INVALIDiki.fi> wrote in message

> Ali wrote:
> > Yes that is an issue here, we never though that we would be having web
> > interface of our gadget but now management wants to add that as well.
> > We are lacking I/O pins from our MCU but maximum 6 to 7 pins can be
> > spared for that. As Lantronix XPort and Digi ME only requires 5
> > fundamental pins [

http://www.semiconductorstore.com/images/Items/Lantronix/XPort_blockdiagram.jpg
> > ] ofcourse except power and ground but its kind of expensive solution
> > to us.
> >

> > ali
> >

> You will need a rudimentary HTTP server on top of the
> TCP/IP stack. I doubt that the plain TCP/serial interface
> provides the proper sequencing of request and response
> disconnects for Web service.

The Lantronix devices have a webserver built in. You can load web pages into
the device.

Meindert

Viktor

Sep 7, 2006, 11:46:04 AM9/7/06

The Tibbo EM100 module uses 5V level serial async interface i.e. RX, TX
and GND.

take a look at www.tibbo.com

Ulf Samuelsson

Sep 9, 2006, 1:39:53 PM9/9/06