jorn filter...

Christopher McKinstry

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
i almost made the mistake of having all postings with 'jorn' or 'barger'
filtered... instead i decided to do a little research... which proved to
be very entertaining...

i ran ran all of comp.ai for the last 12 months through some stats...
scored each poster that occured more than 5 times on how many words or
phrases occured from the following groups; hostility, paranoia,
defensiveness... guess who scored top on all three? run the data yourself
and find out.

BTW: the person ranked number one is in a statistical cluster all by
himself. no one else even comes close. (this is not an artifact of the
number of postings he has made... i controlled for that).

--
K. Christopher McKinstry http://www.mbnet.mb.ca/~cmckin/
-The Truth is of course, is the Universe is playing God with dice...

Jorn Barger

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
In article <3t7t3g$2...@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>,

Christopher McKinstry <cmc...@mbnet.mb.ca> wrote:
>i ran ran all of comp.ai for the last 12 months through some stats...
>scored each poster that occured more than 5 times on how many words or
>phrases occured from the following groups; hostility, paranoia,
>defensiveness... guess who scored top on all three? run the data yourself
>and find out.

The reason Chris is so venomous towards me is, amazingly, that I refused
to sign a very broad non-disclosure agreement, to allow him to send me
a demo of his supposed Loebner-entry, "jackie".

I had explained to Chris that the sample dialogs he'd posted looked
falsified to me. But if they were not, my refusal hardly seems like a
cause for his savage feuding.

Chris also claims to be offering a million dollar Loebner-like prize,
that gives him marketing rights over the winning entry.

I invite him to post his supposed tallies, with enough details to
verify the number of posts, and the range of words.

Christopher McKinstry

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
there's a little more to it than that jorn... mostly i'm just sick of you
spouting your highly uninformed opinion all over the net. But i'd like to
set the record straight about the non-disclosure thing. what follows are
jorn's emails to me about this subject... (** indicates a comment i have
just now added)

i'm the quoted speaker, jorn is plain (unless otherewise noted)

** this is jorn's response to a posting i made to of of his famous 'stop
stealing my idea's' postings.

Date: Tue, 30 May 95 06:59 CDT
From: jo...@mcs.com (Jorn Barger)
To: cmc...@mbnet.mb.ca
Subject: Re: The Naive Witness and the Human Sciences
Newsgroups: comp.ai,sci.cognitive

In article <3qe9qh$8...@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca> you write:
>geez jorn, is the whole world trying to steal your mind??

this sounds rather derogatory.

>hope you don't think i'm trying to do the same... the email i sent you
>regarding the similarities between some stuff on your homepage and my
>Loebner entry Jackie are predated by 11 years of well documented work on
>ai and index theory... nothing published, but tons of email.

can you correctly summarize my fractal thicket approach? (bet you
can't...)

i think you ought to have emailed these comments rather than posting
them.

To: Christophe...@MBnet.MB.CA (Christopher McKinstry)
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 21:10:47 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Jorn Barger" <jo...@mcs.com>

> 2) i can do better than summarize it... i can show you a working program
> that uses similar (although better) technology that has been working and
> accumulating data since 1985 (as soon as you agree to sign the
> non-disclosure i asked you to sign a number of months ago).... where's you
> software??

** here's where things start to turn bad...

you know, my respect for you, which has always been marginal, is now
about negative infinity.

i told you very plainly that i cannot sign such a non-disclosure.
you said you'd be putting jackie on the net, anyway... right?

and if you understand fractal thicket theory, you ought to be able
to summarize its essence in a sentence... right?

you write like a teenager, and have shown frequent signs of
extreme cluelessness...

** here's my response to jorn (jorn in quotes, me plain) - no header
because i yanked it out of my outbox.

>you know, my respect for you, which has always been marginal, is now
>about negative infinity.

it's nice to know that you come out of the box with marginal respect for
people you don't know... somehow i'm not suprised.

>i told you very plainly that i cannot sign such a non-disclosure.
>you said you'd be putting jackie on the net, anyway... right?

yes, that is still true... but what's your point?

>and if you understand fractal thicket theory, you ought to be able
>to summarize its essence in a sentence... right?

conceptual compression/indexing. nothing new.

>you write like a teenager, and have shown frequent signs of
>extreme cluelessness...

awe, you hurt my feelings...

BTW: jorn, you are quite notorious (as you so often profess)... i'd love
to send you copies of the stuff i've been getting the past two days about
your notorious mental instability... but alas i don't want you to loose
it and kill anyone as some have predicted... anyway i'm sure you know
what the people you have worked with think of you.

the list of people who think you are an unemployable, unstable flake has
grown by one.

chris.

** to which mr. crybaby responds:

Subject: Hatemail from one of your users
To: Christophe...@mbnet.mb.ca (Christopher McKinstry)
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 12:59:55 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Jorn Barger" <jo...@mcs.com>
Cc: postm...@mbnet.mb.ca

Postmaster-
I've been getting extremely hateful email from one of your users,
Christophe...@MBnet.MB.CA (Christopher McKinstry)
and would like it to stop.

jorn barger

Christopher McKinstry

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
jorn... since you've forbidden me from sending you email, i must do this
in public. here's a little snip from someone who emailed me (i shall
supress who exactly), that might help you rethink you position in the
group in general:

>Seriously, when Jorn puts you on his hate list (shouldn't be long
>now), you can consider yourself in good company -- I've cataloged
>at least 1 Turing winner, six or seven AAAI Fellows, and a number
>of professors of AI.

some people may consider my bullying of you excessive... but reality just
gives you what you deserve... i'm just a very, very small part of that
reality. you've not only burnt alot of bridges... it seems you taken them
out strategically and left yourself alone on an island of poor
intellectual foundation.

get off the island that's what i'm shooting at.