[Idle] August, 2009

Daniel Friesen

Aug 25, 2009, 2:13:28 PM8/25/09
to serv...@googlegroups.com
The group has been idle for awhile so it's probably time for another
post like Kris Kowal's last Pending business post to kick start the
stale discussion.

Perhaps an [Idle] post every once in awhile when the group has been idle
would be a good idea. In this case there hasn't been any key discussion
so far this entire month. The only non-bikeshed, etc... posting was a
fery short thread about jsgi, no discussion on Filesystem or Binary
which are the key things we are trying to finish has happened since last
month.

To help the assortment of people who are likely sitting around cause
they're probably thinking "What can I do? I don't have any idea what can
be done to push forward." here's a helpful list:

Preferences:
Have a minute of spare time? We have a few show of hands and the like
pages you could drop into note your preference and help move things
forward just by doing that. Edit the wiki page, or post a comment with
your votes and I'll add them to the pages.
- https://wiki.mozilla.org/ServerJS/Binary/C/Show_of_hands
Binary/C needs a few preference notes to solve the issues of module
location, offset/length vs. begin/end, blob[idx], and the property
containing Blob/String indicating content type.
- Binary
Binary/B or Binary/C? Read over them both... What is your preference?
What parts of both do you like?

Cleanup:
Was one of the pages you wrote confusing, need some cleanup?
- https://wiki.mozilla.org/ServerJS/Modules/Meta
I'd have put it up in the preferences section, but personally I've
avoided the page cause A) it felt like an obvious unanimous thing rather
than something that needed my vote B) The show of hands section on that
page is confusing, I don't understand what I'm voting for by editing it.

Discussions:
Great chance to start up a discussion, here are some topics that appear
to have either been neglected, gone stale, or might not have been
brought forward enough:
- File API
w3c has a new File API, it's not really server suited, but it does have
some methods that could be handy to have compat with (I've put them in
my own MonkeyScript io File api draft already)... One problem, the w3c
API is object oriented (ie: Based on file instances), while the ServerJS
api is functional (based on passing paths to functions in the exports
object). Are the w3c's new API, along with the fact that the
implementations using Rhino have to create and discard a java File
object for each and every call, enough reason to consider switching over
to a File object based Filesystem API? (heh; side note, if that happens
it means one less API I create an alternate for, and instead just extend)

Kevin Dangoor

Aug 25, 2009, 2:26:33 PM8/25/09
to serv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Daniel Friesen <nadir.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

The group has been idle for awhile so it's probably time for another
post like Kris Kowal's last Pending business post to kick start the
stale discussion.

Thanks for sending this out. It is indeed good to bring things back to the front. This is August, so I'm not very surprised at the relative idleness... I, for one, took a bit of vacation this month and have been otherwise occupied with summer-y sorts of things.

It would not surprise me if others are similarly afflicted with time shortages that may go away soon.

Kevin

--
Kevin Dangoor

work: http://labs.mozilla.com/
email: k...@blazingthings.com
blog: http://www.BlueSkyOnMars.com

Kris Kowal

Aug 25, 2009, 3:56:16 PM8/25/09
to serv...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Daniel
Friesen<nadir.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cleanup:
> Was one of the pages you wrote confusing, need some cleanup?
> - https://wiki.mozilla.org/ServerJS/Modules/Meta
> I'd have put it up in the preferences section, but personally I've
> avoided the page cause A) it felt like an obvious unanimous thing rather
> than something that needed my vote B) The show of hands section on that
> page is confusing, I don't understand what I'm voting for by editing it.

I've attempted to clarify the show of hands.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/ServerJS/Modules/Meta#Show_of_Hands

Please do show your hand, even if it seems obvious. I don't think any
of us can move forward in earnest with a proposal unless there has
been support from a broad spectrum. We really can't accept silence as
consent, as it would be too easy to load up the standards with
specifications that no one has an interest in implementing.

Thanks for the boost, Daniel.

Kris Kowal