CodePlex.com tab belong on the CodePlex Foundation site?

mitchellashley

Sep 29, 2009, 5:21:01 PM9/29/09
to CodePlex Foundation
Since the CodePlex.com site remains the open source community site for
Microsoft open source contributions, it's confusing to have the
CodePlex.com link on the CodePlex Foundation site.

As I understand the two are separate and the foundation isn't taking
the .com site with it, shouldn't CodePlex.com either be removed or put
under a links page listing related or participating open source sites?

Mitchell
Converging Network LLC
http://www.networkworld.com/community/ashley

Stephen Bohlen

Sep 29, 2009, 5:34:34 PM9/29/09
to codeplex-...@googlegroups.com
As I'm given to understand (for better or for worse) Microsoft has 'given' the CodePlex.com 'name' to the CPF, who in turn is licensing the name to MS for its use, so technically (again, as I understand it) the .com property *is* a CPF 'asset'.

I wouldn't doubt that some aspect of this is designed to facilitate (again, for better or worse) CPF being able to 'leverage' the CP.com systems to help them 'help' OSS projects with infrastructure needs and to permit CPF to perhaps even garner a long-term stable revenue stream from its licensing of the .com name to MS...?

Again, mostly guesses on my part, but AFAIK, the cp.com 'web property' is a CPF asset.

Whether clarity is brought to the distinction betw cp.org and cp.com by having a link from one to the other or not is perhaps a different matter :)

-Steve B.