Is it possible to use GWT trunk (2.0) with the gwt-maven-plugin?

Matt Raible

Jun 24, 2009, 2:02:56 PM6/24/09
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
I tried posting this on the GWT mailing list[1], but got no response.

I have a 1.6 application that I build with the gwt-maven plugin (2.0-
beta26). I've successfully checked out and built GWT from trunk and
I'd like to use it in my project to 1) compile, 2) create a SOYC for
my project and 3) test using runAsync.

Is this possible if I switch to the codehaus plugin?

Thanks,

Matt

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/thread/e057d98d38cf5a21/5c4e8806f73cd6c3

Jason

Jun 24, 2009, 2:24:47 PM6/24/09
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
Hi Matt,
This confusing to me, as you've posted to the Codehaus gwt-maven-
plugin list, which is different from Charlie and Cooper's original gwt-
maven, which was at v2.0-beta26. The Codehaus project is at 1.2-
SNAPSHOT on trunk. I'm not being critical, but pointing this out,
because right now while things are "moving" (are they?) to Codehaus,
it's hella-confusing and communication is all over the place.

To answer your title, I have not been able to get GWT 2.0-trunk to
work with either gwt-maven, or gwt-maven-plugin. I've recently
migrated from gwt-maven to gwt-maven-plugin since Charlie announced
things were moving to Codehaus. Both plugins work for GWT 1.6
compile.

What is the expected output of SOYC? I'm unfamiliar with it, and
don't believe it's supported by the Codehaus plugin.

I, too, am interested in runAsync.

regards,
Jason
> [1]http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/threa...

Matt Raible

Jun 24, 2009, 2:36:26 PM6/24/09

On Jun 24, 12:24 pm, Jason <JasonThras...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
> This confusing to me, as you've posted to the Codehaus gwt-maven-
> plugin list, which is different from Charlie and Cooper's original gwt-
> maven, which was at v2.0-beta26.  The Codehaus project is at 1.2-
> SNAPSHOT on trunk.  I'm not being critical, but pointing this out,
> because right now while things are "moving" (are they?) to Codehaus,
> it's hella-confusing and communication is all over the place.

Yeah, I'm aware that things are all over the place, but the gwt-maven
site says to go here, so here I am. ;-)

> To answer your title, I have not been able to get GWT 2.0-trunk to
> work with either gwt-maven, or gwt-maven-plugin.  I've recently
> migrated from gwt-maven to gwt-maven-plugin since Charlie announced
> things were moving to Codehaus.  Both plugins work for GWT 1.6
> compile.

That's good to know.

> What is the expected output of SOYC?  I'm unfamiliar with it, and
> don't believe it's supported by the Codehaus plugin.

SOYC is Story of Your Compile and it's supposed to tell you where the
largest parts of your application are coming from. I'm not sure if it
spits out a report or what it looks like.

Slide 45 on the following presentation mentions using SYOC in order to
determine where it's best to use runAsync().

http://www.slideshare.net/fredsa/gwt-overview-and-feature-preview-sv-web-jug-june-16-2009

Based on slide 48, I'm guessing you invoke it by passing -C to the
compiler.

Matt

nicolas de loof

Jun 24, 2009, 3:54:34 PM6/24/09
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

googlecode gwt-maven has been merged with codehaus gwt-maven-plugin.

1.2-SNAPSHOT will focus on GWT 2.0 support, but I don't have tested it myself, so any contribution to point me on new compiler options or reporting capabilities is welcome. Please create issues in jira.codehaus.org/browse/MGWT for such missing features or compatibility breaks running gwt-maven-plugin with gwt 2.0. Not sure how the SOYC should be implemented, maybe as a maven reporting plugin ?

That beeing said, do you build yourself a gwt-2.0 binary ? Is there some milestone or preview "official" build available anywhere ?

Cheers,
Nicolas

Arthur Kalmenson

Jun 24, 2009, 10:56:05 PM6/24/09
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
> That beeing said, do you build yourself a gwt-2.0 binary ? Is there some
> milestone or preview "official" build available anywhere ?

GWT 2.0 is basically in the trunk of the GWT project. You have to pull
it out and compile it yourself.

I was hoping that you could just drop a GWT trunk jar as a maven
dependency and it would work as before. Does hosted mode not launch?
What issues were you running into? I understand that providing support
for SOYC and runAsync might require compiler options, but does hosted
mode launch and everything else work?

--
Arthur Kalmenson

Matt Raible

Jun 25, 2009, 12:48:29 PM6/25/09

On Jun 24, 8:56 pm, Arthur Kalmenson <arthur.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That beeing said, do you build yourself a gwt-2.0 binary ? Is there some
> > milestone or preview "official" build available anywhere ?
>
> GWT 2.0 is basically in the trunk of the GWT project. You have to pull
> it out and compile it yourself.
>
> I was hoping that you could just drop a GWT trunk jar as a maven
> dependency and it would work as before. Does hosted mode not launch?
> What issues were you running into? I understand that providing support
> for SOYC and runAsync might require compiler options, but does hosted
> mode launch and everything else work?

You can - I've successfully done this. After building the JARs on my
Mac, I zipped up build/staging/**/*.jnilib and installed them in my
local repo.

mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=com.google.gwt -DartifactId=gwt-
user -Dversion=2.0.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=build/lib/gwt-
user.jar
mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=com.google.gwt -DartifactId=gwt-
servlet -Dversion=2.0.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=build/lib/gwt-
servlet.jar
mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=com.google.gwt -DartifactId=gwt-dev
-Dversion=2.0.0-SNAPSHOT -Dclassifier=mac -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=build/
lib/gwt-dev-mac.jar
mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=com.google.gwt -DartifactId=gwt-dev
-Dversion=2.0.0-SNAPSHOT -Dclassifier=mac-libs -Dpackaging=zip -
Dfile=build/dist/gwt-mac-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.zip

I did have to export GWT_VERSION=2.0.0-SNAPSHOT in order to get the
version number to work.

With this, I'm able to compile and run hosted mode with the gwt-maven
plugin (from Google code). I hope to try the Codehaus version today.

Matt

> --
> Arthur Kalmenson
>
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 3:54 PM, nicolas de
>

> loof<nicolas.del...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
>
> > googlecode gwt-maven has been merged with codehaus gwt-maven-plugin.
>
> > 1.2-SNAPSHOT will focus on GWT 2.0 support, but I don't have tested it
> > myself, so any contribution to point me on new compiler options or reporting
> > capabilities is welcome. Please create issues
> > in jira.codehaus.org/browse/MGWT for such missing features or compatibility
> > breaks running gwt-maven-plugin with gwt 2.0. Not sure how the SOYC should
> > be implemented, maybe as a maven reporting plugin ?
> > That beeing said, do you build yourself a gwt-2.0 binary ? Is there some
> > milestone or preview "official" build available anywhere ?
> > Cheers,
> > Nicolas

> >> Yeah, I'm aware that things are all over the place, but the gwt-maven
> >> site says to go here, so here I am. ;-)

> >> That's good to know.

> >> SOYC is Story of Your Compile and it's supposed to tell you where the
> >> largest parts of your application are coming from. I'm not sure if it
> >> spits out a report or what it looks like.
>
> >> Slide 45 on the following presentation mentions using SYOC in order to
> >> determine where it's best to use runAsync().
>
> >>http://www.slideshare.net/fredsa/gwt-overview-and-feature-preview-sv-...

Jason

Jun 25, 2009, 6:29:41 PM6/25/09
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
Matt, thanks for the hints on installing GWT 2.0 trunk files into the
local repo. I can confirm that GWT 2.0 trunk, (r5632 today) does
indeed work with the Codehaus gwt-maven-plugin 1.2-SNAPSHOT trunk
(r10045 today). The only thing I had to change in my pom.xml was the
gwt.version property. Note that I've also got my GWT_HOME set,
pointing to an exploded gwt-mac-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz.

I didn't find the .zip file you referenced, but created it from
the .tar.gz version for a mac (I'm also on a MacBook Pro). Here's a
mini-script for anyone else building GWT2.0 from trunk.

cheers,
Jason

#!/bin/bash
export GWT_TOOLS=$HOME/Documents/dev/google-web-toolkit-tools
export GWT_VERSION=2.0.0-SNAPSHOT

svn up
ant clean
ant

mvn install:install-file \
-DgroupId=com.google.gwt \
-DartifactId=gwt-user \
-Dversion=2.0.0-SNAPSHOT \
-Dpackaging=jar \
-Dfile=build/lib/gwt-user.jar

mvn install:install-file \
-DgroupId=com.google.gwt \
-DartifactId=gwt-servlet \
-Dversion=2.0.0-SNAPSHOT \
-Dpackaging=jar \
-Dfile=build/lib/gwt-servlet.jar

mvn install:install-file \
-DgroupId=com.google.gwt \
-DartifactId=gwt-dev \
-Dversion=2.0.0-SNAPSHOT \
-Dclassifier=mac \
-Dpackaging=jar \
-Dfile=build/lib/gwt-dev-mac.jar

mkdir temp
tar -zxf build/dist/gwt-mac-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz -C temp
cd temp/gwt-mac-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
zip -0 gwt-mac-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.zip lib*.jnilib
cd ../..

mvn install:install-file \
-DgroupId=com.google.gwt \
-DartifactId=gwt-dev \
-Dversion=2.0.0-SNAPSHOT \
-Dclassifier=mac-libs \
-Dpackaging=zip \
-Dfile=temp/gwt-mac-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT/gwt-mac-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.zip

Jason Thrasher

Jun 26, 2009, 2:06:31 PM6/26/09
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
Hi Nicolas,
Thanks for adding SOYC support on MGWT-92, and to Matt for pointing it
out. I also appreciate all of the other flags being available for
GWT2.0 support, as it is cutting down on my compile/iteration time.

I reviewed your changes, and appreciate that you've taken the time to
orient the changes to your style. Is there a way patches should be
submitted in the future to reduce your load?

kind regards,
Jason

nicolas de loof

Jun 26, 2009, 2:09:08 PM6/26/09
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
Patch was fine, I just reviewed it because I was myself working on 2.0 support
Any other patch will be welcome :)