gwt 2.3 / new plugin

Chuck Irvine

May 4, 2011, 9:27:59 AM5/4/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
Is there any intended timeframe on when a new version of the gwt-maven-plugin will be released to coincide with gwt 2.3? I tried to upgrade to gwt 2.3 yesterday, but my maven project build failed so I backed up to 2.2. Unfortunately, I didn't save the error output but I can reproduce it without too much trouble is so desired. Some sort of xml parsing error. Thanks -Chuck

David Chandler

May 4, 2011, 10:24:05 AM5/4/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Chuck,

In the mean time, you can specifically tell the plugin to use GWT 2.3.0 in the plugin dependencies:

<plugin>

<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>

<artifactId>gwt-maven-plugin</artifactId>

<version>2.2.0</version>

<dependencies>

<dependency>

<groupId>com.google.gwt</groupId>

<artifactId>gwt-user</artifactId>

<version>2.3.0</version>

</dependency>

<dependency>

<groupId>com.google.gwt</groupId>

<artifactId>gwt-dev</artifactId>

<version>2.3.0</version>

</dependency>

<dependency>

<groupId>com.google.gwt</groupId>

<artifactId>gwt-servlet</artifactId>

<version>2.3.0</version>

</dependency>

</dependencies>

</plugin>

/dmc

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Chuck Irvine <chuck.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any intended timeframe on when a new version of the gwt-maven-plugin will be released to coincide with gwt 2.3? I tried to upgrade to gwt 2.3 yesterday, but my maven project build failed so I backed up to 2.2. Unfortunately, I didn't save the error output but I can reproduce it without too much trouble is so desired. Some sort of xml parsing error. Thanks -Chuck

David Chandler
Developer Programs Engineer, Google Web Toolkit
w: http://code.google.com/
b: http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/
t: @googledevtools

Chuck Irvine

May 4, 2011, 10:37:30 AM5/4/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
Hey David,

Right, that is what I did, i.e. specified 2.3 as my GWT version in my pom file. Specifying 2.3 is what caused my maven build to fail. After I reverted to 2.2, it started working again. Below is the error output when I specify 2.3.

Thanks, Chuck

781  [Thread-1] INFO  o.s.c.s.AbstractApplicationContext - Closing org.springframework.context.support.GenericApplicationContext@156b6b9: startup date [Wed May 04 09:31:37 CDT 2011]; root of context hierarchy
781  [Thread-1] INFO  o.s.b.f.s.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry - Destroying singletons in org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@19d75ee: defining beans [service/adminConsoleService,org.springframework.context.annotation.internalConfigurationAnnotationProcessor,org.springframework.context.annotation.internalAutowiredAnnotationProcessor,org.springframework.context.annotation.internalRequiredAnnotationProcessor,org.springframework.context.annotation.internalCommonAnnotationProcessor]; root of factory hierarchy
[INFO]
[INFO] --- gwt-maven-plugin:2.2.0:compile (default) @ adminconsole ---
[INFO] auto discovered modules [com.assurant.inc.oa.adminconsole.AdminConsole]
[INFO] Loading inherited module 'com.google.gwt.user.User'
[INFO]    Loading inherited module 'com.google.gwt.canvas.Canvas'
[INFO]       Loading inherited module 'com.google.gwt.canvas.dom.DOM'
[INFO]          Loading inherited module 'com.google.gwt.dom.DOM'
[INFO]             Loading inherited module 'com.google.gwt.user.UserAgent'
[INFO]                [ERROR] Element 'extend-property' beginning on line 27 contains unexpected attribute 'fallback-value'
[INFO]                [ERROR] Failure while parsing XML
[INFO] com.google.gwt.core.ext.UnableToCompleteException: (see previous log entries)

David Chandler

May 4, 2011, 10:56:13 AM5/4/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
[ERROR] Element 'extend-property' beginning on line 27 contains unexpected attribute 'fallback-value'

fallback-value was added in GWT 2.3 to support IE9. I'm guessing you're picking up gwt-user 2.3.0 but gwt-dev 2.2.0. Try mvn clean first, then run mvn with -X and inspect the run classpath to make sure you have only the 2.3.0 versions of the GWT jars.

FYI, I'm using GWT 2.3.0 and gwt-maven-plugin 2.2.0 without any issues.

HTH,
/dmc

Jason Thrasher

May 4, 2011, 4:17:26 PM5/4/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
David,
Thanks for the answer, and I've got something to add...

If people are seeing errors like "The import javax.validation.ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved" for GWT 2.3 projects, be sure to include the javax.validation dependency for the project (i.e. OUTSIDE of the gwt-maven-plugin dependencies noted in David's comment).

<dependency>
<groupId>javax.validation</groupId>
<artifactId>validation-api</artifactId>
<version>1.0.0.GA</version>
<scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>javax.validation</groupId>
<artifactId>validation-api</artifactId>
<version>1.0.0.GA</version>
<classifier>sources</classifier>
<scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>

I've found this is needed even if javax validations aren't used.

cheers,
Jason

David Chandler

May 4, 2011, 5:23:39 PM5/4/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jason, and I'm very embarrassed. I meant to add the validation deps to the gwt-user pom since they're now required. I will do it right now so they make it into the next release. All my test projects already have the validation deps, so I didn't catch when testing :-(

/dmc

Raphael André Bauer

May 5, 2011, 7:08:11 AM5/5/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
Simply adding all dependencies did not work for our project.

But the following 3 steps made gwt-maven-plugin 2.2.0 work with gwt 2.3.0:

1. add validation to <dependencies> section (proposed by jason):

<dependency>
<groupId>javax.validation</groupId>
<artifactId>validation-api</artifactId>
<version>1.0.0.GA</version>
<scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>javax.validation</groupId>
<artifactId>validation-api</artifactId>
<version>1.0.0.GA</version>
<classifier>sources</classifier>
<scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>

2. add gwt dependencies to <dependencies> section (proposed by
drfibonacci, but with scopes):

<dependency>
<groupId>com.google.gwt</groupId>
<artifactId>gwt-servlet</artifactId>
<version>2.3.0</version>
</dependency>

<dependency>
<groupId>com.google.gwt</groupId>
<artifactId>gwt-user</artifactId>
<version>2.3.0</version>

<scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>
<dependency>

<groupId>com.google.gwt</groupId>
<artifactId>gwt-dev</artifactId>
<version>2.3.0</version>

<scope>test</scope>
</dependency>

3. add 2.3.0 dependencies to gwt plugin: in <plugins> section
(proposed nowhere, but documented well in gwt-maven-plugin docs):
<plugins>

<plugin>
<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
<artifactId>gwt-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<version>2.2.0</version>

... YOUR CONFIG STUFF ....

<dependencies>
<dependency>
<groupId>com.google.gwt</groupId>
<artifactId>gwt-user</artifactId>
<version>2.3.0</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>com.google.gwt</groupId>
<artifactId>gwt-dev</artifactId>
<version>2.3.0</version>
</dependency>

</dependencies>
</plugin>

After completing those 3 steps 2.3.0 is up and running (native IE9
support yea!) :)

Feedback appreciated...

Best,

Raphael

ra

May 5, 2011, 7:14:07 AM5/5/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users

On 5 Mai, 13:08, Raphael André Bauer <raphael.andre.ba...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I just read that drfibonacci wrote about dependencies inside the
plugins section.... Sorry about that...

But doesn't change the outcome: gwt 2.3.0 and gwt maven plugin 2.2.0
is up and running :)

Best,

Raphael

David Chandler

May 5, 2011, 10:27:59 AM5/5/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for posting the details and follow-up. Glad it's working for you.

/dmc

nicolas de loof

May 5, 2011, 11:54:28 AM5/5/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
I'll start testing the plugin with GWT 2.3 next week and push a release for the plugin ASAP

Thomas Broyer

May 5, 2011, 12:18:26 PM5/5/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
Could you please make the new options configurable at the same time? off the top of my head: -deploy, which was introduced in 2.2, there might be others (Compiler --help will tell you ;-) )

nicolas de loof

May 6, 2011, 4:19:42 AM5/6/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
Please create jira tiket for that with a link to sdk doc,
thanks