can't get "run as WebApplication" without compile errors

tanteanni

Feb 10, 2011, 11:39:20 AM2/10/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
First I am new to GWT (the Tutorial is done) but have some Maven
skills.

I just tried to get a GWT-Maven hybrid Project working (the idea
behind the plugin is great!) but one Problem remains:
First i have 2 choices to import the Project, as Maven- or "general"-
Project. I tried both the first compiles fine but the mentioned "run
as"- Command is missing*. The letter yields many compile errors - it
seems gwt is not resolved properly. The compile error can be fixed by
"Maven->Update Project Configuration" - but then the run as Option is
gone. To get the Option (and Compile Errors) back I activated "Use
Google Web Toolkit" (using specific sdk at .../.m2/.../gwt -2.1.0, and
correctly set entry point)

But how to get Both: a Project without compile-errors and the "run as-
>Web Application" Option. ("mvn gwt:run" is working correctly)

My first guess is that the "specific sdk" is not correctly configured.
In the specified path (.m2/.../gwt) are 4 folders one of the is
"gwt" (the others are gwt-dev, gwt-servlet, gwt-user). Could it be
that the correct path is gwt/gwt? But how to set it (it seem to be set
via the plugin?).

*"Google Eclipse plugin automatically handle launching the Hosted mode
browser with a simple right click on your module gwt.xml file "run as
> web application"."

David Chandler

Feb 10, 2011, 12:05:00 PM2/10/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
Which version of GPE do you have? Have you also installed m2eclipse and m2extras plugins in Eclipse?

/dmc

David Chandler
Developer Programs Engineer, Google Web Toolkit
w: http://code.google.com/
b: http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/
t: @googledevtools

tanteanni

Feb 11, 2011, 1:44:28 AM2/11/11

On 10 Feb., 18:05, David Chandler <drfibona...@google.com> wrote:
> Which version of GPE do you have? Have you also installed m2eclipse and
> m2extras plugins in Eclipse?

GPE 1.4.2 and m2eclipse (0.1.2) is installed. No m2extras are
installed. i just googled m2extras and i guess that could be the
problem :-).

thx i will report back.
> >http://groups.google.com/group/codehaus-mojo-gwt-maven-plugin-users?h....

tanteanni

Feb 11, 2011, 3:51:28 AM2/11/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
i just installed m2e extras - the Problem remains. since my first
description was probably confusing, i will describe how i reproduce
the problem:

1. generating a project with
"
mvn archetype:generate \
-DarchetypeRepository=repo1.maven.org
-DarchetypeGroupId=org.codehaus.mojo \
-DarchetypeArtifactId=gwt-maven-plugin \
-DarchetypeVersion=2.1.0-1
"
2. import the project via general->import existing project
3. getting many compile errors -> can't resolve gwt types ("use google
web toolkit" and "use default sdk (gwt - 2.1.1) is set in project
properties/google...), run as web application is available
4. right click on project->maven->update project configuration solves
compile errors but disabled "use google web"
5. enabling "use google web toolkit" and "use specific sdk: ....m2\...
\gwt -2.1.0" yields: "Description Resource Path Location Type The
output directory for the project should be set to /myprojectname/src/
main/webapp/WEB-INF/classes, "run as web application" is available
6. running the app ("errors exist..."->proceed)
7. trying app in browser, seem to work but the development view
yields:
"
[DEBUG] [auswDB] - Validating newly compiled units
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Errors in 'jar:file:/C:/Programme/eclipse-helios/
plugins/com.google.gwt.eclipse.sdkbundle.2.1.1_2.1.1.v201012170127/
gwt-2.1.1/gwt-user.jar!/com/google/gwt/view/client/
CellPreviewEvent.java'
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Line 18: The import
com.google.gwt.cell.client.Cell.Context cannot be resolved
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Line 66: Context cannot be resolved to a type
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Line 88: Context cannot be resolved to a type
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Line 107: Context cannot be resolved to a type
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Line 111: Context cannot be resolved to a type
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Line 132: Context cannot be resolved to a type
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Line 140: Context cannot be resolved to a type
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Line 141: Context cannot be resolved to a type
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Line 155: Context cannot be resolved to a type
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Errors in 'jar:file:/C:/Programme/eclipse-helios/
plugins/com.google.gwt.eclipse.sdkbundle.2.1.1_2.1.1.v201012170127/
gwt-2.1.1/gwt-user.jar!/com/google/gwt/view/client/
DefaultSelectionEventManager.java'
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Line 336: The method clear() is undefined for the
type MultiSelectionModel<capture#13-of ? super T>
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Line 467: The method getVisibleItemCount() is
undefined for the type HasData<T>
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Line 471: The method getVisibleItem(int) is
undefined for the type HasData<T>
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Errors in 'file:/C:/Workspace/myprojectname/src/
test/java/de/stalabw/zensus2011/auswertungsDB/client/
GwtTestauswDB.java'
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Line 14: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.junit.client.GWTTestCase; did you forget to inherit a
required module?
"
And
"09:47:26.581 [DEBUG] [auswDB] Validating newly compiled units"

On 10 Feb., 18:05, David Chandler <drfibona...@google.com> wrote:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/codehaus-mojo-gwt-maven-plugin-users?h....

Olivier Lamy

Feb 11, 2011, 6:01:09 AM2/11/11
2011/2/11 tanteanni <tant...@hotmail.com>:

> i just installed m2e extras - the Problem remains. since my first
> description was probably confusing, i will describe how i reproduce
> the problem:
>
> 1. generating a project with
>   "
>    mvn archetype:generate \
>   -DarchetypeRepository=repo1.maven.org
>   -DarchetypeGroupId=org.codehaus.mojo \
>   -DarchetypeArtifactId=gwt-maven-plugin \
>   -DarchetypeVersion=2.1.0-1
>  "
> 2. import the project via general->import existing project

Try with
File -> Import -> Maven -> Existing Maven Projects
Perso I always use this (and tested the archetype with this :-) )

Olivier Lamy
http://twitter.com/olamy
http://www.linkedin.com/in/olamy

Jeff Larsen

Feb 11, 2011, 9:18:52 AM2/11/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
There is a problem with the archetype. It defaults to using 2.1.0 not 2.1.1 and it doesn't use the ${gwtVersion} but 2.1.0. You're probably getting errors because you have different versions of GWT on your classpath.

change your pom to use 2.1.1 instead of 2.1.0 and I think you should be gtg.

David Chandler

Feb 11, 2011, 9:24:06 AM2/11/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
And Import Existing Maven project as Olivier said.

/dmc

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Jeff Larsen <lars...@gmail.com> wrote:
There is a problem with the archetype. It defaults to using 2.1.0 not 2.1.1 and it doesn't use the ${gwtVersion} but 2.1.0. You're probably getting errors because you have different versions of GWT on your classpath.

change your pom to use 2.1.1 instead of 2.1.0 and I think you should be gtg.

tanteanni

Feb 14, 2011, 1:43:09 AM2/14/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
at the beginning of this "trial" i tried both kinds of projects. the
problem with maven project is that there is no "entry point module"
set up (project properties) and can't be add (there are no matching
items). the general project sets up the correct class (implementing
entry point).
i also tried to manually set the gwt version to 2.1.1: the errors on
starting the app in the browser are reduced to
"
[DEBUG] [auswDB] - Validating newly compiled units
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Errors in 'file:/C:/
Workspace/...testMyProject.java'
[ERROR] [auswDB] - Line 14: No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.junit.client.GWTTestCase; did you forget to inherit a
required module?
[INFO] [auswDB] - Module auswDB has been loaded
"
07:34:55.060 [DEBUG] [auswDB] Validating newly compiled units
"
Is this an error? Or is this ok with a freshly generated project?
The "The output directory for the project should be set to /... "-
error remains. I know this could be "ignored" via settings.

Because i used a copy of one generated project all the time, i will
try to generate a more "general" project. Can someone please post
settings(for archetype generation) for a project that works fine? Or
may be a zip with a generated project?

On 11 Feb., 15:24, David Chandler <drfibona...@google.com> wrote:
> And Import Existing Maven project as Olivier said.
>
> /dmc
>

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Jeff Larsen <larse...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There is a problem with the archetype. It defaults to using 2.1.0 not 2.1.1
> > and it doesn't use the ${gwtVersion} but 2.1.0. You're probably getting
> > errors because you have different versions of GWT on your classpath.
>
> > change your pom to use 2.1.1 instead of 2.1.0 and I think you should be
> > gtg.

tanteanni

Feb 14, 2011, 2:56:49 AM2/14/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
a little addition:
the "output dir should be set"-error is gone after disabling "Launch
and deploy from this directory". so only error left is the "No source
code is available for type com.google.gwt.junit.client.GWTTestCase" -
error.

i guess both problems occur due to "importing general project" and not
maven project?!
but how to get an "entry point module" into the list in project
properties->google->web toolkit if i import as maven project?

David Chandler

Feb 14, 2011, 3:24:25 AM2/14/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
"Import as maven project" will automatically configure the entry point if it's declared in a .gwt.xml file in your project. Here's a working sample project you can try to verify your setup:

/dmc

tanteanni

Feb 14, 2011, 4:18:47 AM2/14/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
thx, but this project has a different setup: the gwt.xml is located at
src/main/java/com/listwidget/listwidget.gwt.xml and not at src/main/
resources where the generator puts the file. besides this my
repository manager seem to miss some repositories (objectify artifact
is missing).
but all your help together helped me much. now i know that the
m2eclipse or m2e extras seem to can't find/recognize the
maprojectname.gwt.xml - the generator puts it into src/main/resources/
firstpackagepart/.../lastpackagepart/. the file it self is generated
correctly (the entry point is set correctly and its working if
imported as general project or ran via mvn gwt:run).
since the installation of m2e extras didn't changed anything it could
be caused by a wrong installation, couldn't it? (about eclipse-
>installation details say that "maven integration for wtp" is
installed, version 0.11.1) Is there a way to check m2e extras? are
there settings/ a view or something else to "see" if m2e extras are
installed? Are m2e extras even responsible for setting up "entry
point"?

On 14 Feb., 09:24, David Chandler <drfibona...@google.com> wrote:
> "Import as maven project" will automatically configure the entry point if
> it's declared in a .gwt.xml file in your project. Here's a working sample
> project you can try to verify your setup:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/listwidget/
>
> /dmc
>

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 2:56 AM, tanteanni <tantea...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > a little addition:
> > the "output dir should be set"-error is gone after disabling "Launch
> > and deploy from this directory". so only error left is the "No source
> > code is available for type com.google.gwt.junit.client.GWTTestCase" -
> > error.
>
> > i guess both problems occur due to "importing general project" and not
> > maven project?!
> > but how to get an "entry point module" into the list in  project
> > properties->google->web toolkit if i import as maven project?

David Chandler

Feb 14, 2011, 4:40:15 AM2/14/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
m2extras isn't responsible for finding the entry point. Try adding src/main/resources to your classpath manually in Eclipse, then adding the entry point through the Google | Web Toolkit properties dialog.

/dmc

tanteanni

Feb 14, 2011, 5:23:26 AM2/14/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
thx but :-)

i guess you mean project-properties->java-build-path->source, source
folders on build path? there is a path myproject/src/main/resources
with following settings:
output folder: target/...snapshot/web-inf/classes
included: (All)
Excluded: **
native...: none
(what is this filters for? including "all" and exluding ** (all?))

if i remove the excluded one, i got the "entry point"! but also the
following error (in src/test/java/GwtTestMyProject.java !):
"com.google.gwt.junit.client.GWTTestCase can not be found in source
packages. Check the inheritance chain from your module; it may not be
inheriting a required module or a module may not be adding its source
path entries properly."

if i run the project ignoring the errors i got the error mentioned
above (" No source code is available for type
com.google.gwt.junit.client.GWTTestCase; did you forget to inherit a
required module?").
now i know the relevant differences between the 2 importing strategies
but both are failing with its defaults?!
To be sure that this is a eclipse/settings problem, can someone please
generate a default project via "mvn archetype:generate..." try if its
working and posting it somewhere? then i could import it an see if
error occur. if so my eclipse set up is responsible, if if no errors
occur the given parameters for project generation must be the problem.

David Chandler

Feb 14, 2011, 5:43:11 AM2/14/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com

Does your gwt.XML inherit the test module?

tanteanni

Feb 14, 2011, 6:11:12 AM2/14/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
thx

Does your gwt.XML inherit the test module?:

i guess not, there are 2 "inherits" ...user.user
and ...standard.Standard (i read here
http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit/browse_thread/thread/2acc935434a987b0
that this class should be excluded (on runtime)?!)

the problem is not that there are wrong settings (probably i could fix
this last problem by manipulating the gwt.xml) but why there are wrong
settings? For example as soon as i "Update Project Configuration" (m2
sub menu) the build patch for src/main/resources is reset to "include:
(ALL) exclude: **" and the "run as web application" is gone (because
the entry point disappears and "use google web toolkit" is disabled).

to recall my first post: the only problem i have on importing
"existing maven project" is the missing "run as web application". and
the cause seems to be a gap between m2eclipse and gwt-plugin.
m2eclipse don't wants to "use google web toolkit" and don't know where
to find the gwt.xml (because it sets the filters to exclude src/main/
resources completly).
am i am right that nobody else could reproduce this behavior? (all is
fine with freshly generated project) then the only problem could be a
misconfiguration of my eclipse?
But how to be sure about that?

On 14 Feb., 11:43, David Chandler <drfibona...@google.com> wrote:
> Does your gwt.XML inherit the test module?

tanteanni

Feb 14, 2011, 8:07:09 AM2/14/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
just another small addition

i just downloaded and "installed" a fresh eclipse. after installing
gwt, m2eclipse and m2e extras i imported the generated project - the
problem persists :-(.

David Chandler

Feb 15, 2011, 5:31:46 AM2/15/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
I don't think that Google Plugin for Eclipse is excluding src/main/resources from your classpath, but to verify your Eclipse setup, can you please follow the instructions here for the Expenses sample app?

nicolas de loof

Feb 15, 2011, 6:03:42 AM2/15/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
m2eclipse exludes src/main/resources from Eclipse classpath to enable maven-side resource handling (filtering). M2eclipse set an excludes * rule to force this. The side effect here is that GEP doesn't see those resources as Eclipse resources (they are available in build classpath only)

tanteanni

Feb 15, 2011, 6:36:04 AM2/15/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
the problem with excluding .../resources seem to be an old problem:

http://www.ducktools.org/2010/05/gwt-eclipse-tomcat-2.html
and
http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/Resources-folder-exclusions-GWT-m2clipse-problem-td138853.html

for example.
but i thought this problem is solved by m2e extras (gwt support)? Or
what does m2e extras do for gwt support? (i saw no difference after
installing it).
on the other hand the maven-gwt-plugin site does not mention any
problems regarding ../resources exclusion (it should work out of the
box, shouldn't it?).
Because of that i am eager to see a working example and the
corresponding build path settings.

On 15 Feb., 12:03, nicolas de loof <nicolas.del...@gmail.com> wrote:
> m2eclipse exludes src/main/resources from Eclipse classpath to enable
> maven-side resource handling (filtering). M2eclipse set an excludes * rule
> to force this. The side effect here is that GEP doesn't see those resources
> as Eclipse resources (they are available in build classpath only)
>
> 2011/2/15 David Chandler <drfibona...@google.com>
>
> > I don't think that Google Plugin for Eclipse is excluding
> > src/main/resources from your classpath, but to verify your Eclipse setup,
> > can you please follow the instructions here for the Expenses sample app?
>
> >http://www.google.com/codesearch/p?hl=en#A1edwVHBClQ/samples/expenses...
>
> > On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 6:11 AM, tanteanni <tantea...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> thx
>
> >> Does your gwt.XML inherit the test module?:
>
> >> i guess not, there are 2 "inherits" ...user.user
> >> and ...standard.Standard (i read here
>
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit/browse_thread/threa...

nicolas de loof

Feb 15, 2011, 6:54:56 AM2/15/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com

but i thought this problem is solved by m2e extras (gwt support)? Or
what does m2e extras do for gwt support? (i saw no difference after
installing it).

I can't find any gwt extension in m2eclipse update site, and am not aware of any progress on this way. Can you provide a link please ?

Thomas Broyer

Feb 15, 2011, 6:58:01 AM2/15/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
That being said, I really do think the gwt.xml (and ui.xml, etc.) should live in src/main/java (or src/main/gwt or something), not src/main/resources: src/main/resources contains things that are to be bundled in the generated artifact (when packaging=jar, they're just copied into the JAR; when packaging=war, they're copied into the WAR's WEB-INF/classes). This is clearly not what you expect from gwt.xml et al.

The more I use Maven (I'm still relatively new to it, using it only since june last year), the more I believe there should be new a kind of packaging specifically for GWT "libraries" (as there already are for Flex, for instance), that would:
   a. compile src/main/java into a JAR and add src/main/resources => deploy on your server
   b. compile src/main/java and src/main/gwt into another JAR (classifier=client) and add src/main/java, src/main/gwt and src/main/resources => use for developping your GWT client code
   If you have dependencies besides GWT, then you should probably have several modules (one for server-side code, one for client-side code; maybe one for shared code, unless you make the "client" depend on the "server")

But if you develop your app all in the same packaging=war module (can be handy for small projects, but not really "Maven style"), then put all your client code (.java, gwt.xml, ui.xml, etc.) in some src/main/gwt (and manually add it to your build path in Eclipse, or use a m2e profile to add it as a source folder), because you don't want to deploy it in your webapp.
Either that, or exclude **/client/** from your WAR (and make sure you don't put client-side code outside **/client/**, or server-side code inside **/client/**)

tanteanni

Feb 15, 2011, 7:33:37 AM2/15/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
you can get m2e extras via http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/sites/m2e-extras
(eclipse update site) - but i don't know what the m2e extras- gwt-
support is doing

nicolas de loof

Feb 15, 2011, 7:33:50 AM2/15/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com

Adding such a gwt-dedicated folder in maven configuration requires all the build chain to get upgraded, including IDEs. For this single reason I can't imagine this to occur in near future. Just having m2eclipse and GEP to work together was a pain.

Anyway, contribution to the plugin are welcome :P
--
Nicolas

2011/2/15 Thomas Broyer <t.br...@gmail.com>

nicolas de loof

Feb 15, 2011, 7:39:40 AM2/15/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
I know this URL but can't find any reference to GWT in the update site
From what I can see, m2e only support OSGi, WTP, Subclipse and "commonly used plugins", nothing about GWT
Did I miss something ?

@David, didn't you plan for a m2eclipse project configurator as part of GEP ?

Capture d’écran 2011-02-15 à 13.36.51.png

2011/2/15 tanteanni <tant...@hotmail.com>
Capture d’eÌ cran 2011-02-15 aÌ€ 13.36.51.png

tanteanni

Feb 15, 2011, 7:42:11 AM2/15/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
i just checked out and imported ...samples/expenses. as with your
first example (listwidget) this one doesn't have the problem but now
we know why:
the gwt.xml are located in src/main/java and the total exclusion of
src/main/resources(the expanses project also excludes **) isn't a
problem.

so how to generate such an maven/gwt-project? (the current maven-gwt-
plugin puts gwt.xml in wrong place)
i can't believe that this is a bug - screenshots on the website
clearly show gwt.xml in resources path.

On 15 Feb., 11:31, David Chandler <drfibona...@google.com> wrote:
> I don't think that Google Plugin for Eclipse is excluding src/main/resources
> from your classpath, but to verify your Eclipse setup, can you please follow
> the instructions here for the Expenses sample app?http://www.google.com/codesearch/p?hl=en#A1edwVHBClQ/samples/expenses...
>

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 6:11 AM, tanteanni <tantea...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > thx
>
> > Does your gwt.XML inherit the test module?:
>
> > i guess not, there are 2 "inherits" ...user.user
> > and ...standard.Standard (i read here
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit/browse_thread/threa...

nicolas de loof

Feb 15, 2011, 7:48:43 AM2/15/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
i can't believe that this is a bug - screenshots on the website
clearly show gwt.xml in resources path.

If you consider the gwt-maven-plugin website, just remember the plugin is made on my spare time and screen captures may not reflect the current state of the plugin.
I myself don't use Eclipse anymore, and expect both GEP to improve maven support and m2eclipse to better work with GWT, so can't help much. The archetype generates the "best configuration" I've found to get things to work.
As I allready said, contributions are welcome, beeing code or documentation, to improve the plugin

--
Nicolas

tanteanni

Feb 15, 2011, 7:49:26 AM2/15/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
i installed m2e extras because this was the first answer i got here
(from david chandler). my thought was that the gwt support comes with
"maven integration for eclipse extras->project configurators for
commonly used maven plugins."
but viewing this thread now - i am unsure if installing m2e extras did
any benfit.

On 15 Feb., 13:39, nicolas de loof <nicolas.del...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know this URL but can't find any reference to GWT in the update site
> From what I can see, m2e only support OSGi, WTP, Subclipse and "commonly
> used plugins", nothing about GWT
> Did I miss something ?
>
> @David, didn't you plan for a m2eclipse project configurator as part of GEP
> ?
>
> [image: Capture d’écran 2011-02-15 à 13.36.51.png]
>
> 2011/2/15 tanteanni <tantea...@hotmail.com>
>
> > you can get m2e extras viahttp://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/sites/m2e-extras
> > (eclipse update site) - but i don't know what the m2e extras- gwt-
> > support is doing

> > > I can't find any gwt extension in m2eclipse update site, and am not aware
> > of
> > > any progress on this way. Can you provide a link please ?
>
> > --
>

>  Capture d’eÌ cran 2011-02-15 aÌ€ 13.36.51.png
> 153KAnzeigenHerunterladen

nicolas de loof

Feb 15, 2011, 7:52:01 AM2/15/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not aware on any work in progress on m2eclipse for GWT support. Sonatype allready dropped AJDT support from m2e and moved most integration extensions to "extra" to focus on core integration. With Sonatype efforts on Hudson I can't imagine progress on this on their side.

tanteanni

Feb 15, 2011, 8:50:48 AM2/15/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
what i wanted to say is: the screencaps are reflecting the current
state - the gwt.xml is put in .../resources. but this part: "Google
Eclipse plugin automatically handle launching the Hosted mode browser
with a simple right click on your module gwt.xml file "run as > web
application"." is not reflecting the current state - right?

at the moment gwt-maven-plugin generates the project(settings) with
disabled "use google web toolkit" (and this disables the run as
option), because of the filtering of resources correct?

was the location of gwt.xml subject to change in last releases? or how
the sample-projects mentioned by david chandler were generated (with
gwt.xml in src-Path)?

to cut a long story short: i have no problem to live without "run as
webapplication" and using "mvn gwt:run". i only want to be sure that i
didn't misconfigured something (the only gwt project i got done is the
tutorial).

nicolas de loof

Feb 15, 2011, 8:54:58 AM2/15/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
The archetype has been set based on a running configuration, where I was able to run modules from Eclipse with a right-click "run as...".
This may not work anymore with newer m2eclipse and GEP, this may also not work depending on various configurations (it only was tested on my desktop).

Hope we'll get someting more stable ASAP but this will only work if we get a better integration between GEP and M2E

tanteanni

Feb 15, 2011, 9:56:24 AM2/15/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
thx for this background information

> The archetype has been set based on a running configuration, where I was
> able to run modules from Eclipse with a right-click "run as...".

in this running configuration, where was the gwt.xml placed and how
was .../resources filter set?

> This may not work anymore with newer m2eclipse and GEP, this may also not
> work depending on various configurations (it only was tested on my desktop).

that means that your plugin allways generatet gwt.xml in .../
resources? And older m2eclipse versions probably didn't filter all .../
resources?

> Hope we'll get someting more stable ASAP but this will only work if we get a
> better integration between GEP and M2E

agreed as long as it's no option to place gwt.xml into .../java -path
(like david chendlers examples did)

nicolas de loof

Feb 15, 2011, 10:15:50 AM2/15/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com

2011/2/15 tanteanni <tant...@hotmail.com>

thx for this background information

> The archetype has been set based on a running configuration, where I was
> able to run modules from Eclipse with a right-click "run as...".

in this running configuration, where was the gwt.xml placed and how
was .../resources filter set?

Can't remember (6 month ago ...) but same layout as in archetype

> This may not work anymore with newer m2eclipse and GEP, this may also not
> work depending on various configurations (it only was tested on my desktop).

that means that your plugin allways generatet gwt.xml in .../
resources? And older m2eclipse versions probably didn't filter all .../
resources?

m2eclipse already did that way. I've no idea whats wrong with your setup, but I remember I hardly got M2E and GEP to work fine together.

> Hope we'll get someting more stable ASAP but this will only work if we get a
> better integration between GEP and M2E

agreed as long as it's no option to place gwt.xml into .../java -path
(like david chendlers examples did)

GEP wizard don't create a maven compliant setup, so this is not surprising it doesn't have separate source folders for java code and configuration resources. gwt-maven-plugin is not designed to support Eclipse and GEP, but to integrate gwt in maven build. I promoted my eclipse config files in the archetype in response to many user request on such configuration, but this doesn't seem to have fixed the issue.

A better option would be to switch to Intellij Idea :P

David Chandler

Feb 15, 2011, 10:19:11 AM2/15/11
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
FYI, you can try webAppCreator -maven instead of the archetype. We also plan to add maven layout as an option in the GPE wizard.

/dmc

tanteanni

Feb 16, 2011, 12:50:41 AM2/16/11
to Codehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
i'll try webAppCreator and i'll watch over future changes in m2e and
gep and probably gwt-plugin. at the moment its working for me except
for a little detail.

the only thing left for me to say is thank you for all your patiently
administered help and information