The Star Online for Android

1 view

Marvin Lee

Feb 2, 2010, 7:19:56 PM2/2/10
to CodeAndroid Malaysia
Please post any issue or defects in this thread.
Reviews and comments are most welcomed.

Bernie Eng

Feb 4, 2010, 11:31:41 AM2/4/10
to codeandroi...@googlegroups.com

One for now. It requires multiple presses of the back button to return to the previous screen.

Leong Hean Hong

Feb 4, 2010, 10:26:46 PM2/4/10
to CodeAndroid Malaysia
I guess I encounter the similar problem.

To reproduce:
1. Launch app.
2. Select "Nation" channel
3. Press the "thestar online" tab.
4. Select "Business" channel.
5. Press the "thestar online" tab.
6. Select "Sports" channel.
7. Press the "thestar online" tab.
8. Select "Technology" channel.

To exit the program, need to press Back button multiple time.

I think new Activity is created for each news channel. Is it possible
to repopulate the same Activity for different new channels? Or play
around with the CLEAR_TOP, SINGLE_TASK flag thingy.

On Feb 5, 12:31 am, Bernie Eng <eber...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One for now. It requires multiple presses of the back button to return to
> the previous screen.

Marvin Lee

Feb 5, 2010, 1:45:55 AM2/5/10
to codeandroi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bernie and Hong for highlighting the issues.
I also found out that the webview takes the screen to the top when Back button is clicked instead of back to the previous Activity.
Hong is right, it is a new Activity on every Channel selected unless the user click Back.
This behaviour is also found in BBC app, I'm not sure how to resolve this yet, but I'll look into it.
Gary Chin also highlighted that some weird characters are coming out in the article (inside webview), and i found that from the actual HTML page where quotes ( ' ) are not converted to HTML &quot is where the problem lies in (garbage in- garbage out).
Unless I parse all the content in the HTML and convert it to HTML, which will take some processing time and probably intro some other new issues, any of you know of a better way to fix it?

Thanks for all the comments so far! Well appreciated! :)

Bernie Eng

Feb 5, 2010, 8:45:07 AM2/5/10
to codeandroi...@googlegroups.com

Code to customize back button behaviour of webview is in KL traffic cam :-)