Core Foundation and Foundation

Matthieu C

Aug 10, 2009, 3:21:56 PM8/10/09
to Cocotron Developers
Hey,

I've just started fiddling with CocoTron and am reading the source
code. On Apple's page about compiling Core Foundation they state the
following:

"CF provides the fundamental C data types (for example, String,
Dictionary, Array, Data and Number) as well as the essential services
(such as plug-ins, URL handling and networking) that underlie both
Cocoa and Carbon. "

[ Reference: http://developer.apple.com/opensource/cflite.html ]

I'm reading the CocoTron code and assumed that NSString in the
Foundation framework would be using CFString and was very surprised
that it wasn't. I then did a recursive grep for "CF" in the
Foundation directory and couldn't find any references to Core
Foundation under the Cocoa Foundation classes for CocoTron.

I've only just started reading the code so please forgive me if the
answer is obvious.

Matthieu Cormier

Andy Balholm

Aug 12, 2009, 10:43:23 AM8/12/09
to cocotr...@googlegroups.com
It appears to me that Cocotron defines CFString in terms of NSString
instead of vice versa.

Andy Balholm
(509) 276-7300
an...@balholm.com

Matthieu C

Aug 13, 2009, 4:56:56 PM8/13/09
to Cocotron Developers
Is there a licensing issue with using Core Foundation from Apple?
It's open source.

http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/CF/CF-476.19/