Carbon Trading

Hugh Harries

Jan 10, 2007, 8:07:37 AM1/10/07
to coc...@googlegroups.com
From Eden-Green's recent report on Mozambique http://www.mcc.gov/about/reports/other/mcc-2006-clydreport.pdf

"Discussion with colleagues in the NR Group ( www.theNRGroup.net) and subsequently the UK International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED; www.iied.org) suggest that there could be commercial interest in investment in coconut replanting in the form of carbon trading initiatives to offset carbon emission from industrial sectors. This concept is still in its infancy, but some international carbon trading is already occurring, particularly in the forestry sector. Assistance with a coconut rehabilitation programme might be seen by multinational companies as a good way to combine corporate social responsibility with carbon offsetting. This needs to be explored by government and/or private sectors. Enquiry points are the Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Management (ECCM; http://www.eccm.uk.com/) and a guide recently published by Context plc, A UK consultancy specializing in corporate responsibility (see: http://www.econtext.co.uk/downloads/carbon_offset.pdf)."

roup...@vanuatu.com.vu

Jan 10, 2007, 6:48:49 PM1/10/07
to coc...@googlegroups.com, Hugh Harries
Dear Coconut group
Regarding this topic of C fxation by coconut plantations, I stress the fact that CIRAD  led scientifical assessments of CO2 balance at the scale of a coconut plantations in Vanuatu since 2001, using state-of-the-art techniques (micro-meterorology, eddy covariance, biomass and soil C surveys). Some results have already been published, some to be published (see listing attached).

Briefly, a coconut plantation can potentially fix a large amount of CO2, which is typical and consistent with other evergreen ecosystems from the humid tropics. This was the case, actually in Vanuatu (fertile soils, no seasonal water stress).
However, one might first consider the "ecosystem of reference": if the initial (reference) ecosystem was a forest, there is NO CHANCE to recover the initial amount of C which was lost during forest felling, even after 60 years of plantation of coconut trees. No Kyoto application possible (apart from cocofuel).
On the contrary, if the initial system was an abandonned or degraded land, the coconut grove would likely store C in the biomass and in the soil organic matter.

I think it would be worth maintaining a sub-coconutnewsgroup about this important topic.
Yours faithfully,

Dr. Olivier Roupsard.
-----------------------------------

--
Olivier Roupsard
Agro-Physiologiste / Crop Physiologist

Centre Agronomique de Recherche et de Formation du Vanuatu (VARTC)
BP 231
Espiritu Santo
VANUATU (Pacifique Sud)

Tel : (678)36 890
Fax : (678)36 355
Email : roup...@vanuatu.com.vu

List_papiers pour coconutgroup.doc

Severino Magat

Jan 11, 2007, 5:06:38 AM1/11/07
to coc...@googlegroups.com
Dear Olivier,

Greetings from the Philippines (esp. Philippine Coconut Authority HQ, Metro Manila) !

Could you further elaborate or clarify this (below) of your initial notes/reminder on the matter of coconut ecosystem carbon (CO2) sequestration.  Are your referring to net gains in both the crop and soil  as the crop develops or at full maturity ?  In the country, I'm projecting great interest in "carbon trading" in new farms with coconut + tree crop species (fruit crops, industrial tree crops, Gmelina arborea or yemane).

"However, one might first consider the "ecosystem of reference": if the initial (reference) ecosystem was a forest, there is NO CHANCE to recover the initial amount of C which was lost during forest felling, even after 60 years of plantation of coconut trees. No Kyoto application possible (apart from cocofuel).
On the contrary, if the initial system was an abandonned or degraded land, the coconut grove would likely store C in the biomass and in the soil organic matter. "

Its great to know how advance your studies on this matter that responded to the Kyoto agreements on mitigating our environment through biological means (biomass production and C sinks).

Thanks for your concern,

Sev  Magat

Hugh Harries a écrit :
>From Eden-Green's recent report on Mozambique http://www.mcc.gov/about/reports/other/mcc-2006-clydreport.pdf
"Discussion with colleagues in the NR Group ( www.theNRGroup.net) and subsequently the UK International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED; www.iied.org) suggest that there could be commercial interest in investment in coconut replanting in the form of carbon trading initiatives to offset carbon emission from industrial sectors. This concept is still in its infancy, but some international carbon trading is already occurring, particularly in the forestry sector. Assistance with a coconut rehabilitation programme might be seen by multinational companies as a good way to combine corporate social responsibility with carbon offsetting. This needs to be explored by government and/or private sectors. Enquiry points are the Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Management (ECCM; http://www.eccm.uk.com/) and a guide recently published by Context plc, A UK consultancy specializing in corporate responsibility (see: http://www.econtext.co.uk/downloads/carbon_offset.pdf)."

--
Olivier Roupsard
Agro-Physiologiste / Crop Physiologist
CIRAD-UPR 80- "Fonctionnement et Pilotage des Ecosystèmes de Plantations"
Centre Agronomique de Recherche et de Formation du Vanuatu (VARTC)
BP 231
Espiritu Santo
VANUATU (Pacifique Sud)
Tel : (678)36 890
Fax : (678)36 355
Email : roup...@vanuatu.com.vu

spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

velamoor rajagopal

Jan 11, 2007, 12:49:10 PM1/11/07
to coc...@googlegroups.com
Dear all in coconut group,

It is indeed a good piece of work on carbon

trading in coconut planattions, which Dr.Oliever

could demonstrate well. As Plant Physiologist myself,

I happened to visit the field/laboratory of Dr.Oliever

in Vanautu in 2004. It was good attempt with clear

objectives and methodology that generated valuable

data. My personal discussion with Oliever helped

me to initiate similar work in CPCRI, which is

progressing.

Now that many coconut countries are evincing interest

on carbon trading in plantation crops, it is perhaps

appropriate that an International Seminar be

held to debate on various issues of relevance on

the environmental development. I suggest that either

Biodeiversity International or APCC or any of the

National coconut development boards/authorities

take the lead to organize such a meet of concerned

scientists. This proposal may be considered by the

google coconut group and send comments. I can help

in whatever way possible to see that the International

semina\r is held in 2007.

V.Rajagopal, Former Director, CPCRI
India

> protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com

George, Maria Luz (Bioversity-Malaysia)

Jan 11, 2007, 8:08:01 PM1/11/07
to coc...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps, a session on this topic might be included in the upcoming International Coconut Summit-2007 to be held in Kochi, India on 7-11May 2007 or in the next COCOTECH meeting?

Luz
COGENT

roup...@vanuatu.com.vu

Jan 11, 2007, 8:43:45 PM1/11/07
to coc...@googlegroups.com, cm.palmie...@cirad.fr, Andre Rouziere
Dear Mr. Magat,

Greetings from Vanuatu, and please transfer also my best wishes to our
colleagues, Mrs Eroy, Mr Coronacion, Mr Margate and Mr. Carpio when you
meet them.

> [...]
> notes/reminder on the matter of coconut ecosystem carbon (CO2)
> sequestration. Are your referring to net gains in both the crop and
> soil as the crop develops or at full maturity ? In the country, I'm
> projecting great interest in "carbon trading" in new farms with
> coconut + tree crop species (fruit crops, industrial tree crops,
> Gmelina arborea or yemane).
>

> Yes, it deserves clarification.
> As long as they grow, ecosystems fix C every year. However, the LULUCF
> (land use change) from the MDP of the Kyoto Protocol requires that you
> define what was your "reference scenario" for comparison. Depending of
> this reference, you might find no storage at all...
>
> -First I was talking about C balance of the full ecosystem (including
> coconut palm + understorey, which was grass in our case+soil)
> -Regarding the age now, we had two types of results here:
> . first, we measured the C balance of a 20 year-old plantation (full
> maturity) during 3 years and we found about 3.3 tC ha-1 year-1 of
> storage by this ecosystem (paper 1 APCC listed yesterday, tab.3).
> Please don't take this figure for granted, it was probably
> under-esetimated in this rapid APCC paper. In a peer-reviewed
> publication, (paper 2) with new updated analyses, we found even more
> storage of C.
> . second, we compared the soil organic matter (SOM) in the toplayers
> of ground of the original forest (that had been clearcut for coconut
> planting years ago, of which some remains were still available for
> sampling) and a of times series (called chronosequence) of coconut
> plantations, up more than 35 year-old (paper 1 APCC, fig.5). We found
> that after an quick loss of around 25% C and N and SOM just after
> felling the forest, the loss was not yet recovered at the end of the
> first rotation of coconut plantation. Moreover, the stock would
> likely decrease during the next coconut felling, before the second
> rotation. Remember lso that the biomass and necromass are generally
> much larger in the forest than in the coconut plantation. It means
> that, shifting from a forest to a plantation results in a net loss of
> C from biosphere to atmosphere. In other words, the coconut plantation
> does fix C during its growth, but never enough to recover from the
> initial loss durng forest felling. On the contrary, starting from a
> degraded environment would have probably led to C storage. This is
> what we are all looking for !
>
> As a conclusion, when you start a LULUCF MDP project, your reference
> scenario should rather be a SOM and biomass-poor land (abandonned,
> degraded) before the plantation, in order to maximise your chances of
> storage. Associating the coconuts with an understorey of legume trees
> is probably a good way to restore the fertility, the productivity and
> the C storage of the system.But you may also prefer fruit trees,
> depending on other economical constraints.

Severino Magat

Jan 12, 2007, 5:56:07 AM1/12/07
to coc...@googlegroups.com, Manette Eroy, Carlos Carpio
Dear Olivier,

Your quick response on my request is highly appreciated !  And I find your clarifications and points/reminders on this forward-looking subject hamonizing agriculture and environment very enlightening. To a large extent, your works in the south pacific (esp. Vanautu ) are indeed new information and knowledge for the development of coconut-based ecosystems with huge economic multi-benefits to many.

Hoping, a session on Biological/environmental Carbon Sequestration and Trading in the coconut summit 2007 (Kochi, India) could be realized  as suggested by IPGRI-COGENT Coordinator (Dr Luz George) in the interest of the global coconut communities and "mother earth".

Again, thanks and congratulations on your interesting and powerful research findings.

More Power and all the best,

Sev Magat