Video of Jeff's talk on OzTV.

Oliver Jones

Feb 23, 2011, 3:02:59 AM2/23/11
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks.

I noticed that Sean had uploaded his raw video footage of Jeff Tan-Ang's talk about OzTV's sales performance to the Melbourne Cocoaheads Vimeo group (http://www.vimeo.com/groups/melbournecocoaheads). Unfortunately Sean's video camera couldn't pick up much audio on the night. This gave me the kick in the pants required to finish my work on the video I was creating of Jeff's talk.

It was a little bit of a mission because even though I was up front with my honking great big Yeti mic the acoustics at Lookout Mobile were rubbish and the audio quality was very bad. With some help from iZotope RX and some time I cleaned up the audio and produced the following vid:

http://www.vimeo.com/20276818

Enjoy.

BTW, iZotope RX is eff'ing amazing (http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/).

Regards

Bill Tinker

Mar 3, 2011, 7:41:05 AM3/3/11
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com
A mate and I are working jointly on an iPhone project. We are both at
separate locations, and would like to have some kind of (internet based?)
source control system to share our changes. Any suggestions?

We have access to a Windows server at an ISP, but not sure if that will be
useful or not.

Bill

Tony Arnold

Mar 3, 2011, 8:01:53 AM3/3/11
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill,

I'm sure there'll be some differing opinions, but my recommendation would be for Github — http://github.com/ — they're cheap, reliable and Git is a great way to manage your source.

all the best,

Tony

----------
Tony Arnold
http://thecocoabots.com/

Anthony Mittaz

Mar 3, 2011, 8:05:40 AM3/3/11
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com
Git + github is definitely a good choice

Oliver Jones

Mar 3, 2011, 9:25:04 AM3/3/11
to Bill Tinker, cocoah...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill.

Git & Github is a good choice. There are other SVN hosting sites like Beanstalkapp.com, Bitbucket.org, and Unfuddle.com. It all depends on what source control system you want to use.

Git is all the rage and if you don't mind the steepish learning curve is probably the best choice. There is now a decent UI for Mac OS X in the shape of Tower (http://www.git-tower.com/). To install the Git command line utils use the Git OS X installer (http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/).

On the Subversion side of things there is Versions (http://versionsapp.com/) and Cornerstone (http://www.zennaware.com) as MacOS GUI clients and on Windows there is TortoiseSVN (http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html). Versions and Cornerstone are commercial apps. The command line subversion client ships with Mac OS X and XCode. Subversion support is baked into XCode 3.x and Git is supported by XCode 4 also. My experience with Subversion support in the XCode 4 GM suggests that it is a little broken though.

Subversion is simpler than git and probably all you need. If you want to host your repository on your existing Windows server I'd suggest VisualSVN as a server (http://www.visualsvn.com/) which is free for the basic edition. I would suggest you use an existing hosting provider though as that is simpler and probably less hassle.

Regards

kman

Mar 3, 2011, 5:35:45 PM3/3/11
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com, Bill Tinker
Github is good if you want your project to be open source.  If you want it to be private you have to pay.
One option I've found works well is Git + Dropbox.

Google Git + Dropbox on the web and you'll find plenty of tutorials.
The basics is:
Install Dropbox on PC.
Have a folder on Dropbox shared by all parties who need access
Create a Git repository on dropbox.
Check your code in/out of Dropbox Git Repository accessible by everyone you granted access to.

~/project $ git init
~/project $ git add .
~/project $ git commit -m "first commit"
~/project $ cd ~/Dropbox/git

~/Dropbox/git $ mkdir project.git
~/Dropbox/git $ cd project.git
~/Dropbox/git $ git init --bare
~/Dropbox/git $ cd ~/project

~/project $ git remote add origin ~/Dropbox/git/project.git
~/project $ git push origin master

davesag

Mar 3, 2011, 5:41:12 PM3/3/11
to Australian Cocoaheads
We use Subversion at work but are slowly moving over to Git. I use
Git for all my personal projects, with hosting on GitHub. I've found
Git to be much simpler to use that SVN and so much more powerful, it
really encourages you to make branches, work safely and merge
cleanly. SVN never made that stuff easy enough.

So for your needs I'd use Git.

Chris Miles

Mar 3, 2011, 5:50:01 PM3/3/11
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com, Chris Miles
Hi Bill,

As the majority have already said, git is king. I use Dropbox as a git server which is simple, free and very easy to share between your team. I have shared my git/dropbox process at http://chrismiles-tech.blogspot.com/2011/03/git-sharing-with-dropbox.html

github is also awesome, I use it for public projects, but mainly use the Dropbox technique for private stuff.

Cheers,
Chris

Bill Tinker

Mar 3, 2011, 6:09:55 PM3/3/11
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

I've signed up for a paid private account at GitHub to try out.

Thanks
Bill

> kman <busi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Github is good but if you want it to be private you have to pay.

Peter Goldsmith

Mar 3, 2011, 6:15:21 PM3/3/11
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com
Just to chime in,
Another hosted paid solution is codebase http://www.codebasehq.com/
Very cheap for small teams, offer git/svn/mec repos, and have full ticket managing and time tracking support.
They also send you out a little booklet and stickers when you sign up...gimicky yes, but still a really nice touch.

Matthew Willis

Mar 3, 2011, 6:47:45 PM3/3/11
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com
Oooooh! Stickers ;-)

Sean Woodhouse

Mar 3, 2011, 7:56:38 PM3/3/11
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com, Bill Tinker
The other Git client app to look at is GitX, particularly this fork from brotherbard.

https://github.com/brotherbard/gitx
https://github.com/brotherbard/gitx/downloads
http://brotherbard.com/blog/tag/gitx/

I'm running 0.7.1 and it is pretty stable for what I use it for. I still tend to use the command line for push/pull/fetch/merge. It's great for reviewing, staging and committing your work though.

Cheers

Sean

IttyBittyStampEmail.jpg

Josh Price

Mar 3, 2011, 8:00:12 PM3/3/11
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com
+1 for the brotherbard fork of GitX. It's very useful for peeling apart complex commits and visualizing history/tags/branches.

Cheers,
Josh

> <IttyBittyStampEmail.jpg>

Nick Forge

Mar 3, 2011, 11:39:12 PM3/3/11
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com
I'll second what Sean said - I use the brotherbard fork of GitX for viewing, staging and committing, but the command line for push/pull/fetch/branch/anything scary.

I use my own Mac Mini server for private git repos, Beanstalk for shared/collaborative projects, and github for open-source stuff.

Cheers,
Nick

> On 04/03/2011, at 1:25 AM, Oliver Jones wrote:
>

> <IttyBittyStampEmail.jpg>--

Oliver Jones

Mar 3, 2011, 11:57:07 PM3/3/11
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com
I keep forgetting about GitX. I should check out this fork.

Sadat Rahman

Mar 4, 2011, 12:54:17 AM3/4/11
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com

On 04/03/2011, at 3:39 PM, Nick Forge wrote:

> I'll second what Sean said - I use the brotherbard fork of GitX for viewing, staging and committing, but the command line for push/pull/fetch/branch/anything scary.

+1 Brotherbard fork of GitX

I have moved from original GitX -> Gitbox -> Tower -> BrotherbardGitX, have found bortherbard client to be the most stable and usable.
If anyone knows of other awesome GitX clients for mac (paid or otherwise), please let us know.

Matt Connolly

Mar 4, 2011, 4:07:33 AM3/4/11
to cocoah...@googlegroups.com
+1 again for Brotherbard's fork of GitX