Peach-faced Lovebird

cou...@gojade.org

Jun 20, 2013, 3:50:58 PM6/20/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hi All:

Just when I was getting settled into the post-migration letdown, I spotted a bird in our backyard that had me running for the camera. The bird was a Peach-faced Lovebird and Lisa, me and the gals got great looks and photos. This bird, as I have since found out, is native to Africa. So I’m sure this is an escape, but it sure brought some excitement today. We emailed a friend who has pet birds locally, but they reported no escapes. But someone must have lost this bird.

It is hanging out near our chicken pen, where I put scratch grains. Its still out there making its harsh chip calls from its perch in then shaded trees. Will monitor it and see how long it stays around....Isn’t that wild!

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO

Deborah Carstensen

Jun 20, 2013, 5:47:33 PM6/20/13
to cou...@gojade.org, <cobirds@googlegroups.com>
There is a group called the Gabriel foundation who helps rescue escaped domestic birds. Their number is 303-629-5900. I'm not sure if they'll help you catch it, but I think they give you ideas about how to capture the bird so it can be brought in.  They will then take care of the bird.

Good luck

Deb Carstensen, Littleton, Arapahoe County

Sent from my iPhone

Karl Stecher Jr.

Jun 20, 2013, 8:54:38 PM6/20/13
to fiddl...@aol.com, <cobirds@googlegroups.com>, cou...@gojade.org
Yes, but...

Peach-faced lovebirds have been established in Phoenix, Arizona, for over
thirty years. They have been added to the state list and the ABA list.
Now, 500 miles is a long way, esp. for a very non-migratory species, And
the birds are not showing up near to Phoenix in an expansion pattern.

Further thoughts from Cobirders?

Karl Stecher
Centennial
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/139195F8-CAED-437E-8618-4884EA6BCA29%40aol.com.

Lauren L Burke

Jun 20, 2013, 10:11:48 PM6/20/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Lovebirds aren't equipped to survive our winters. It is surely an escaped pet. It may not be tame enough to catch, but it won't survive loose for long. I get the occasional budgerigar in my yard at my feeders. It always saddens me. They're great little birds and being loose is a death sentence. I hope someone can rescue it.

Lauren Burke
It's a bird thing, it just is!
Sent from my iPhone
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/20130621005438.13BEE780547%40mailhost.idcomm.com.

Ira Sanders

Jun 21, 2013, 1:47:27 AM6/21/13
to kste...@idcomm.com, fiddl...@aol.com, cob...@googlegroups.com, cou...@gojade.org
One was found in Albuquerque a few years ago.
Ira Sanders
Golden, CO
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/20130621005438.13BEE780547%40mailh
ost.idcomm.com.

Dave Cameron

Jun 23, 2013, 6:32:16 PM6/23/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Someone told me once that an easy to catch is, since they're used to cages and comfortable there, is to put a bird cage with the door open out in your yard.  If you're lucky, it might climb in.

Dave Cameron

Denver