Elbert County May 9

David Suddjian

May 11, 2016, 10:03:23 PM5/11/16
to Colorado Birds
Sorry this delayed report on a full day trip to Elbert County on May 9. I focused on areas of the east central and northeastern parts of the county. It was neat to see how the kingbird and Lark Bunting flood gates had opened up since my prior visit one week earlier. There was still a lot of room for numbers to build, but where they had recently been absent, now Western and Cassin's Kingbirds were common (Eastern so far rather uncommon), and Lark Buntings ubiquitous and numerous. More sought after migrants were on the thin side, but since I made about 90 stops I managed to eek out some fun birds.

Some highlights included:
Several Mountain Plovers on CR 149 S of Matheson, along CR 66, 169, 46 and 34
Wood Duck at Big Sandy Creek at CR 149
Red-headed Woodpeckers at a number of locations
Black-and-white Warbler at Matheson and at East Bijou Creek near Agate
McCown's Longspurs at CR 149,169, 66, 46, 34, 201
Peregrine Falcon at CR 66
Cattle Egret at CR 66
Nashville Warbler at CR 197 x CR 46
Northern Waterthrush at Big Sandy Creek near CR 118
Orchard Oriole ditto
Palm Warbler ditto
Black Tern at Highway 86 roadside pond E of Kiowa
Cassin's Vireo at CR 141

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO