Red Headed Woodpecker

Duck Cop

Apr 21, 2023, 11:55:13 AM4/21/23
to Colorado Birds
Has anyone in group seen a Red Headed Woodpecker here in Colorado.  I am doing some research regarding the RHW steep population declines.  Thank You,  Daniel

ynoz4...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2023, 3:02:16 PM4/21/23
to Duck Cop, Colorado Birds

Daniel,

We had a Red-headed Woodpecker at our cabin in Allenspark last year on September 24, 2022.

Robin Jasper

Loveland and Allenspark

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/a4e64203-ad12-4708-b5d2-88195fcd609fn%40googlegroups.com.

Bill Kosar

Apr 21, 2023, 3:09:36 PM4/21/23
to Colorado Birds
Daniel,

I have a picture of a juvenile red-headed woodpecker that I saw at Fountain Creek Nature Center in about 2010. I have also seen them in the banding area at Chico ranch where many other folks have seen them.

Bill

Diana Beatty

Apr 21, 2023, 3:24:38 PM4/21/23
to Bill Kosar, Colorado Birds
I have also seen them at Chico Basin like Bill, and Tamarack SWA..  Two or three years ago, one over-wintered on Fort Carson and was counted in the Fountain Creek CBC that year.

Diana Beatty
El Paso County

--

******

“I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo. “So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

David Suddjian

Apr 21, 2023, 3:41:29 PM4/21/23
to Duck Cop, Colorado Birds
Hi Daniel,

Why not look at and download the 1000s of sightings of RHWO from Colorado on eBird?

RHWO map (2).png

RHWO abundance 2018- 2022 (2).png
David Suddjian
Littleton, CO

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 9:55 AM Duck Cop <duckco...@gmail.com> wrote:
Has anyone in group seen a Red Headed Woodpecker here in Colorado.  I am doing some research regarding the RHW steep population declines.  Thank You,  Daniel

linda hodges

Apr 21, 2023, 3:50:39 PM4/21/23
to ynoz4...@gmail.com, Duck Cop, Colorado Birds
The prevalence of the species is shown on eBird.

Linda Hodges
Colorado Springs

Charles Hundertmark

Apr 21, 2023, 4:26:47 PM4/21/23
to Duck Cop, Cobirds
You can also find information on the overall status of the species at Partners-in-Flight. https://pif.birdconservancy.org/avian-conservation-assessment-database-scores/

Chuck Hundertmark

On Apr 21, 2023, at 9:35 AM, Duck Cop <duckco...@gmail.com> wrote:

Has anyone in group seen a Red Headed Woodpecker here in Colorado.  I am doing some research regarding the RHW steep population declines.  Thank You,  Daniel

Patrick O'Driscoll

Apr 21, 2023, 4:38:52 PM4/21/23
to Charles Hundertmark, Duck Cop, Cobirds
Anecdotally, that year 2020 spike on David's eBird graph included a number of Front Range sightings in late spring-into-summer, including in central Denver's Heron Pond Natural Area, in a since-closed-access part of Box Elder Creek on the eastern outskirts of Denver International Airport, and in JeffCo's Coal Creek Open Space, among others.

Patrick O'Driscoll
Denver

Deb Evers

Apr 22, 2023, 11:36:32 AM4/22/23
to Colorado Birds

When my husband and I first moved to Colorado, we lived in the Southeastern part of Loveland (Larimer County). Our condo was near a wooded area. We had a Male Red-headed Woodpecker that came to our yard and feeders often during the summer of 2010.  (Blurry photo attached. National Geographic hasn't asked for it, but it will do for ID purposes.)

Deb Evers
Loveland, CO

redheaded woodpecker 002.jpeg

Duck Cop

Apr 22, 2023, 2:52:56 PM4/22/23
to Colorado Birds
Robin,  Ok, that sounds good to me. AS it warms up, hopefully in May thru Sept. I plan to visit
all the places that this group's members have been so kind to advise me where I can see our
most beautiful Woodpecker.  Thank you so much,  Daniel
"You'll never defeat, or cheat Mother Nature without some adverse repercussions".

Duck Cop

Apr 22, 2023, 2:52:56 PM4/22/23
to Colorado Birds
Diana,  Thank You so much for that information regarding Red Headed Woodpecker sightings
here in Colorado. Chico Basin I have heard of. Tamarack SWA I am not familiar with. I will find
them though as soon as Winter leaves. Hopefully this summer I can see/hear a RHW.
Thanks again,  I moved to Colorado (Larimer County) near Ft Collins in 2016 from the East
Tennessee, where I had a pair attempted several times to nest, but always failed due to
European Starlings.  Daniel

Duck Cop

Apr 22, 2023, 2:52:56 PM4/22/23
to Colorado Birds
Bill,  Ok then Fountain Creek Nature Center and possibly Chico Ranch area. 2010?
The fact that  you saw 'Juveniles" is most encouraging. I will check these areas
out this summer. Red Headed Woodpeckers live about 10 years at the most.

Daniel Hurt
Larrimer County, Colorado

Duck Cop

Apr 22, 2023, 2:52:56 PM4/22/23
to Colorado Birds
David,
  Ok, thanks. I have been on Ebird numerous times. However, I am fairly new to Colorado
moving here in 2016. I had to go to Books a Million and purchase 4 new bird books. Still
trying to find my way around these parts, but am  improving. Exploring is such fun.

Daniel Hurt
Larimer County, Co.