Last night makes me wonder whether it is a good idea to make yards wildlife friend

Betsy R

Oct 13, 2022, 11:01:41 AM10/13/22
to Colorado Birds

About 8:30 pm, shortly after completing David Hill’s wonderful webinar, police helicopters were using spotlights to strafe Congress Park in Denver, which sits behind my house.  I heard a large crash into a transom, and an owl tumbled down to my patio.  I have very few lights on, to limit confusion to migrating birds, but Congress Park must have been a hellhole for them due to the police activity. Luckily, the owl recovered and flew off, but I noticed a dark stain where it had fallen.  I screwed up my courage to go outside despite continued helicopter presence, and found that the dark stain to be a dead hermit thrush and,  5 feet away,  half a young rabbit.  Can't positively reconstruct what happened, but the owl and the thrush--and perhaps the rabbit, too,  had obviously been disoriented by the helicopters.

I am disheartened to realize our city is no longer safe for wildlife, as it grows increasingly unsafe for people.

Betsy Rumely
Congress Park
Denver, CO