Sylvan Dale Guest Ranch, Loveland, Larimer County

Connie Kogler

Apr 23, 2011, 9:08:05 PM4/23/11
to COBirds COBirds
Today I took a group of thirteen folks out to Sylvan Dale Guest Ranch (private). For a birding tour. We had a great day with 30 species found. What a difference between yesterday and today. I had an overflow group out there Friday also and we saw way fewer birds. (Can you say "WINDY"?)

We spent about 3 hours browsing the ranch and enjoying the birds and weather. Highlights for folks were the Broad-winged Hawk (mis-identified by me in the field, darn it) that dropped what was left of his Magpie so we could all ooh and ahh and ick, over it. (It was a male magpie by the way..eww.) The plethora of Western Bluebirds almost in our laps, the jewel of a Mountain Bluebird, two fly-bys of Broad-tailed Hummers, and the Bushtit and Ruby-crowned Kinglet flock we had to practically extract from our pockets. We saw lots of Yellow-rumped Warblers too - all Myrtles.  All in all a very fun day.

Thanks to Becca for the not-so-mental bird list!

Song Sparrow
European Starling
American Robin
Common Grackle