Japanese Government Launches Global Inter-Cloud Technology Forum

Reuven Cohen

Jul 25, 2009, 5:23:53 PM7/25/09
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Over the last week I've been away at my cottage on vacation so I'm trying to catch up on my massive backlog of emails (about 5k worth). One of the more interesting was one sent earlier in the week from Masayuki Hyugaji in Japan. (I have a call with Hyugaji later this week, so I should be able to provide more details afterward)

According to Hyugaji, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications of Japan has embarked in a series of new research and development activities including launching a Global Inter-Cloud Technology Forum. For those who don't speak Japanese (my wife does) the primary focus of the Global Inter-Cloud Technology Forum is on Cloud Federation and currently includes several large Japanese companies. The aim of the forum is to promote standardization of network protocols and the interfaces through which cloud systems "interwork" with each other, and to enable the provision of more reliable cloud services.

Main activities and goals
  • Promote the development and standardization of technologies to build or use cloud systems;
  • Propose standard interfaces that allow cloud systems to interwork with each other;
  • Collect and disseminate proposals and requests regarding organization of technical exchange meetings and training courses;
  • Establish liaison with counterparts in the U.S. and Europe, and promote exchange with relevant R&D teams.
Global Inter-Cloud Technology Forum Aims

The Global Inter-Cloud Technology Forum website sheds some light on the initiative.

"Cloud systems have not yet reached the level that would allow their application to mission-critical fields, such as e-government, medical care and finance, in terms of reliability, ability to respond quickly, data quality and security. To achieve reliability and quality high enough to meet the requirements in these fields, it is necessary to interconnect multiple cloud systems via a broadband network and provide a mechanism that would allow them to interwork with, and complement, each other.

"In light of the fact that each provider is currently building cloud systems based on its proprietary specifications, we propose the establishment of the “Global Inter-Cloud Technology Forum” to promote standardization of network protocols and the interfaces through which cloud systems interwork with each other, to promote international interworking of cloud systems, to enable global provision of highly reliable, secure and high-quality cloud services, and to contribute to the development Japan’s ICT industry and to the strengthening of its international competitiveness."

Learn more at http://www.gictf.jp

--
Reuven
CCIF Instigator

Yutaka Sasaki

Jul 26, 2009, 12:16:29 AM7/26/09
to cloud...@googlegroups.com

Hi, All,

In addition to the article below, Japanese government announced that they will invest more than $200M to develop government’s own private cloud.

Yuta

Reuven Cohen

Jul 26, 2009, 9:09:24 AM7/26/09
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yuta, do you have anymore details on this?

Reuven

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 12:16 AM, Yutaka Sasaki <yuta....@nifty.com> wrote:

Hi, All,

In addition to the article below, Japanese government announced that they will invest more than $200M to develop government’s own private cloud.

Yuta

Jul 26, 2009, 9:13:13 AM7/26/09
to cloud...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Reuven,

Here is a term “Kasumigaseki Cloud”. Kasumigaseki is a place where all Japanese ministries locate, just as Washington D.C. Japanese Government announced to host all ministries’ servers in Kasumigaseki cloud, which will be the largest private cloud in Japan. But the plan has just began, so detail will be developed from now on.

Also, local government are to host their servers in hybrid cloud scattered across Japan.

I will write more detail later.

Regards,

Reuven Cohen

Jul 26, 2009, 9:42:33 AM7/26/09
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Yuta,

For anyone interested, I was also just sent a pdf outling the plans
for the Kasumigaseki Cloud. (See attached)

Establishment of Innovative e‐Government in Japan

~The government is to take the initiative to introduce advanced
technologies and realize efficiencies

 Build the “Kasumigaseki Cloud” (tentative name) in phases to be
completed by 2015 in order to improve public service (e.g.,
dramatically cutting costs for constructing and administrating
information systems) by utilizing innovative technology (i.e., cloud
computing), and reduce burdens shouldered by the private sector by
standardizing corporate code.

Digitize intellectual and cultural assets accumulated in the analog
era, which are in the possession of the National Diet Library and the
National Archives of Japan, and create a “National Digital Archive”
(tentative name) that can be accessible from anywhere in the world,
and allow the private sector to join this archive project with an aim
to develop new service.

Key aspects

- No need to maintain each and every system
- Possible to use only the necessary amount of computer resources
- Centralize the data centers separately managed by the ministries and agencies

r/c

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Yutaka Sasaki <yuta....@nifty.com> wrote:

> Hi, Reuven,
>

> Here is a term “Kasumigaseki Cloud”. Kasumigaseki is a place where all Japanese ministries locate, just as Washington D.C. Japanese Government announced to host all ministries’ servers in Kasumigaseki cloud, which will be the largest private cloud in Japan. But the plan has just began, so detail will be developed from now on.
>

> Also, local government are to host their servers in hybrid cloud scattered across Japan.
>

> I will write more detail later.
>

> Regards,
>

> Yuta

65japan.pdf

Greg Pfister

Jul 27, 2009, 7:21:49 PM7/27/09
to Cloud Computing Interoperability Forum (CCIF)
This sounds a little tiny bit like the proposal to use NASA's Nebula
cloud to support many outside of NASA, which I posted about over on
Cloud-computing: http://tinyurl.com/ljgax3

Greg Pfister
http://perilsofparallel.blogspot.com/