Cloud Forum Group Moderation

Reuven Cohen

Nov 26, 2008, 3:39:30 PM11/26/08
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
This post bring up the issue of moderation. I was hoping keep spam off this list by making it members only. Which seems to be in a vain attempt. Moderating group messages can become a full time job, and other cloud groups have become rather fascist in there use of a 1 strike and your out policy.

So should moderate all messages and if so who wants to help? Or is there another way to limit this sort of off topic spam?

As for atcsearch, come on. I opened up the group literally 1 hour ago. You get the honor of being our first spammer.

reuven

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 3:32 PM, atcs...@gmail.com <atcs...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am in search of a Storage Solutions Engineer with Media or HPC and
file systems background, any recommendations?

Jorge Oliveira

Nov 26, 2008, 3:43:54 PM11/26/08
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
I think it's more effective for group members to ignore spam messages than you having to moderate all group messages :)

Alexis Richardson

Nov 26, 2008, 3:46:17 PM11/26/08
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
+1

Anshu Sharma

Nov 26, 2008, 3:47:51 PM11/26/08
to cloud...@googlegroups.com

My uncle in Nigeria recently died and left a spam prevention automated tool that is TOTALLY FREE. All I will need is the ssn & account number so we can verify your identity and transfer the IP over.

+1

anshu
Visit My Blog at http://www.anshublog.com

Matthew Zito

Nov 26, 2008, 3:48:04 PM11/26/08
to cloud...@googlegroups.com

I’m happy to help moderate all messages, but I’m also alright with a one-strike-and-you’re-out policy (assuming reasonableness and the ability to change our minds if it was a legit mistake).  The issue with moderating all is that conversations become a lot slower depending on how often people look at it.

Does google give you the option of approving someone conditionally, where you can submit, but messages are moderated – then once we see after, say, a few days that they’re not time-wasters, make them full-fledged members?

Thanks,

Matt

Matthew Zito

Nov 26, 2008, 3:48:28 PM11/26/08
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
That makes sense too, and if anyone is particularly offense, we can
still kickban them.

Matt

Nov 26, 2008, 3:53:17 PM11/26/08
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Paul Strong <paul....@gmail.com> wrote:

Now this I like! - ROFL

Paul

When I'm done paying Khaz's severance, I'll publish the untold story of the Google cloud group. I know one thing, I won't be giving out group ownership rights this time :)

ruv

Anshu Sharma

Nov 26, 2008, 3:56:07 PM11/26/08
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Who is Khaz? I think I like that guy. LOL

How can I join his group? ;)

anshu

Mark Davies

Nov 26, 2008, 3:59:37 PM11/26/08
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
+1 on message speed.  SPAM is easy enough to ignore
--
Mark
mark [at] thedavies [dot] ca

jerrypearson

Nov 26, 2008, 4:01:43 PM11/26/08
to Cloud Computing Interoperability Forum
This is not total spam, other groups see resource request
recommendations from members?

I suggest that such posts go to a more appropriate forum such as the
on-demand job bank at http://www.on-demandenterprise.com/ and
others...

What used to work extremely well on Usenet new groups was a periodic
(monthly) posting of a "FAQ" which listed rules and answers such as
this to limit off-topic discussion.

A closed group could be the answer, but even then you will have
members posting job requirements?

-Jerry