Comparing Cloud Mindshare between the U.S., Europe and Asia

Peter Laird

Sep 15, 2008, 4:25:48 AM9/15/08
to Cloud Computing
Chris Marino started a good thread this week on cloud adoption in the
U.S. (based on numbers from the Pew report).

Along the same vein, I just published some data that I captured
related to Cloud mindshare across the US, Europe and Asia. If you are
a numbers person, this might be of interest. Here is the distribution
I found on my cloud blog entries, tracking where visitors come from:

U.S. 67%
Europe 17%
Asia 13%

So a lot of interest in the U.S. (no surprise), with Europe and Asia
about the same.

It is based on traffic to my cloud blog entries, so not scientific.
But hopefully is a good rough measurement, and perhaps will draw out
other people to post their numbers as well.

http://peterlaird.blogspot.com/2008/09/comparing-cloud-computing-mindshare.html

Khazret Sapenov

Sep 16, 2008, 10:55:14 PM9/16/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
You should also take into account internet penetration rate in regions, this will give you some synthetic compound of interest. But this is still not scientific, just small optimization :)

Eric Westerkamp

Sep 17, 2008, 12:13:51 AM9/17/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

As someone who is always looking for good market Data I'll add our Cloud Computing blogs distribution to the list.

Americas 66.40%
Asia 17.37%
Europe 13.96%
Oceania 1.79%
Africa 0.32%
Unknown 0.16%

It looks like the same relative contributions with Asia and Europe flipped.  When I dig into the numbers deeper I see that the Asia number is driven by India and Pakistan.  Europe is primarily the UK and Germany.

Looking at where the press is coming from and the majority of startups the America's number is no surprise.  It is interesting though to see Pakistan as the primary driver of the Asian number.

http://ecloudm.blogspot.com

Eric

donnam...@bellsouth.net

Sep 17, 2008, 8:55:41 AM9/17/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

Meanwhile, despite widespread interest in cloud computing—in which remote computing resources are accessed and deployed self-service-style via a Web browser—the phenomenon is having little budget impact.

Like Vista, cloud computing did not show up in the top 10 technology categories in the SIM survey.

--

Donna McClung
Professional Sales

"There is no security on this
earth, there is only opportunity."
- General Douglas MacArthur

-------------- Original message from "Khazret Sapenov" <sap...@gmail.com>: --------------
Posting guidelines:
http://groups.google.ca/group/cloud-computing/web/frequently-asked-qu...
To collaborate in group's Wiki (http://sites.google.com/site/cloudcomputingwiki/) send request to cloudmo...@gmail.com
This group posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/

Botchagalupe

Sep 17, 2008, 9:53:24 AM9/17/08
to Cloud Computing
Peter,

Great idea. I ooked at my numbers since the begging of this year.
One caveat is that I also do a lot of blogging on IT infrastructure
and some of my numbers could be a little skewed from a cloud
perspective. However most of my traffic is related to cloud posts.

Americas 60.22%
Europe 30.69%
Asia 6.2%
Oceania 1.79%
Africa 0.52%
Unknown 0.12%

John
johnmwillis.com
> http://peterlaird.blogspot.com/2008/09/comparing-cloud-computing-mind...

Eric Westerkamp

Sep 17, 2008, 10:34:07 AM9/17/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
John,

Your number for Europe is much higher than the others.  Any insight into what is driving that?  Is it concentrated in the UK/Germany or is it spread out more evenly?

Thanks,

Eric

Peter Laird

Sep 17, 2008, 10:55:07 AM9/17/08
to Cloud Computing
> It looks like the same relative contributions with Asia and Europe flipped.
> When I dig into the numbers deeper I see that the Asia number is driven by
> India and Pakistan. Europe is primarily the UK and Germany.
> http://ecloudm.blogspot.com
>
> Eric

Interesting, Pakistan isn't even in the top 50 for me. Also, Australia
edges out India in APAC.

Here is my top 10 country list in order:

1. US
2. UK
3. Canada
4. Japan
5. Australia
6. India
7. Germany
8. France
9. China
10. Ireland

Botchagalupe

Sep 17, 2008, 11:43:28 AM9/17/08
to Cloud Computing
Eric,

My guess is that my bump in EU comes from my IT management blogs on
open source. There seems to be a keen interest in IT management open
source products in EU. However, my UK numbers are probably related
more to clouds stuff. Here is a breakdown.

15% EU (mostly Spain and Germany)
7% UK

I did a more detailed post on my site if you are interested...
http://www.johnmwillis.com/other/cloud-traffic-discussion/

John