Gartner Says Clouds Don't Mature until 2015

Greg Pfister

Feb 2, 2009, 11:26:18 PM2/2/09
to Cloud Computing
See http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=871113 .

Very coarse summary of their phases:

2007-11 - Pioneers - use by the technically aggressive

2010-13 - Market Consolidation -- too many players by then. Use by a
broader range of adopters. Ability to execute is key. (It wasn't to
the pioneers?)

2012-15+ - Critical Mass, Commoditization -- it gets normal and
boring. This is also when intracloud becomes widely supported.

Oh yes, and they decided to rename Cloud Computing. They call it
"service-enabled application platforms (SEAPs)".

I think their dates are optimistic, myself.

And I think the name is one of the most hideously ugly ever coined.
SEAP! SEAP! Yuck. Sounds like a sick ostrich chick. Why did they
bother? They still use "cloud" occasionally in the article.

Greg Pfister
http://perilsofparallel.blogspot.com/

Ray Nugent

Feb 3, 2009, 12:14:57 AM2/3/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
When was the last time these guys were right about anything?

Ray

Feb 3, 2009, 12:52:46 AM2/3/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Good Point

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 21:23:55 -0800
From: adwait...@gmail.com
To: cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

Tim M. Crawford

Feb 3, 2009, 1:08:25 AM2/3/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Gartner may seem a bit optimistic. However, if CC starts to gather steam quickly (as it appears to be doing), we could see similar results. Here's a model I had developed:

Trailblazers: 2-3 years (2009-2011)
Equilibrium: 3-6 years (2011-2014)
--- Plateau Reached ---
Market Consolidation: 5-7 years (2013-2015)

I completely agree that the terms need to change. SEAP doesn't seem like something that will stick...or is well defined. It just seems like a different, ambiguous term for Cloud Computing. This is part of the problem we're currently faced with. CC means different things to different people.

Tim

______________________________________
Tim M. Crawford
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timcrawford

Feb 3, 2009, 1:26:49 AM2/3/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
IMO, 2012 (+/- 1 year) will be when the Cloud successor will make its debut, whatever its called. I have called it Cloud 2.0 myself, but we'll see what the market will call it. The driving force for Cloud 2.0 will be standardization, easily supporting federation of clouds from multiple vendors, and competitive pricing to make Clouds financially attractive for any workloads, regardless of their elasticity needs (bursty vs. steady needs).

Cheers,
Ioan
Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Candidate
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department
University of Chicago
1100 E. 58th Street, Ryerson Hall
Chicago, IL 60637
Email: ira...@cs.uchicago.edu
Web:   http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/~iraicu
http://dev.globus.org/wiki/Incubator/Falkon
http://dsl-wiki.cs.uchicago.edu/index.php/Main_Page

Miha Ahronovitz

Feb 3, 2009, 2:10:45 AM2/3/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Greg, thanks for posting this. Being in High Performance Computing and grid computing for last 14 years, I have read maybe one report from Gartner worth remembering.

In HPC and Cloud Computing, Gartner and Forrester are consistenly besides the reality. They use interviews to extrapolate predictions, but they need to fine tune the research.  I have seen Forrester's on line presentation at IGT 2008 world Summit of Cloud Computing with analyst Charles Brett. He thinks HPC is going no-where, grid computing is less and less adopted. He thinks Cloud computing is nice but hard to attain, and coined the UMC, Ultra Modular Computing. This is cloud inside the Enterprise, which the only thing Forrester things it will survive.
http://video.new-app.com/customers/grid/IGT2008/Day1_part11/main_files/Default.htm#nopreload=1&event=1#event=1&autostart=1

There are  two analyst firms that dominate by far the HPC Cloud Computing concepts (and have the most reliable market predictions I have seen so far)

One is IDC. They are the ones who said the market $42 billion by 2012 and accounting for 9% of revenues in five key market segments. Earl Joseph is a lead analyst of HPC. Solid research and vision.

The second analyst firm  is Tabor Research. Dr. Christopher G. Willard formerly from IDC joined Tabor.  He is the best.  Debra Goldfarb, a major  HPC personality and Addison Snell, also formerly from IDC, complement Tobor's superb team.

Both these companies predicted the cloud computing NOW. IDC will risk their reputation if the number of $42B (bigger than the OS market) will not be reached.It will be exceded, and all who take advise now from Forrester and Gardner will miss the window of opportunity

Miha

Feb 3, 2009, 5:22:44 AM2/3/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Really. I'm glad you reacted to the el-cheapo attempt to revive the somehow-declared dead SOA [which I will respond to in my another BrightTALK talk on Burton Group's frustration on SOA] and so thought Gartner :"Umm..we gotta think of something, lets call it SEAP"

I'd rather call them CloudApps. This group is witness I am the inventor ot the term CloudApps and don't let anyone steal that from me ;-)

Anyways 2015 is pretty much in line with what I am expecting [with all the data that I have gathered as well]. There are too many socio-politico-economical shifts happening at once that it'll be at the doorstep faster than you can imagine.

Two words: Accelerated Commoditization means the arrival will be fast, quick and cheap.

So the SEAP is cheap but timing maybe right.
--
Kind Regards,

Tarry Singh
Founder, Avastu: Research-Analysis-Ideation
"Do something with your ideas!"
Business Cell: +31630617633
Private Cell: +31629159400
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tarrysingh
Blogs: http://www.ideationcloud.com

Ajit Karunakaran

Feb 3, 2009, 10:04:18 AM2/3/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

Hey Tim,

That sounds interesting…

Any companies/technologies you’ve bracketed into these categories already?

Ajit Karunakaran

Business Development Director - SEA Region

+91 9821032582

Feb 3, 2009, 10:17:27 AM2/3/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
An old industry friend of mine, Fritz Dressler,  was once (somewhat) quoted as saying :

"Predicting the future is easy .. It's understanding what's going on right now that's hard."

I always found that pretty true..
--
Cheers,
Jan

Ray Nugent

Feb 3, 2009, 11:04:35 AM2/3/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
That would be about right, however, I think the drivers will be price reduction due to large scale, credible competition from the Service Provider players and certifications such as SAS-70. These are the two biggest barriers to wide spread enterprise participation right now.

my $0.02

Ray

Feb 3, 2009, 11:44:14 AM2/3/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Ioan Raicu wrote:
IMO, 2012 (+/- 1 year) will be when the Cloud successor will make its debut, whatever its called. I have called it Cloud 2.0 myself, but we'll see what the market will call it. The driving force for Cloud 2.0 will be standardization, easily supporting federation of clouds from multiple vendors, and competitive pricing to make Clouds financially attractive for any workloads, regardless of their elasticity needs (bursty vs. steady needs).

Having devoted a good chunk of my life to creating cloud (back when it was called grid) standards, I don't hold out much hope that standards will be the answer.  Rather I suspect that if cloud is successful broadly that vendors (like the one I work for) will pop up and fill the federation gap as a value-add.

rw2

p.s. Ioan, I have not forgotten I owe you a call!

Tim M. Crawford

Feb 3, 2009, 1:29:30 PM2/3/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Yes, from two perspectives (the customers and the providers). However, that's based on what's available today and how it could morph into a more digestible solution for customers. There are a number of really novel solutions today, but are challenged with getting significant traction from the masses. While there are some technical challenges, I don't believe technology is the largest hurdle as much as a process/ perspective issue.

Tim

Tim M. Crawford
View Tim Crawford's profile on LinkedIn