Wall street journal article and market size?

Rajeev Gupta

Mar 26, 2009, 9:07:14 AM3/26/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

Today’s Wall street journal has a front page article on cloud computing

Interesting number(s) on market size –

IDC - $42b by 2011 – segment definition as an emerging IT development, deployment and delivery model, enabling real-time delivery of product, services and solutions over the Internet

Gartner-$56.3 billion in 09

Merrill Lynch last year estimated $160 billion by 2011

What a variance – which segment is the driver – SaaS, PaaS or IaaS? I am struggling to find a breakdown to understand what truly constitutes the major segment of the cloud – or is it becoming everything “real-time” IT run on the Internet?

Thanks

Rajeev Gupta

CTO, Avankia

dave corley

Mar 26, 2009, 11:57:06 AM3/26/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Gartner's breakdown is that about 60% of the cloud services revenue today is associated with advertising revenue. They expect that percentage to grow to 70% over the next three years.

Jim Starkey

Mar 26, 2009, 12:31:18 PM3/26/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
That rather begs Gartner's definition of cloud services. EC2 and S3
don't exactly get advertising revenue... Are we talking about the same
thing?
--
Jim Starkey
President, NimbusDB, Inc.

Raman Koovelimadom

Mar 26, 2009, 12:42:41 PM3/26/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Reminds me of the articles published in 1998 about e-Commerce and vertical markets.

Pietrasanta, Mark

Mar 26, 2009, 12:43:10 PM3/26/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Of course not. That's probably mostly representing Google ad revenue.

GoogleApps (gmail, etc.) are not Cloud infrastructure, but since SaaS is now called Cloud Computing, I guess it qualifies.

dave corley wrote:
> Gartner's breakdown is that about 60% of the cloud services revenue
> today is associated with advertising revenue. They expect that
> percentage to grow to 70% over the next three years.
>
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Rajeev Gupta
> <rajeev...@avankia.com <mailto:rajeev...@avankia.com>> wrote:
>
> Today's Wall street journal has a front page article on cloud
> computing
>

> Interesting number(s) on market size -
>
> IDC - $42b by 2011 - segment definition as an emerging IT
> development, deployment and delivery model, enabling real-time
> delivery of product, services and solutions over the Internet
>

> Gartner-$56.3 billion in 09
>

> Merrill Lynch last year estimated $160 billion by 2011
>

> What a variance - which segment is the driver - SaaS, PaaS or
> IaaS? I am struggling to find a breakdown to understand what truly
> constitutes the major segment of the cloud - or is it becoming

Pietrasanta, Mark

Mar 26, 2009, 12:44:14 PM3/26/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

The B2B trading exchanges will change the way companies do business forever!  Commerce One will be the biggest company in the world!  Oh, wait…

Mar 26, 2009, 12:46:06 PM3/26/09
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

Amazing…

So it’s not SaaS, PaaS or IaaS – its “Advertising” as a Service J

If this is true I feel that “Cloud-computing” is over-used term and is a fast losing its original (what I thought) definition of utility computing.

It would be nice to know what is the “utility computing” market size.