Cloud computing research report....

Chris Marino

Sep 12, 2008, 4:28:21 PM9/12/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Interesting research published by Pew Research about Cloud Computing.

Among the findings, among all internet uses:

56% use webmail services
29% use online apps like Gdocs or Adobe Photoshop Express

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2008/09/12/pew-data-shows-so
lid-uptake-for-cloud-apps/

Have to say I'm a bit skeptical on these numbers. For internet users,
webmail seems way too low, and the apps number seems way to high.

I can't find a link, but I thought I read someplace that Google Docs
were unknown to over 90% of people (both internet users and non users).

CM

Andrew Badera

Sep 12, 2008, 5:11:48 PM9/12/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
ha, was just having this conversation on FriendFeed.

webmail sounds about right too many -- plenty of people depend on their work or ISP email address still.

online apps sounds about right to me too -- sure, most people still don't know what Google Docs are, but if you look at every single service in the cloud, I guarantee most people you/we know are using at least one of those services, even if they don't recognize it as being "in the cloud". (Presuming a bias toward tech among our peers.)

Jake Kaldenbaugh

Sep 12, 2008, 5:22:32 PM9/12/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
And how many have all three gmail, yahoo and hotmail accounts that are probably being counted as independent mailboxes?

yarapavan

Sep 13, 2008, 4:02:52 AM9/13/08
to Cloud Computing
The other day i remember reading an article saying that most netizens
haven't heard of Google Docs at all.
Now this research study says otherwise.

On Sep 13, 2:22 am, "Jake Kaldenbaugh" <kaldenba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And how many have all three gmail, yahoo and hotmail accounts that are
> probably being counted as independent mailboxes?
>
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Andrew Badera <and...@badera.us> wrote:
> > ha, was just having this conversation on FriendFeed.
>
> > webmail sounds about right too many -- plenty of people depend on their
> > work or ISP email address still.
>
> > online apps sounds about right to me too -- sure, most people still don't
> > know what Google Docs are, but if you look at every single service in the
> > cloud, I guarantee most people you/we know are using at least one of those
> > services, even if they don't recognize it as being "in the cloud".
> > (Presuming a bias toward tech among our peers.)
>
> > On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Chris Marino <ch...@snaplogic.com> wrote:
>
> >> Interesting research published by Pew Research about Cloud Computing.
>
> >> Among the findings, among all internet uses:
>
> >> 56% use webmail services
> >> 29% use online apps like Gdocs or Adobe Photoshop Express
>
> >>http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2008/09/12/pew-data-shows-so
> >> lid-uptake-for-cloud-apps/<http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2008/09/12/pew-data-shows...>
>
> >> Have to say I'm a bit skeptical on these numbers. For internet users,
> >> webmail seems way too low, and the apps number seems way to high.
>
> >> I can't find a link, but I thought I read someplace that Google Docs
> >> were unknown to over 90% of people (both internet users and non users).
>
> >> CM
>
> > --
>
> > Thanks-
> > - Andy Badera
> > - and...@badera.us
>
> > - (518) 641-1280
> > -http://higherefficiency.net
> > -http://changeroundup.com/
> > -http://flipbitsnotburgers.blogspot.com/
> > -http://andrew.badera.us/

Tarry Singh

Sep 13, 2008, 8:39:41 AM9/13/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Exactly.

I know a lot of folks, who are using several accounts as spamcatchers etc.
--
Kind Regards,

Tarry Singh
Founder, Avastu: Research-Analysis-Ideation
"Do something with your ideas!"
Business Cell: +31630617633
Private Cell: +31629159400
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tarrysingh
Blogs: http://tarrysingh.blogspot.com

Tarry Singh

Sep 13, 2008, 9:25:23 AM9/13/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Link to that article?

Chris Marino

Sep 13, 2008, 11:53:58 AM9/13/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
I found the link...

Another Gartner study says that company adoption of 'cloud email' is a paltry 1% and will grow to 20% by 2012....

Something's fishy here...
CM