VMware steps into the cloud

Reuven Cohen

Jul 28, 2008, 12:10:35 PM7/28/08
to cloud-computing, clouds...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to personally welcome VMware to the cloud.

Today VMware announced its stand-alone ESXi hypervisor will be
available at no cost. ESXi 3.5 update 2, available today, meets the
criteria for mass cloud deployments: (1) ease of use and (2) maturity
and stability now having been 'battle tested' for six months with
customers. The leading server manufacturers have all embedded VMware
ESXi, including Dell, Fujitsu-Siemens, HP, IBM, and NEC.

This is the first major step for VMware in the cloud computing scene.
Historically VMware has focused on server consolidation and test / dev
and has priced their products accordingly. By making the underlying
hyper visor free they effectivily enable cloud providers with the
ability to utilize ESXi in their massive cloud server deployments
while also helping keep their costs competitive with other cloud
providers such as Amazon who utilize Xen.

You can download ESXI from: http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/

Reuven Cohen
Founder & Chief Technologist, Enomaly Inc.

blog > www.elasticvapor.com
-
Get Linked in> http://linkedin.com/pub/0/b72/7b4

William Newport

Jul 28, 2008, 12:23:45 PM7/28/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com, clouds...@googlegroups.com
They have been doing this for a while, now no? This is dangerous in my
humble opinion because basically this is the new BIOS owned by one
company. Virtual images built within this hypervisor will only run on
this hypervisor. Different hypervisors are basically using different
machine definitions and this will cause lock in as you cant move to a
different hypervisor easily.

We need a standard open source virtual machine specification that can
be implemented by all the major hypervisors to avoid this mess.

Billy Newport
IBM eXtreme Scale | http://www-306.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/extremescale/

Khazret Sapenov

Jul 28, 2008, 12:51:47 PM7/28/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:23 PM, William Newport <bnew...@mac.com> wrote:

They have been doing this for a while, now no? This is dangerous in my
humble opinion because basically this is the new BIOS owned by one
company. Virtual images built within this hypervisor will only run on
this hypervisor. Different hypervisors are basically using different
machine definitions and this will cause lock in as you cant move to a
different hypervisor easily.

We need a standard open source virtual machine specification that can
be implemented by all the major hypervisors to avoid this mess.

Billy Newport
IBM eXtreme Scale | http://www-306.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/extremescale/

Billy,
No worries :)
There's already such effort, called Project Kensho
quote:
"... Citrix Systems, Inc ...
today announced "Project Kensho," which will deliver Open Virtual Machine Format (OVF) tools that,
for the first time, allow independent software vendors (ISVs) and enterprise IT managers to easily create hypervisor-independent,
portable enterprise application workloads.  These tools will allow application workloads to be imported and run across Citrix XenServer™,
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V™ and VMware™ ESX virtual environments.  "

source:
http://www.citrix.com/English/NE/news/news.asp?newsID=1679371&ntref=hp_article_headlines_US

Another thing to consider is replacement of Diane Greene with Paul Maritz (worked 14 years for Microsoft and heavily involved in cloud computing later),
which is also a strong indicator of the move, besides their official 5 stage roadmap (Separate, Consolidate, Aggregate, Automate, Liberate) to compute clouds on and off premise.

Also interesting to see VMware's  financial results for 2nd quarter 2008
( http://www.vmware.com/company/q208highlights.html), I'll leave its interpretation up to you.

Reuven Cohen

Jul 28, 2008, 12:35:48 PM7/28/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
OVF attempts to address this need for a cross platform VM format.
VMware, Xen and Microsoft's hyperV all support this format giving
users the ability to fairly easily move among various virtualization
vendors.

As for whether or not VMware has been involved in cloud computing, I
don't know of any major cloud deployments using VMware.

Reuven

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:23 PM, William Newport <bnew...@mac.com> wrote:

www.enomaly.com :: 416 848 6036 x 1
skype: ruv.net // aol: ruv6

Ian

Jul 28, 2008, 2:12:20 PM7/28/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
We're using both VMware and Xen in our cloud environment (www.skytap.com) -
I think we're the only one with VMware support. We think that vendor lock-in
will be an issue for customers, so it's important to support all
hypervisors. Our customers are asking for the ability to upload and download
VMs from the cloud to in-house systems once they are done with development
and testing - most are currently running on VMWare, so supporting a standard
ESX hypervisor is a key requirement for them

-Ian

James Broberg

Jul 28, 2008, 8:08:58 PM7/28/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
I will have to try ESXi out for myself.. I wonder what features are
missing? I hope the API support is still there, and live migration.

Ron Leedy

Jul 28, 2008, 11:02:27 PM7/28/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
I went to a presentation were both a Xen engineer and VMWare engineer
talked. There seemed to be a gentlemen's agreement that going forward that
API for controlling VM from any vendor would be standard. Meaning that you
pick your hypervisor (from MS, Xen, VMWare) and be able to control a
container from any of them; even multiple containers from different vendors
on the same hypervisor.

Don't know how real this will be or if any of them will hold to doing it. I
am sure Xen and VMWare have more to gain and more reliable into following
standards than MS. We have seen MS's standards.

-Ron

Igor Edelman

Jul 29, 2008, 12:07:06 AM7/29/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

When it comes to virtualization and the techniques deployed to achieve (in this case) partitioning one often discusses full virtualization (VMware VI3.x), para-vitualization (Citrix’s Xen), and container or O/S virtualization (a la Parallels - Virtuozzo). Several vendors realize that the Hypervisor is a commodity and are providing management platforms that allow the management of VM's of many "flavors" E.g. BinaryKarma - Fuild VM or DynamicOps. Open Virtual Machine Format (OVF) will help to increase function compatibility. At this point, I see the management platforms working with API’s and/or native management interfaces to allow for a global view and ease of management. However, I don’t suspect that we will have a real push from any of the hypervisor vendors to go beyond that point too fast.

Igor

Paul Renaud

Jul 29, 2008, 8:18:22 AM7/29/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
This is why as a community we have to pressure all vendors to build out management standards around WS-Management.  WS-Man can and should become the SNMP of the cloud as it was, gee, designed to be used for the management of web services.

Case in point it the VM control issue in this thread.  There already is a basic profile for managing VMs using WS-Man from the DMTF.  It currently primarily provides visibility into resource utilization in the VMs and can readily be extended to provide the missing control functionality. The protocol is object oriented, secure, and XML-based, so extending the standard for this purpose can be both easy and readily standardized.

The last thing we want or need is yet another API for management purposes - especially when there is a perfectly good one ready to be used with broad support from W3C, DMTF, OASIS, and all the major vendors.

At a network level, we wouldn't accept a new vendor API for managing routers - we would pressure the vendor to publish their MIB so that we could leverage our investments in management applications, monitoring and analysis tools, reporting, etc.  Nor at a database level would we accept a new vendor API for managing databases - we would pressure them to define a SQL-compatible API.  Why wouldn't we do the same in a cloud?

> This is the first major step for VMware in the cloud computing scene.
> Historically VMware has focused on server consolidation and test / dev
> and has priced their products accordingly. By making the underlying
> hyper visor free they effectivily enable cloud providers with the
> ability to utilize ESXi in their massive cloud server deployments
> while also helping keep their costs competitive with other cloud
> providers such as Amazon who utilize Xen.
>
> You can download ESXI from: http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/

The only problem I see, would be their license terms:

VMware grants you a nonexclusive, non-transferable license, without rights
to sublicense, to (i) install or have installed a single instance of the
Software and each Licensed Additional Module on a single Server, unless
permitted to have multiple instances on a single Server or to have multiple
instances on multiple Servers by the payment of applicable license fees
(whether such fees are based on a per Processor, a per Virtual Machine, a
per user or any other VMware approved licensing model); (ii) use the
Software and each Licensed Additional Module solely for information
processing and computing purposes, including the hosting of computer
application-based services from a Virtual Machine and provision of such
services via an internal or external network, provided such services may not
consist of services to a third party that provide primarily computing or
processing power (such as utility computing or grid computing) or any
computer application-based service that is traded, rented, leased or sold on
a Virtual Machine basis; and (iii) use and reproduce the VMware Virtual
Infrastructure Client Software or VMware WebAccess (in object code form
only) for the purposes of installation and operation on an unlimited number
of your own internal computers or terminals solely for the purpose of
accessing the Server on which the Software is installed.;

That's going to restrict what a lot of people are doing/wanting to do (point
ii), because they don't want to loose their service provider licensing
revenue, where it's priced per VM instance per month.

Cheers,

Karl

Kristi Schultz

Jul 29, 2008, 9:20:13 AM7/29/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com, cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
There's already a well-defined standard for managing virtual systems in
CIM. Why not use that as the base model? Extend that as needed for clouds
and add RESTful web service access.

Kristi Schultz - Internet: kri...@us.ibm.com
STSM - Blue Cloud Ensemble Management
(507)253-2177 t/l 553-2177 Fax: (507)253-0424
----------------------------------
"Give the customer more than he expects."
"The more you laugh, the better things are."
[Butch Stewart]

Khazret Sapenov

Jul 29, 2008, 10:10:24 AM7/29/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Kristi and also want to add that along with the traditional things, like Web services and queued messaging, Microsoft's WCF adds support for RESTful communication, RSS/ATOM, and an interesting option called the WCF Line-of-Business Adapter SDK (see major layers of the Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) architecture at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms733128.aspx ).

Using mentioned tools it is pretty easy to wire Hyper-V's WMI and remote management interface.

Ray Nugent

Jul 29, 2008, 10:52:38 AM7/29/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Karl, your right on the money here. In fact ALL vendors are going to have this issue. The Cloud business model flies in the face of old school enterprise revenue model while the sales model does not change a whole lot. Same cost of sales, lower revenue and open source as competition. A couple if years out enterprise software is not going to be a fun business...

Ray

Ian

Jul 29, 2008, 12:23:09 PM7/29/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
It does support the API. Live migration is available with the Virtual
Center licensing packages as it was before.

Reuven Cohen

Jul 29, 2008, 1:21:59 PM7/29/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested in hearing some real world experiences with Live
migration. Mine haven't been very good.

Reuven

Chris Sears

Jul 29, 2008, 6:18:14 PM7/29/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Reuven Cohen <r...@enomaly.com> wrote:

I would be interested in hearing some real world experiences with Live
migration. Mine haven't been very good.

The joke that I've heard is that VMotion (VMWare's live migration) was mainly implemented for the VMWare sales guys to impress customer executives at presentations. In production it doesn't actually get used nearly as much as you would think.

> This is dangerous in my humble opinion because basically this is the new BIOS owned by one company
> - Billy Newport

I don't think ESXi is a new BIOS. My underrstanding is that there's a bit of flash memory or an SD card added to the motherboards of the servers that the BIOS can now see as a boot device. The BIOS ins't replaced with ESXi. VMWare has the server manufactuer load ESXi into this storage and you (the server buyer) then have ESXi as a OS boot option without ever having to install it. It's really just a way to one-up Microsoft since most people buying Windows Server 2008 will be getting Hyper-V for free.

I guess you could technically put another OS on that storage... or hide malware. And how often do you think people with apply patches or security updates to the ESXi image hiding inside their servers? Probably not ever. Lots of interesting possibilities.

Sort of reminds me of how desktop PCs come with all kinds of crapware applications that people hate. What would you call that... a crapware hypervisor... a crapervisor? (Awesome, no hits... http://www.google.com/search?q=crapervisor  I offically invented the term just now.)

 - Chris

William Newport

Jul 29, 2008, 6:40:18 PM7/29/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
No
What I meant was, traditionally the BIOS insulated the operating system from the hardware (at least in the good old days) or provided enough function to allow a 'real' operating system to boot. The hypervisor does the exact same thing for a virtual machine. It abstracts the real hardware and makes it standard so the operating system in the VM can boot with 'well known' virtual processor, network, storage cards etc. It's in this regard that the hypervisor virtual machine definition is similar to a BIOS and each hypervisor has a different definition of those virtual devices.

Ormond Merino

Jul 29, 2008, 7:38:44 PM7/29/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I am the primary hardware virtualization engineer at my employer, and I can attest that we use Vmotion, and if implemented properly, is very useful and reliable. I (and many others in the community) use it in every VMware implementation. Live migration technologies (Vmotion,Xenmotion, etc) will be a key tool used to get us to the 100% dynamic, fully automated datacenter. This allows us to commoditize hardware, and shift processing power from underutilized workloads to those struggling for resources - all without and guest downtime.

VMware is actually not the first vendor to put their hypervisor on a flash chip and OEM it with servers. Citrix has done the same with XenServer, and I imagine Microsoft will with Hyper-V. Phoenix is, however working on using their BIOS to  bootstrap at a hypervisor.

...ormond

Paul Renaud

Jul 29, 2008, 9:23:35 PM7/29/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
As Kristi points out, WS-Man already has a great start as the baseline management protocol to use for all SaaS applications because of the existing standardized CIM profile for Virtual Machines and the well established method for binding CIM to WS-Man via XML-CIM bindings.

There is no need to add anything to WS-Management to make it RESTful.  The basic underlying protocols within WS-Man such as WS-Transfer and WS-Addressing are also clearly RESTful (especially when used in an anonymous reply mode), and if you can believe (as many do) that SNMP is a RESTful architecture even with GET Next state-oriented semantics within the protocol, then WS-Man is equally RESTful.  Most practical management protocols (such as SNMPv2 and WS-Enumerate) require some degree of session state to deal with management of large scale resources.

Most SaaS and in general cloud implementations have focused on the features in their service interface but do not provide a separate WS management interface for monitoring the state of resources consumed or provided by the service, events & status relating to the service, service performance or assurance, etc.  Some do a better job providing an interface for service provisioning - especially the ones that grew out of a grid-forum-style batch job heritage.

The Windows Communication Framework referenced by Khazret provides a lot of advanced features such as reliable queuing that historically have not been as important on the management interface as they are on the service interface.  SNMP is immensely powerful and widely used precisely because it is not overloaded by mechanism (in contrast to CMIP).

SaaS to really become mainstream needs (a) to separate the management interface from the service interface, and (b) use a widely accepted and simple to implement & use protocol such as WS-Man for that management interface.

Are there any SaaS applications out there that already do this?  I've yet to find any but this space is growing rapidly.

Jul 29, 2008, 8:53:07 PM7/29/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Rackspace has VMWare support ....Don't look at mosso .... Look at Rackspace hosting services ....

"HT"

Dave "HT" Kramer
ht_k...@hotmail.com
972.636.5445

Khazret Sapenov

Jul 29, 2008, 10:25:15 PM7/29/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 8:53 PM, Dave Kramer <ht_k...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Rackspace has VMWare support ....Don't look at mosso .... Look at Rackspace hosting services ....

"HT"

Dave "HT" Kramer
ht_k...@hotmail.com
972.636.5445

How quickly all changes :)
quote:
"Hosting providers offering virtual servers could be barking up the wrong tree, according to Rackspace. Virtualisation is not yet ready for the big time, and is unlikely to save its users money, the hosting company claimed. "
source:

Stuart Charlton

Jul 30, 2008, 4:00:40 AM7/30/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

On 29-Jul-08, at 6:23 PM, Paul Renaud wrote:

There is no need to add anything to WS-Management to make it RESTful.  The basic underlying protocols within WS-Man such as WS-Transfer and WS-Addressing are also clearly RESTful (especially when used in an anonymous reply mode), and if you can believe (as many do) that SNMP is a RESTful architecture even with GET Next state-oriented semantics within the protocol, then WS-Man is equally RESTful.  Most practical management protocols (such as SNMPv2 and WS-Enumerate) require some degree of session state to deal with management of large scale resources.

That's not really true.

SNMP is not a RESTful architecture.   There are some similarities if you look at very specific subsets of SNMP, but one can't use SNMP to build a hypermedia system.

Now, certainly, WS-Man has adopted some specifications that initially were attempting to adopt some of REST's properties, but no one in practice is really using the technology as a RESTful architecture, since it only partially fulfills the constraints.    William Vambenepe, a WS standards co-author in that area, has a good recent summary on the current state of affairs:

Basically, there's a lot of politics involved with WS-Man.

SaaS to really become mainstream needs (a) to separate the management interface from the service interface, and (b) use a widely accepted and simple to implement & use protocol such as WS-Man for that management interface.

I wouldn't call WS-Man "easy to use" ;-).

It is well supported in some cases, of course, and with tooling it can be made palatable, though I think it lacks many desirable properties.

Are there any SaaS applications out there that already do this?  I've yet to find any but this space is growing rapidly.

We're looking to do this, to some degree, with EDML at Elastra, though we're some time away from opening it up, and we don't really intend for it to be a standard -- just an open specification and some associated tooling.

Cheers
Stu

Ian

Jul 30, 2008, 12:05:40 PM7/30/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

I like the 451 definition of a cloud environment (although there are lots of others out there): http://blog.skytap.com/2008/07/451-report-on-cloud-computing/

I don’t believe Rackspace offers the following characteristics on their VMware-based hosting services (but tell me if I’m wrong!):

- Enforce the discipline of a retail model

- An API. If there is no API, then it is not a service

- Virtualizes resources (e.g., CPU, storage) as a service  - multi-tenancy is key

- Self-service

- Enables resources to be consolidated

- Flexible

- Available on-demand

- Self-healing

- SLA-driven

-Ian

According to the 451 definition of "Cloud" Amazon's service isn't a
cloud. It isn't self-healing.

Chuck Wegrzyn

Ian wrote:

> I like the 451 definition of a cloud environment (although there are
> lots of others out there):
> http://blog.skytap.com/2008/07/451-report-on-cloud-computing/
>
> I don’t believe Rackspace offers the following characteristics on
> their VMware-based hosting services (but tell me if I’m wrong!):
>
> - Enforce the discipline of a retail model
>
> - An API. If there is no API, then it is not a service
>
> - Virtualizes resources (e.g., CPU, storage) as a service -
> multi-tenancy is key
>
> - Self-service
>
> - Enables resources to be consolidated
>
> - Flexible
>
> - Available on-demand
>
> - Self-healing
>
> - SLA-driven
>
> -Ian

Moshref

Jul 30, 2008, 3:56:17 PM7/30/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

Following is from Computer World:

Performance - you want the virtualized performance to be approximately equal to what the user is accustomed to. I have talked to a few people who found VMware virtual desktops to be unacceptably slow in their environment, while others have said it's ok. The point is that bandwidth, processor performance, and even the application demands on I/O processing can impact the choice of solutions. The first order of business is to make sure the virtual system performs for your end users. If it doesn't give an acceptable user experience, nothing else will matter.

Rgds,

Moshref

Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:06 AM
To: cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

Paul Renaud

Jul 30, 2008, 8:45:42 PM7/30/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Many folk do believe SNMP to be a Restful architecture.  For those that do, then WS-Man must be too.  For those that don't, it's certainly easier to see Restful principles at work within WS-Transfer and pretty much all of WS-Addressing.  In fact those two protocols (plus SSL) is all you need to use a subset of WS-Man to implement most of the equivalent functionality of SNMP.

WS-Man is considerably easier to use when compared to other management protocols (including SNMP).  Compared to other protocols, who cares?  The issue is manageability.

Most importantly, to implement the basic and most common management function of polling the value of an attribute on a managed object - WS-Man is amazingly easy to use.  I can easily get a high school student, using nothing more than a text editor, an XML schema, and some basic instruction on how to read XML, up and coding valid queries in an afternoon.  That is simply not possible with SNMP's BER encoding, MIB tables, etc.

Yet SNMP is the dominant management protocol on the planet.  Unfortunately, SNMP's lack of security and lack of XML binding is impractical to use for managing SaaS and more generally cloud services.  The SaaS/Cloud industry needs its own SNMP-equivalent.

No one buys an unmanageable router, so why would we expect customers to buy unmanageable SaaS services?

Please do not inflict your proprietary management protocol on us by open sourcing it. Keep it to yourself as I'm sure it does what you need it to.  As for your consumers' needs there is no added value in introducing competing open implementations to something that already works, already provides the mechanisms required for managing the cloud, and is already widely accepted.

SNMP became the dominant management protocol of the previous millennium because it was SIMPLE -- not based whether it was RESTful or not.  It's simplicity is what motivated thousands of smart people to stop trying to compete with it (it's easy to imagine extensions or improvements on it) and to realize their true objective of driving mass adoption of their product by promoting a common standard.

A rising tide really does float all boats (that choose to throw away their proprietary anchors).

Yes there is some unnecessary fluff in WS-MAN (such as mechanisms to limiting the amount of info transferred), so there is added-value in defining a strict subset profile of WS-Man that can be used to simplify the majority of management implementations and promote adoption.   If anyone would like to work with me on this, please email me directly.

From: William Newport <bnew...@mac.com>

Sassa NF

Jul 31, 2008, 2:23:45 AM7/31/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Why did you bring up BER as a drawback? It is only _encoding_, not the
schema. You aren't seriously suggesting that the enterprise users will
type raw XML for management just like your highschool student does!

Unless of course hiring that student works out cheaper than writing a
management GUI? ;-)

Sassa

Sassa NF

Jul 31, 2008, 3:08:05 AM7/31/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Is that for a fact? Where can I read about that?

I'd expect the paravirtualisation to happen that way, i.e. expose the
devices via standard API, but I didn't think "the real" virtualisation
worked like that; I thought they'd use protected mode and handle
exceptions when "guest OS" wants to access I/O or execute a privileged
instruction. ...so there'd be no "API" that the guest OS could use:
the guest OS can use the API only when it knows it is
(para)virtualised.

Sassa

Alexis Richardson

Jul 31, 2008, 6:15:41 AM7/31/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Paul

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:45 AM, Paul Renaud <ren...@lanigangroup.ca> wrote:
> Many folk do believe SNMP to be a Restful architecture. For those that do,
> then WS-Man must be too.

I think Stu's point was that CRUD is different from REST
(http://www.infoq.com/articles/rest-introduction) ... and that with
SNMP you don't get the "HATEOAS" property
(http://www.stucharlton.com/blog/archives/000141.html).

> SNMP became the dominant management protocol of the previous millennium
> because it was SIMPLE -- not based whether it was RESTful or not.

YES!

> Yes there is some unnecessary fluff in WS-MAN (such as mechanisms to
> limiting the amount of info transferred), so there is added-value in
> defining a strict subset profile of WS-Man that can be used to simplify the
> majority of management implementations and promote adoption.

I am sure we would all like to see this in action - can you describe
the subset of WS-Man that you have in mind please and explain for us
non experts (1) how this relates to SNMP, and (2) where, if ever, it
is important that a RESTful principle is used.

That would be great :-)

alexis

William Newport

Jul 31, 2008, 8:41:34 AM7/31/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Thats a fact
They are intercepting but they need to emulate registers on the actual
virtual hardware for the normal drivers in the operating system to
work. The virtual device that they are emulating is like an API to
talk with the actual network card on the server. Storage controllers
are everything else work the same way. Thus, the virtual machine image
is dependant on the spec of the virtual machine because when the
operating system was installed and 'detected' the hardware to select
drivers it is then bound to that specification and becomes, unportable.

Sam Johnston

Jul 31, 2008, 8:55:25 AM7/31/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Sassa NF <sassa.nf@gmail.com> wrote:

Why did you bring up BER as a drawback? It is only _encoding_, not the
schema. You aren't seriously suggesting that the enterprise users will
type raw XML for management just like your highschool student does!

Actually, yes. While I have worked with people who could probably interrogate a router over SNMP by feeding netcat manually crafted ASN.1 requests, us mere mortals are less masochistic and tend to prefer stuff that 'just works'. These days, if I can't manipulate an API with cURL (or at least a line or two of perl, python or php and a common library) then it essentially doesn't exist.

As an example, why would I want to do a bunch of SOAP stuff to authenticate, subscribe, etc. to a log when that same logfile could be simply mapped to a URL (something akin to '$ tail -f /var/log/system.log |nc -l 3333', only with HTTP and/or SSL auth).

Unless of course hiring that student works out cheaper than writing a
management GUI? ;-)

How do you think [the most useful] GUIs get written in the first place?

Yes management is a complex problem and I realise there needs to be standards and infrastructure; I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Sam

--
Sam Johnston
Australian Online Solutions

Ormond Merino

Jul 31, 2008, 9:26:43 AM7/31/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
To your point Igor - A standardized virtual machine definition will have to take vendor proprietary functionality into consideration. Citrix and Microsoft have already made statements that certain workloads will perform better on their hypervisor than on a competitor's. How would this impact a standard virtual machine definition?

 OVF is a good start, but in my opinion the standard should also take the following into consideration:

  • HAL being presented to the guest. Each vendor presents a different x86 chipset to the guest, with certain limitations on number of PCI devices, etc.
  • CPU family and stepping, including the ability to mask most instruction sets. Imagine if a guest has detected a certain instruction set on boot, then attempts to leverage that instruction set after it's migrated to a host that does not present it.
  • Each vendor supplies a proprietary set of 'enhancements', which is a collection of tools, drivers, etc. that gets installed in a guest. These 'enhancements' provide the drivers for the devices presented by the HAL and work together with the virtualization layer to leverage the advanced features each vendor supplies.

On the subject of VDI, it is merely server based computing, and you should apply the same performance tuning, latency impact testing, and capacity planning as you would with any SBC platform (ie: Citrix, Terminal Servvices, etc.).Computer World is just stating the obvious in that respect.

...ormond

Stuart Charlton

Jul 31, 2008, 11:42:43 AM7/31/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
On 30-Jul-08, at 5:45 PM, Paul Renaud wrote:

Many folk do believe SNMP to be a Restful architecture.  For those that do, then WS-Man must be too.  For those that don't, it's certainly easier to see Restful principles at work within WS-Transfer and pretty much all of WS-Addressing.  In fact those two protocols (plus SSL) is all you need to use a subset of WS-Man to implement most of the equivalent functionality of SNMP.

Sorry, those many folk that believe SNMP is RESTful are wrong.   I don't mean to be so blunt, but in this case, I can't say it any other way.    You can't just "will" something to be something when it's not, that path leads to nonsense.

Most importantly, to implement the basic and most common management function of polling the value of an attribute on a managed object - WS-Man is amazingly easy to use.  I can easily get a high school student, using nothing more than a text editor, an XML schema, and some basic instruction on how to read XML, up and coding valid queries in an afternoon.  That is simply not possible with SNMP's BER encoding, MIB tables, etc.

That's utterly ludicrous.

Let me clarify: you're suggesting that a high school student is going to interact with a protocol, in an afternoon,  that incorporates over 5 to 6 different WS or XML related specs (Eventing, Enumeration, Transfer, Addressing, SOAP, XML Namespaces, and XML Schemas), with only a programming language,  an XML parser and HTTP library?  Not even a SOAP toolkit?

Adults with decades of experience have trouble with half of those specifications on their better days.

  IBM had been claiming for quite a while that you can't actually implement WS-Man on even a *toolkit* like JAX-WS.  They're hardly high school students.    (Though, Sun has shown us it's quite possible with Project Wiseman.)

I think it's very easy to demonstrate polling a management value with an SNMP toolkit like SNMP4J, and reasonable on something like Wiseman.    You might even get a college graduate  to do it in a day.

Though I'd also note that a high school student probably could build a script to poll a management variable over cURL in less than 30 minutes.

Please do not inflict your proprietary management protocol on us by open sourcing it. Keep it to yourself as I'm sure it does what you need it to.  As for your consumers' needs there is no added value in introducing competing open implementations to something that already works, already provides the mechanisms required for managing the cloud, and is already widely accepted.

If you'd like to understand EDML and ECML better, there's a white paper on our website.   We're primarily focused on languages describing, storing, and collaborating on architectural designs, configurations, and pools of resources.   Neither WS-Man nor SNMP fulfill such requirements, and we will use them where they're appropriate.

SNMP became the dominant management protocol of the previous millennium because it was SIMPLE -- not based whether it was RESTful or not.  It's simplicity is what motivated thousands of smart people to stop trying to compete with it (it's easy to imagine extensions or improvements on it) and to realize their true objective of driving mass adoption of their product by promoting a common standard.

Sure, I agree.   At the same time, the cloud is ripe for innovation in several areas.

For example, would you suggest that Google expose their GData as WS-Man endpoints?

How about Microsoft Astoria?

These are all areas of overlap with WS-Man, but even vendors that supported and *defined* WS-Man, like Microsoft, are taking alternative approaches when dealing with the cloud.  You may want to consider why.

Cheers
Stu

Randy Bias

Jul 31, 2008, 10:06:04 PM7/31/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
At the risk of being controversial, XML, SOAP, *and* SNMP are all
terrible solutions.

Having seen a lot of real world solutions I can tell you that your
average Ops person has no desire to read or write XML. SOAP, in this
regard, is just another nasty layer on top of it. Tooling only goes
so far to resolve this issue. In many real world situations, the
dominant monitoring and management tools aren't SNMP-based either.
Take Nagios for example. It's a widely deployed open source tool with
a large number of native plugins, most of which do not use SNMP. As
far as I can tell, SNMP has significant traction only in terms of
network management and monitoring. In terms of systems? Not so
much. Perhaps in commercial land, but no in open source land.

We need new data packaging standards that are user-friendly (JSON or
YAML anyone?) and I, for one, think the centralized monitoring
paradigm is fundamentally broken. If the machine is up and
operational it should monitor itself and the app that runs on it. It
should regularly report back it's status and that of the app. If it's
down, someone should be fixing it. Nothing else scales and nothing
else is as cloud friendly. It's really a distributed computing
problem at the end of the day.

--Randy

Randy Bias, Founder, CloudScale
(877) 636-8589, ran...@cloudscale.net
blog: http://neotactics.com/blog

William Newport

Jul 31, 2008, 10:36:42 PM7/31/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Agreed
I have long given up on ws-* as a simple solution for anything. Print
out the specs and stand them up on end. It's just scary. I don't think
anybody with a day job understands all those specs with any level of
detail. It's a mess.

I'd like to see simple standards like RSS/ATOM/JSON being used to
export metrics etc from entities. This is consumable by anybody with a
browser. I'm always thinking of exposing metrics from IBM eXtreme
Scale as an RSS feed with the last 30 values for example. This would
allow someone to use a company portal to build a management console
and view the news from CNN or indeed this mailing list along side it.
Software like yahoo pipes could be used to mine/build derivative
values from it and all without me having to do anything more complex
than export an RSS feed which is childs play to do.

Billy

Billy Newport

Ray Nugent

Jul 31, 2008, 11:44:13 PM7/31/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
At the network layer SNMP rules by virtue of it's ubiquity, nothing more. And despite the fact that ASN.1 and MIB development continues to be the domain of high priests no one seems interested in changing it. (I have a good deal of experience with this problem.:-)  And so it will endure until Cisco falls some time next millennium. At all layers above the network layer, SNMP is neither ubiquitous nor appropriate. And so there is an opportunity...

Ray

Aug 1, 2008, 2:16:36 AM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

><snip>
>can you describe the subset of WS-Man that you have in mind please
>and explain for us non experts (1) how this relates to SNMP, and (2) where,
if ever, it is important that a RESTful
>principle is used.
>
>That would be great :-)
>alexis

Hi Alexis,

I apologize for this long response, but much of the confusion around cloud
protocol design flows from an inadequate separation of concerns about what
the protocol should be designed to do in the first place. The first such
separation is between the service itself and the management of that service.

Every network service has a service interface that has one or more primary
interfaces that it provides to its consumers on the network. This
interface(s) can and should be very specific to the service that is being
offered. A wide variety of design patterns for network interface design
(such as RESTful) may be useful in defining that interface. But no matter
how well that service interface is designed, something more is required.

Every network service should also have a separate and secure management
interface that is used to manage that service. This interface should NOT be
confused with the service interface (for example it must be available even
when the service is not - e.g. so that maintenance on the service can be
performed remotely).

Unlike the service interface which is best designed to meet the needs of the
service provided, the management interface must be designed to meet the
needs of the remote management application(s) that use it. These management
applications vary greatly and may be autonomic or have users at the steering
wheel; may be old-fashioned single hierarchy manager/agent style managers or
multi-hierarchy or peer-manager style; federated or isolated, etc.

Regardless of how the management side of the application is organized or
controlled, the accepted design pattern for the management interface is:

1. a simple schema describing the resources available for management (e.g.
MIB in SNMP, WS-Addressing compatible XML schema in WS-Man). This maps well
to the "give resources an ID" concept in REST.

2. a mandatory implementation of a synchronous polling mechanism (e.g. GET
in SNMP and anonymous mode WS-Transfer in WS-Man) that enables the retrieval
of the attributes of a single resource within that schema. This also maps
well into the REST pattern of getting the attributes of a URI. The
implementation that responds to the poll may or may not be stateless.

3. optional implementation of an asynchronous eventing mechanism (e.g. Trap
in SNMP and WS-Eventing sink in WS-Man) based on a simple subscription about
the status change on a resource. A subscription is necessary so that a
destination can be supplied for these events. Asynchronous eventing is
optional because although the same management purpose can be accomplished
with synchronous polling, it is far less stress on the network to use
eventing. Asynchronous eventing is non-RESTful.

4. the interface itself must be secure (SNMP has less than ideal community
strings and in v3 user/name password, while WS-Man uses certs). Security is
not prescribed by the REST pattern.

5. optional implementation of lifecycle management for the managed resource
(create, update, delete) subject to the authorization control provided by
the security of the management interface (e.g. SET in SNMP,
Create/Put/Delete in WS-Man). Some folk incorrectly argue that lifecycle
management via CRUD-like operations is non-RESTful but HTTP GET, POST, & PUT
are clearly CRUD-style verbs! (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_State_Transfer)

Since most management protocols also use a minimalistic set of commands to
implement the above, and operate in a client/server context, a case can be
made for arguing that they are Restful.

It really doesn't matter whether a management protocol is Restful or not -
the most important thing is that it is both simple & standard so that it
will be widely implemented by both service providers and a wide variety of
management applications. Simplicity gets lost when people confuse the
separation between the service itself and management of the service.

The separation between service and management interfaces has been a
fundamental principle of network systems design since the birth of network
computing. It is fundamental to the object-managed object paradigm and also
shows up in many other places too. A couple of examples of this separation
of concern are ICMP at the network layer and SNMP at the application layer.
For example, in the Internet all network elements implement IP (service
interface) and ICMP (management interface) at the inter-network layer.
Specific network elements such as routers implement a variety of routing
protocols such as EGP, etc.(service interface) and SNMP (management
interface).

This fundamental principle is also well known in non-data networks such as
the public telephone, radio, and TV broadcast networks etc. For example,
the vertical blanking interval in a television network is used to carry
signal synchronization (management interface) that is not displayed as part
of the video scanning stream (service interface).

The separation between service and management exists at the network
application layer too. For example, your website is a network application
that responds to HTTP requests (service interface), but standing up a new
website is not usually performed by that same interface. To create a new
website you would define a management interface with different semantics to
register your website and to PUT the new webpages onto your website. If you
were cunning you might even use HTTP as the transport mechanism for such an
interface. Just because the interfaces are different doesn't mean that the
protocol cannot be shared, but caution must be used when defining a
management protocol based on re-using other protocols.

The need to separate the different concerns between service & management
interface is something that the current band of WS-* protocol experts seem
to have forgotten (hence the protocol bloat within the WS-Man suite). It
pains me to see the W3C committees debating the merits of reliable
messaging, fancy soap optimizations, session-semantics, etc for use in
management protocols. Protocol bloat is what killed off the entire ISO suite
of protocols, including CMIP/CMISE for management.

Defining a strict subset within WS-Man would greatly simplify the situation,
promote adoption, and not break existing implementations.

A first cut at a minimalist subset of WS-Man would be:

1. WS-Transfer with only anonymous Reply-To in response/actions (maps to GET
and PUT in SNMP),
2. WS-Enumerate (maps to GET Next and GET Bulk in SNMP) without filtering,
without expiry, without max time or length, and without Get Status.
3. WS-Addressing as is.
4. Optional WS-Eventing (maps to SNMP Trap) without Subscription End (not
reliable anyway)
5. WS-Security with only X509 signed tokens (possibly with only a single
encryption method)

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Renaud

Aug 1, 2008, 2:26:09 AM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
SNMP became ubiquitous because it was simple to implement and the networking world decided that it was more important to have a simple standard than it was to argue about how to make it perfect.  It was never intended for human readability.  However, SNMP isn't really feasible for most SaaS applications since it isn't "firewall friendly".

Our opportunity is to follow the example of what made SNMP so successful and rapidly adopt a common, existing, standard for SaaS management.  It doesn't have to be Restful, or perfect.  Like SNMP, it simply needs to be practical.

WS-Man fits the bill as a "next-gen SNMP" - particularly if we all use a strict subset to speed adoption.

Aug 1, 2008, 4:34:06 AM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmm.... I was under impression that the hardware API is a set of
ports and interrupts, and is defined by hardware. VMWare's job is to
emulate the hardware, but they cannot introduce new device API, nor
can this API be VMWare-specific, under the assumption that the OS
drivers do not know the devices are virtualised. The drivers will
attempt to use the same hardware ports, and neither the ports they
use, nor the expected behaviour depends on VMWare. All VMWare can do,
is introduce new bugs (e.g. time goes back).

I think it is as much a lock-in, as the OS software would be locked-in
after installing it on a physical machine.

However, in a paravirtualised environment this does happen
differently, but then the device drivers are
(para)virtualisation-aware (virtualisation-specific); in fact, it
seems it is the device drivers through which para-virtualisation is
achieved.

That's my understanding of virtualisation.

Sassa

Sassa NF

Aug 1, 2008, 8:32:18 AM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
2008/7/31 Sam Johnston <sa...@samj.net>:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Sassa NF <sass...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Why did you bring up BER as a drawback? It is only _encoding_, not the
>> schema. You aren't seriously suggesting that the enterprise users will
>> type raw XML for management just like your highschool student does!
>
> Actually, yes. While I have worked with people who could probably
> interrogate a router over SNMP by feeding netcat manually crafted ASN.1
> requests, us mere mortals are less masochistic and tend to prefer stuff that
> 'just works'. These days, if I can't manipulate an API with cURL (or at
> least a line or two of perl, python or php and a common library) then it
> essentially doesn't exist.

:-) Yes, the XML has advantage only in adoption of the technology by
the developers, as they can play with it without having to bother with
the encoding. If there were ubiquitous libraries for handcrafting BER
out of a declarative text, like ASN.1 definitions with the values
filled in, there wouldn't be any difference. On the other hand, such
libraries would have existed only if BER was adopted by the developers
;-)

Oh, and here's a NSNMP Perl library for you:
http://search.cpan.org/~kragen/NSNMP-0.5/NSNMP.pm

> As an example, why would I want to do a bunch of SOAP stuff to authenticate,
> subscribe, etc. to a log when that same logfile could be simply mapped to a
> URL (something akin to '$ tail -f /var/log/system.log |nc -l 3333', only
> with HTTP and/or SSL auth).
>
>> Unless of course hiring that student works out cheaper than writing a
>> management GUI? ;-)
>
> How do you think [the most useful] GUIs get written in the first place?

Certainly, *not* by handcrafting the XML!

(I don't regard copy-pasting the examples as *handcrafting*, because
in that case you could as well handcraft any BER from the examples.
Without copy-pasting any solution is prone to typos, especially in
long and unreadable URIs (or OIDs for that matter))

Sassa

Sassa NF

Aug 1, 2008, 8:51:54 AM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Centralised monitoring is needed for centralised management. Learn to
scale management, then we can scale monitoring as well. As for sending
a "digest" of metrics instead of raw metrics, this reduces the problem
N times, N=number of metrics, not M times, M=number of monitored
entities.

Sassa

Sassa NF

Aug 1, 2008, 9:05:03 AM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
2008/8/1 Paul Renaud <ren...@lanigangroup.ca>:

> A first cut at a minimalist subset of WS-Man would be:
>
> 1. WS-Transfer with only anonymous Reply-To in response/actions (maps to GET
> and PUT in SNMP),
> 2. WS-Enumerate (maps to GET Next and GET Bulk in SNMP) without filtering,
> without expiry, without max time or length, and without Get Status.
> 3. WS-Addressing as is.
> 4. Optional WS-Eventing (maps to SNMP Trap) without Subscription End (not
> reliable anyway)
> 5. WS-Security with only X509 signed tokens (possibly with only a single
> encryption method)

6. Disaster-proof features: can't rely on distributed systems, because
this interface is for managing them, including lifecycle management

X.509 scales authentication, but this has nothing to do with
authorisation. Try to devise a scalable access control policy and
access control management infrastructure (PMI). Is X.509 PMI part of
WS-Security? And what do you do if the Root CA PKC / PKC repository /
AC repository is not available (the interface should be
disaster-proof)? You fall back to simple unscalable forms of
authentication and authorisation (hence the simplicity of these in
SNMP).

Oh, and both X.509 PKI and X.509 PMI are based on BER-encoded tokens.
Anyone up to handcraft that in XML? ;-)

Sassa

> Cheers,
> Paul

Sassa NF

Aug 1, 2008, 8:48:47 AM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
RSS for monitoring? Maybe. But Management is more than monitoring.

Sassa

Barr, Bill

Aug 1, 2008, 11:22:15 AM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Have you shared your sentiments with your colleagues (culprits) who are
key contributors to the WS* mess?

Aug 1, 2008, 12:12:25 PM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
I'm not known for being shy...

Are we going to send a million management events per second encoded as
XML within SOAP packets, I don't think so. Network bandwidth is an
issue (especially when you're paying per bit in a cloud...).

While IBM is clearly committed to ws-*, it's not something I work on
directly or worry about at all.

Billy Newport

Ray Nugent

Aug 1, 2008, 11:50:08 AM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
SNMP became ubiquitous because of it's low overhead and thus small impact on the network. Remember that when Marshall Rose created it "broadband" was a 64K line...

I'm not sure WS-M would be considered either simple or low overhead. Lots of XML based management systems have failed to overtake SNMP. We'll see how WS-M does.

SNMP became ubiquitous because it was simple to implement and the networking world decided that it was more important to have a simple standard than it was to argue about how to make it perfect.  It was never intended for human readability.  However, SNMP isn't really feasible for most SaaS applications since it isn't "firewall friendly".

Our opportunity is to follow the example of what made SNMP so successful and rapidly adopt a common, existing, standard for SaaS management.  It doesn't have to be Restful, or perfect.  Like SNMP, it simply needs to be practical.

WS-Man fits the bill as a "next-gen SNMP" - particularly if we all use a strict subset to speed adoption.

Aug 1, 2008, 1:30:48 PM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

Paul Renaud wrote on 08/01/2008 01:16:36 AM:

Paul, as I read your post, I expected you to recommend RESTful interfaces,
period. Not sure I followed why you thought WS-Man is necessary?

BTW - on event notifications, using RSS/ATOM is a perfectly acceptable
RESTful way of doing that.

Dan Kearns

Aug 1, 2008, 1:52:15 PM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:12 AM, William Newport <bnew...@mac.com> wrote:
I'm not known for being shy...

Are we going to send a million management events per second encoded as
XML within SOAP packets, I don't think so. Network bandwidth is an
issue (especially when you're paying per bit in a cloud...).

I won't be defending ws-* either, but for argument's sake, let's completely discount the development and integration costs as irrelevant.

A million events per second sounds like a lot of stuff to be failing all at once under the domain of a single responsible entity.

It isn't clear to me how the potential ~10-100x cost benefit from custom encodings and protocols vs soap+xml makes enough of a difference at that scale to justify the continued existence of an architecture which requires it.

-d

William Newport

Aug 1, 2008, 2:04:40 PM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
I think CPU cost to generate and consume the events is one factor for the ASN and compiled versions and the cost per network bit charging model.

If you want to consume events using RSS/ATOM though, XML or a text property like encoding, JSON are the only real options. So, I'm on the fence, I can see both sides as far as network efficient and readable. It's hard to beat pulling metrics using RSS and a browser versus almost anything else in terms of footprint. Maybe different 'feeds' with different encodings.

Billy

Sassa NF

Aug 1, 2008, 3:14:02 PM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Let's put this straight. CPU savings come from definite length
encoding. Network bandwidth savings come from using more efficient
packaging of the bits.

So, XML is as good on the bandwidth side as BER, if you are sending
mostly text. The BER can save you CPU on the decoding side, as it has
a definite-length form. There probably is no difference on the
encoding side for simple text structures.

So by using BER to consume text messages, you will save a few CPU
cycles on the client end, where they are quite cheap anyway. If you
were to save the bandwidth, you'd probably need to have a Base*46*
encoding.

Sassa

Krishna Sankar (ksankar)

Aug 1, 2008, 3:38:35 PM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
|ports and interrupts, and is defined by hardware. VMWare's job is to
|emulate the hardware, but they cannot introduce new device API, nor
|can this API be VMWare-specific, under the assumption that the OS
<KS>
Agreed, but ...

While VMWare cannot introduce southbound APIs, they can add
Northbound APIs; even some east-west i.e. between VMs for coordination,
state et al. IMHO, we have virtualization 2.0 ;o) While hardware
mediation and partition layer were the original virtualization
propositions - with consolidation and utilization as business value
propositions, the charter of the domain has evolved a lot since the
advent of "cloud computing". Mobility of VMs (static or dynamic), the
various aspects of HA, management, locality et al plus just plain old
resource balancing will necessitate a bigger role (and hence more
interfaces, programming models et al) for the lowly VM layer !

BTW, these will be based on interoperable open standards and not
based on lock-ins.
</KS>

Cheers
<k/>

Aug 1, 2008, 11:08:38 PM8/1/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 1, 2008, at 5:51 AM, Sassa NF wrote:
> Centralised monitoring is needed for centralised management. Learn to
> scale management, then we can scale monitoring as well. As for sending
> a "digest" of metrics instead of raw metrics, this reduces the problem
> N times, N=number of metrics, not M times, M=number of monitored
> entities.

You're confusing management with monitoring. Monitoring is the
instrumentation of systems, which is easily distributable. Management
is the ability to take action (including alerting or response) based
on monitoring data. Monitoring is inherently distributable, but most
historical solutions bind management and monitoring together too
tightly.

Decentralizing management isn't that hard. It's mostly about
federating and focusing on applications, not datacenters. Datacenters
are a paradigm that is soon to be extinct.

Sassa NF

Aug 2, 2008, 3:24:46 AM8/2/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I can see this role, too, but if the guest OS is unaware of
virtualisation, there is no lock-in, is there?

(alright, subject to portability of the OS image that does not require
a "cold-reboot" of the image)

Sassa

Sassa NF

Aug 2, 2008, 3:50:13 AM8/2/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
I don't think I am confusing them :-) They started talking of
management, and later monitoring, because management without
monitoring won't work. Also, monitoring without management is a little
pointless, unless you want your boss to see the nice dials with the
metrics (for any particular reason).

I agree monitoring is scalable, but scaling that is not needed without
scaling management. Wouldn't it be like having a scalable "feed"
without a scalable "feed back"?

I think there are some management operations that don't scale. For
example, federation works, once it is there. But creating a federation
is not scalable, because you can only select the members one by one.
There will be many other bootstrapping functions that won't scale.

Sassa

William Newport

Aug 2, 2008, 10:44:53 AM8/2/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
The guest os is ALWAYS aware of virtualization because it installed to
a certain set of devices which may be different on a different virtual
machine on a different hypervisor.

It may be an indirect level of awareness but it's coupled and locked in.

Kristi Schultz

Aug 2, 2008, 10:55:47 AM8/2/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Randy Bias wrote on 08/01/2008 10:08:38 PM:

> [snip]

> Decentralizing management isn't that hard. It's mostly about
> federating and focusing on applications, not datacenters. Datacenters
> are a paradigm that is soon to be extinct.

I'd like to discuss this assertion some as I've had the same thought
cross my mind. I'm currently thinking that it's not that Datacenters
will become extinct, but our definition of what a datacenter is
will fundamentally change and become more distribute-able. I think
there will still be opportunity and advantages in providing the
infrastructure behind the cloud in some centralized areas -
probably where power and space is cheap. I also think there will
still be a need for investors in new technology within the
infrastructure and they'll want to have a place to 'put it'.

> --Randy
>
> Randy Bias, Founder, CloudScale
> (877) 636-8589, ran...@cloudscale.net
> blog: http://neotactics.com/blog

Kristi Schultz - Internet: kri...@us.ibm.com
STSM - Blue Cloud Ensemble Management
(507)253-2177 t/l 553-2177 Fax: (507)253-0424
----------------------------------
"Give the customer more than he expects."
"The more you laugh, the better things are."
[Butch Stewart]

Kristi Schultz

Aug 2, 2008, 11:02:57 AM8/2/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

Sassa NF wrote on 08/02/2008 02:50:13 AM:

> I don't think I am confusing them :-) They started talking of
> management, and later monitoring, because management without
> monitoring won't work. Also, monitoring without management is a little
> pointless, unless you want your boss to see the nice dials with the
> metrics (for any particular reason).
>
> I agree monitoring is scalable, but scaling that is not needed without
> scaling management. Wouldn't it be like having a scalable "feed"
> without a scalable "feed back"?
>
> I think there are some management operations that don't scale. For
> example, federation works, once it is there. But creating a federation
> is not scalable, because you can only select the members one by one.

Why do you make this assertion? There are a lot of ways to automatically
federate members based on any number of attributes.

> There will be many other bootstrapping functions that won't scale.

You can scale even the most trivial task using a hierarchy & delegation
model. That's how the human body works - that's how most complex
systems work... Management can be mapped to the same problem domain.

> Sassa

William Newport

Aug 2, 2008, 12:09:49 PM8/2/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Thats a great point, it's the data center thats getting virtualized
here.

Billy Newport

William Newport

Aug 2, 2008, 12:09:49 PM8/2/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Thats a great point, it's the data center thats getting virtualized
here.

On Aug 2, 2008, at 9:55 AM, Kristi Schultz wrote:

Billy Newport

Paul Renaud

Aug 2, 2008, 12:53:12 PM8/2/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Sassa. The measurements of real management situations that I
have done in my lab recently show that WS-Man is 25% lighter on the wire
than DCOM-based WMI and on average 8x more heavyweight than SNMP when used
for polling.

The incremental overhead on eventing is not meaningful since, by definition,
events are asynchronous and do not put a constant load on the network.
Event filtering should be used in subscriptions to limit the possibility of
massive event flows.

Since only an idiot would try to poll a million monitors per sec, or not use
event filters (it's not the job of the protocol to determine how people
choose to use it), the "overhead" argument against using WS-Man for
management just doesn't wash.

When you consider the advantages of having an extensible XML-based
management schema, the flexibility provided by WS-Man makes the case for it
particularly compelling.

The same "overhead" argument against XML was discounted when SOAP was
introduced for RPC over HTTP.

Aug 2, 2008, 1:00:00 PM8/2/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
RMON is a good analogy to RSS.  At the network layer RMON is often used as an aggregating proxy to effect a more efficient means of collecting lots of measurement info.

My point here is this does not have to be an either / or discussion when selecting protocols for management.

The main concern should be scalability - not on-the-wire packet efficiency.  It is possible to have a highly scalable architecture that uses inefficient messaging.  The WWW is one example of this.

Aug 2, 2008, 1:32:07 PM8/2/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
No I tried to say that being Restful doesn't matter as much as simple and
standard when it comes to management protocols.

Since real life is not as black and white as some purists would pretend, I
tried to double click on the design pattern for management to highlight what
aspects of it were consistent with REST and which were not.

I did this not to necessarily recommend REST, but to illustrate that an
assessment of useful protocols is not as trivial as sticking labels on them.

WS-Man is necessary because (a) it already contains what we need for
management of SaaS (b) is well accepted as a standard (c) is easy to
implement and (d) provides the fastest route to critical mass of adoption to
unlock commercial acceptance of SaaS as a mainstream infrastructure.

The history lesson of how SNMP enabled the world that we now enjoy as the
Internet is very relevant and important to the future of SaaS. It was only
when (nearly) everyone at that time decided to standardize a simple and
modest management interface while differentiating, competing, and innovating
on the service interface that the Internet really blossomed. Some
service-interface innovations were standardized and created a platform upon
which other layers of innovation were added. The whole concept of "open
architecture" flowed from those early days.

This did not happen around the competing protocols at the time. DecNet,
SNA, ISO Suite, etc. all had large ecosystems of third parties. But the
lack of effective management prevented these from gaining the critical mass
that we now take for granted as the Internet. These protocols all had
oodles of service capability (e.g. there were lots of superior features in
SNA that are absent in TCP/IP). But the management of DecNet was simple but
proprietary, ISO was complex but standard, and SNA was both complex and
proprietary. Only SNMP was simple and standard.

To quote Marshall Rose (the godfather of SNMP) "The impact of adding network
management to managed nodes must be minimal, reflecting a lowest common
denominator."

History will repeat itself. The question is will the current generation of
SaaS solutions die or flourish before an industry standard for managing them
emerges? History teaches us that they will die unless this industry rallies
quickly around a baseline management standard.

With a baseline management standard widely used, further innovation &
specialization will undoubtedly happen because the world is not black and
white. E.g. the use of RSS for eventing does not have to be seen as an
either/or solution any more than RMON was either/or to SNMP. But we must
rapidly agree on a simple and standard basis to build on.

Paul Renaud wrote on 08/02/2008 12:32:07 PM:

> No I tried to say that being Restful doesn't matter as much as simple and
> standard when it comes to management protocols.
>
> Since real life is not as black and white as some purists would pretend,
> tried to double click on the design pattern for management to highlight
what
> aspects of it were consistent with REST and which were not.
>
> I did this not to necessarily recommend REST, but to illustrate that an
> assessment of useful protocols is not as trivial as sticking labels on
them.

> WS-Man is necessary because (a) it already contains what we need for
> management of SaaS (b) is well accepted as a standard (c) is easy to
> implement and (d) provides the fastest route to critical mass of adoption
> unlock commercial acceptance of SaaS as a mainstream infrastructure.

Ok, let me try this. I am mildly familiar with WS-Man. More familiar with
WSDM. Neither do I find *easy* to understand nor implement. Not to say it
can't be done and not to say that someone who has invested the time to
learn
and understand them to that level can't do it - just that I haven't yet,
so there we are. On the other hand, I have read several articles about
REST.
Probably all inclusive is a couple hours worth of time invested. Now, I'm
making this up since I have no real experience doing this, but if I was
told today, with my current level of knowledge and understanding that a
particular cloud service, was now mine to
manage and it supported a RESTful web services interface, all I should
have to know is the URL to it's management service. Then I would know
that to get information about it, I'd do a HTTP GET requesting XML or
WADL/WSDL? That would tell me what GET/PUT/POST/DELETE URLs are
supported by the management service. The GETs are immutable requests
for information about the resources to manage. PUT/POST is used to
update (e.g. change state) or create new resources. DELETE is used
to remove resources. All resources are accessible via URL and there's
a logical hierarchy to them.

What is it that WS-Man provides over and above this? Maybe I'm being
ignorant or naive, but if so, please educate me.

William Newport

Aug 2, 2008, 12:11:32 PM8/2/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Agreed
We're doing the same things with WebSphere eXtreme Scale and WebSphere
Virtual Enterprise inside of IBM. The hierarchy works but I'm looking
at non hierarchial systems also with the appropriate trade offs.

Billy

Billy Newport

Paul Renaud

Aug 3, 2008, 10:29:25 AM8/3/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
<snip>

> I'd do a HTTP GET requesting XML or WADL/WSDL? That would tell me what
GET/PUT/POST/DELETE URLs are supported by the
> management service. The GETs are immutable requests for information about
the resources to manage. PUT/POST is used to
> update (e.g. change state) or create new resources. DELETE is used to
remove resources. All resources are accessible
>via URL and there's a logical hierarchy to them.
> What is it that WS-Man provides over and above this? Maybe I'm being
ignorant or naive, but if so, please educate me.

Ws-Man does basically what you just described above. That's the beauty of
it. It also makes judicious use of SOAP in the process so that you can
implement it on top of WS-aware web servers.

You are doing yourself a disservice by not reading up on WS-Man. Spend 15
minutes reading WS-Transfer and you'll see what I mean.

Sassa NF

Aug 3, 2008, 12:09:31 PM8/3/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
remove word "virtual" from your statement and you get an equally true
statement. VMWare has nothing to do with this, as the OS will think
the physical hardware got upgraded.

What I thought "awareness" was, is when OS knows it is not real
hardware, and does something special to cater for hardware being
virtual.

Sassa

Paul Renaud

Aug 3, 2008, 10:33:15 AM8/3/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Unless SaaS stands for Snake-oil as a Service, there are many reasons to
implement monitoring without management. For starters to prove that the SLA
claims of the SaaS application are substantiated to its customers.

I'd like to meet the customer IT manager that would not want to monitor your
SaaS service using a standard management interface to validate your SLAs.

Aug 3, 2008, 2:24:45 PM8/3/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to be able to build a set of virtual machines in a catalog
and deploy them on anybodies hypervisor. Once companies acquire other
companies then they will have collections of virtual machines that
need to be hosted on one hypervisor or another and having to reinstall
all the operating systems etc is something most would want to avoid.

Billy

Paul Renaud

Aug 3, 2008, 11:10:03 PM8/3/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Yes in a world where 64 Kbps was the top-end for network speed, low overhead on the wire was important.  That clearly is no longer the case and lowest overhead is not as important as extensibility.

What endures from the SNMP legacy is that simplicity and standards are a winning combination.

WS-Man is both simple and standard.  I can hand-code a WS-Man request if I need to (yes most of us will use tools to do the dirty work in practice).  That is a working definition of simplicity.

Aug 4, 2008, 1:15:11 AM8/4/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Isn't that what OVF is supposed to achieve?

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/learn/ovf.html

Sassa NF

Aug 4, 2008, 4:41:06 AM8/4/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
That does make some sense, because it is easier to manage homogenous
environments. But people don't reinstall the OSs just because "we only
run Linux here". Maybe that's for the same reason: the software
installed is locked-in into the OS (so you can't just wipe Windows out
and put Linux instead; there's a huge migration cost).

I get it. Once something has been provisioned, it is not commodity
anymore, as it acquired a purpose.

Sassa

Sassa NF

Aug 4, 2008, 5:25:03 AM8/4/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
2008/8/2 Kristi Schultz <kri...@us.ibm.com>:

> Sassa NF wrote on 08/02/2008 02:50:13 AM:
>
>> I don't think I am confusing them :-) They started talking of
>> management, and later monitoring, because management without
>> monitoring won't work. Also, monitoring without management is a little
>> pointless, unless you want your boss to see the nice dials with the
>> metrics (for any particular reason).
>>
>> I agree monitoring is scalable, but scaling that is not needed without
>> scaling management. Wouldn't it be like having a scalable "feed"
>> without a scalable "feed back"?
>>
>> I think there are some management operations that don't scale. For
>> example, federation works, once it is there. But creating a federation
>> is not scalable, because you can only select the members one by one.
>
> Why do you make this assertion? There are a lot of ways to automatically
> federate members based on any number of attributes.

That's right, but you need to give them the attributes first and you
can't do *that* in bulk.

>> There will be many other bootstrapping functions that won't scale.
>
> You can scale even the most trivial task using a hierarchy & delegation
> model. That's how the human body works - that's how most complex
> systems work... Management can be mapped to the same problem domain.

Show me how.

To make this a task that is simpler to visualise, you can explain how
you can create LDAP subtrees of arbitrary complexity in a scalable
way. Let's start with how you are going to name the entries. Naming
already implies some grouping. Then you can explain how you are going
to assign the attributes. It is pointless to assign attributes to all
the entries from a subtree, because otherwise the name of the entry is
equal in its meaning to the attribute that you want to assign. Since
at this stage there are no attributes apart from name, the selection
strategy is not attribute-based, and I cannot see how this task can
scale.

If you delegate the task, the delegates will only be able to build A
Tree, not The Tree (because the tree spec passed from above will have
to be coarse-grained for scalability reasons).

Say, the analogy with a body is good, but it is not fault tolerant: if
a nerve stops working, the body loses the muscle or sense. Management
entities are there to fix problems with "non-management" entities. But
there's nothing to fix problems with the management entities. If you
were to manage the hierarchy of management entities, you would need a
hierarchy of management entities. ;-)

The other point I was making is that the managed entities would either
be managed by a single manager (would you call that
scalable-available-fault-tolerant?), or multiple managers (how do you
build scalable security and conflict resolution here? under constraint
that you cannot use security services that require scalable resources,
because these resources need to be managed, too).

There are things that just *don't* scale. A "leader", for one, doesn't scale.

Sassa

Bob Lozano

Aug 4, 2008, 12:48:51 PM8/4/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Couple of thoughts on the issues raised in this thread:
  1. simplicity of use (the general shot against ws-*) will rule the day. If this thread is any sampling of what people are going to actually do, ws-man doesn't have too much of a future (in practice), and it's relative complexity will likely be it's doom.
  2. the only way mgt (and yes, monitoring as well) of entities at this scale will even be tractable is IF large pools are largely self-managing. It is simply inconceivable to even care about, much less actively manage individual servers.
In particular, each entity (we have called them fabrics - a self-organizing group of machines / VMs acting like one thing, in support of a group of apps) must be responsible for behaving correctly, on their own.

That way, outside management / monitoring can be reduced to setting new objectives. It'll be ok if the mgt services fail, since it's not actually needed for ensuring that the apps.

Bob Lozano
Appistry

Sassa NF

Aug 4, 2008, 5:37:01 AM8/4/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Oh come on! I can send any monitoring information to the customers ;-)

Sassa

Sassa NF

Aug 4, 2008, 2:35:09 PM8/4/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Then it is also not an imperative to use RSS/Atom/JSON ;-)
self-management can digest BER as easily.

I think scalability is still important, even in self-management world.
Just that in the case of self-management the human input is replaced
with a pattern recognition and an expert system. Say, if this
automated system makes a decision 1000 times faster, then it will
scale just 1000 times more, then stop.

Someone at some point will have to deal with individual servers. The
best scalable thing is when the server can take care of itself, but
sometimes you would still need to cater for or override something
manually, which won't scale.

Management doesn't scale well, that's why when the servers fail in a
shipping container, they are just shut down, and having reached a
critical mass the whole container is simply shipped back to the
manufacturer.

Sassa

2008/8/4 Bob Lozano <bobl...@gmail.com>:

> Couple of thoughts on the issues raised in this thread:
>
> simplicity of use (the general shot against ws-*) will rule the day. If this
> thread is any sampling of what people are going to actually do, ws-man
> doesn't have too much of a future (in practice), and it's relative
> complexity will likely be it's doom.
> the only way mgt (and yes, monitoring as well) of entities at this scale
> will even be tractable is IF large pools are largely self-managing. It is
> simply inconceivable to even care about, much less actively manage
> individual servers.
>
> In particular, each entity (we have called them fabrics - a self-organizing
> group of machines / VMs acting like one thing, in support of a group of
> apps) must be responsible for behaving correctly, on their own.
>
> That way, outside management / monitoring can be reduced to setting new
> objectives. It'll be ok if the mgt services fail, since it's not actually
> needed for ensuring that the apps.
>
> Bob Lozano
> Appistry

Bob Lozano

Aug 4, 2008, 3:19:42 PM8/4/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
I think scalability is still important, even in self-management world.
Just that in the case of self-management the human input is replaced
with a pattern recognition and an expert system. Say, if this
automated system makes a decision 1000 times faster, then it will
scale just 1000 times more, then stop.

Agreed, though I think there are two types of "self-mgt" that we can think of - one is intrinsically scalable, the other is takes a bit more work to make it so.

The first is where pools of machines do, in fact, take care of themselves and ensure that apps are reliably executed (despite individual server failure). If the management tasks are done swarm-style (as an aggregation of individual behaviors - including self-provisioning, organization, etc.) then the management of the whole can scale essentially arbitrarily ...

... PROVIDED that the failure of an individual machine does not impact any application.

A very high percentage of potential mgt tasks really can be done this way - that's what we've been doing with our application fabrics, for example. When you take this approach, then outside of physically racking and stacking the machines / shipping containers etc., the management task really is scalable.

Given this type of self-management, then the second case reduces to those management behaviors that cannot be built into case #1 (like physically stacking the machines, putting sticky notes that say "this is busted" ;-), stuff like that) or have not yet been built into case #1 (say a particular customer wants to inspect a machine in detail to look for potential security problems).

Of course, having the opportunity to figure out good ways to solve these cases is really a "high class problem" ;-)

Bob Lozano
Appistry

Alexis Richardson

Aug 4, 2008, 5:32:09 PM8/4/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 7:16 AM, Paul Renaud <ren...@lanigangroup.ca> wrote:
> Hi Alexis,
>
> I apologize for this long response, but much of the confusion around cloud
> protocol design flows from an inadequate separation of concerns about what
> the protocol should be designed to do in the first place. The first such
> separation is between the service itself and the management of that service.

No problem - sorry for my slow reply.

> Every network service should also have a separate and secure management
> interface that is used to manage that service.

> Regardless of how the management side of the application is organized or
> controlled, the accepted design pattern for the management interface is:
>
> 1. a simple schema describing the resources available for management (e.g.
> MIB in SNMP, WS-Addressing compatible XML schema in WS-Man). This maps well
> to the "give resources an ID" concept in REST.
>
> 2. a mandatory implementation of a synchronous polling mechanism (e.g. GET
> in SNMP and anonymous mode WS-Transfer in WS-Man) that enables the retrieval
> of the attributes of a single resource within that schema. This also maps
> well into the REST pattern of getting the attributes of a URI. The
> implementation that responds to the poll may or may not be stateless.
>
> 3. optional implementation of an asynchronous eventing mechanism (e.g. Trap
> in SNMP and WS-Eventing sink in WS-Man) based on a simple subscription about
> the status change on a resource. A subscription is necessary so that a
> destination can be supplied for these events. Asynchronous eventing is
> optional because although the same management purpose can be accomplished
> with synchronous polling, it is far less stress on the network to use
> eventing. Asynchronous eventing is non-RESTful.
>
> 4. the interface itself must be secure (SNMP has less than ideal community
> strings and in v3 user/name password, while WS-Man uses certs). Security is
> not prescribed by the REST pattern.
>
> 5. optional implementation of lifecycle management for the managed resource
> (create, update, delete) subject to the authorization control provided by
> the security of the management interface (e.g. SET in SNMP,
> Create/Put/Delete in WS-Man).

Are all the above resources 'available for management' and accessible
in a uniform way, or are those methods in fact accessing different
sets of resources that are almost-the-same-but-not-quite? Sorry if
this is a stupid question.

> Some folk incorrectly argue that lifecycle
> management via CRUD-like operations is non-RESTful but HTTP GET, POST, & PUT
> are clearly CRUD-style verbs! (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_State_Transfer)

In which case, why is navigating the HTTP based web different from
interacting with a database using SQL?

> It really doesn't matter whether a management protocol is Restful or not -
> the most important thing is that it is both simple & standard so that it
> will be widely implemented by both service providers and a wide variety of
> management applications. Simplicity gets lost when people confuse the
> separation between the service itself and management of the service.

+1

> The separation between service and management exists at the network
> application layer too. For example, your website is a network application
> that responds to HTTP requests (service interface), but standing up a new
> website is not usually performed by that same interface. To create a new
> website you would define a management interface with different semantics to
> register your website and to PUT the new webpages onto your website. If you
> were cunning you might even use HTTP as the transport mechanism for such an
> interface. Just because the interfaces are different doesn't mean that the
> protocol cannot be shared, but caution must be used when defining a
> management protocol based on re-using other protocols.

That sounds worth exploring in more detail if you wish to demonstrate
how to be RESTful, at least with HTTP.

> Defining a strict subset within WS-Man would greatly simplify the situation,
> promote adoption, and not break existing implementations.
>
> A first cut at a minimalist subset of WS-Man would be:
>
> 1. WS-Transfer with only anonymous Reply-To in response/actions (maps to GET
> and PUT in SNMP),
> 2. WS-Enumerate (maps to GET Next and GET Bulk in SNMP) without filtering,
> without expiry, without max time or length, and without Get Status.
> 3. WS-Addressing as is.
> 4. Optional WS-Eventing (maps to SNMP Trap) without Subscription End (not
> reliable anyway)
> 5. WS-Security with only X509 signed tokens (possibly with only a single
> encryption method)

Paul, I have to say Thank-you for providing a first stab. But, ..
forgive me, is the above really simple? Would it be better to set out
a RESTful approach from first principles and then relate it to
existing management systems to show how it worked. Again apologies if
this is ass backwards...

Cheers,

alexis

Sam Johnston

Aug 4, 2008, 6:18:10 PM8/4/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:10 AM, Paul Renaud <ren...@lanigangroup.ca> wrote:

WS-Man is both simple and standard.  I can hand-code a WS-Man request if I need to (yes most of us will use tools to do the dirty work in practice).  That is a working definition of simplicity.

As someone who has been actively dealing with monitoring and management for a good while now (I recently launched an 'uptime' tool called TrustSaaS too) I have found this thread to be quite interesting. That said, while overhauling the cloud computing article at Wikipedia I came across this comment on the talk page from back in May:

Grid had got bogged down in implementation details, with a lot of focus on standardisation of WS-* based APIs for talking to stuff. Cloud Computing steps back from the details by ignoring them and avoiding the standardisation process. However, I'm not sure about 'subclass'. If you use google mail to keep your inbox, you've moved from a LAN-hosted mail server to the cloud; Now certainly in a utility computing world you could host your stuff 'on a grid', but the main focus for grid work since about 2001 onwards has been batch data processing and computation, with a focus on scientific/engineering apps rather than interactivity. It's Grid Computing that has painted itself into a corner. SteveLoughran (talk) 12:12, 22 May 2008 (UTC)

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but given I have been busy building solutions on EC2 et al without having to spare a thought for management and monitoring (at least not to this level of detail) I think it's important to bear in mind that one of the key features of cloud computing is that it hides this kind of complexity from the user,

Anyway, as you were... I just wanted you to be aware of this interesting viewpoint.

Cheers,

Sam

Paul Renaud

Aug 5, 2008, 11:17:53 AM8/5/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Any provider of a service gets to decide what managed objects & attributes
to expose. Generally, the more that is exposed the more "friendly" that
vendor is perceived by their customers.

Your choice of REST as a starting point for deciding how to approach mgmt of
SaaS is problematic. The starting point should be first deciding what
management capability you wish to have your customers to have and then
choosing a standard way to provide it. It is more important for a public
management interface to be standard, than it is to be RESTful.

The reason why standards are so important is so that your interface will be
consumable by the maximum number of customers possible. Proprietary
interfaces, even elegant ones, are not attractive.

> Are all the above resources 'available for management' and accessible in a
uniform way, or are those methods in fact accessing different sets of
resources that are almost-the-same-but-not-quite? Sorry if this is a
stupid question.

<snip>

Paul Renaud

Aug 5, 2008, 10:59:43 AM8/5/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
What makes you think they would want to process your proprietary data format
for monitoring?

My point is that SaaS needs management interface standards for use by
customers.

Alexis Richardson

Aug 5, 2008, 11:29:19 AM8/5/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Paul

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Paul Renaud <ren...@lanigangroup.ca> wrote:

> Your choice of REST as a starting point for deciding how to approach mgmt of
> SaaS is problematic.

I did not suggest that. I suggested that it might be easier to
articulate your verbs more RESTfully and then relate them to those you
listed in your WS-Man subset.

> The starting point should be first deciding what
> management capability you wish to have your customers to have and then
> choosing a standard way to provide it. It is more important for a public
> management interface to be standard, than it is to be RESTful.

This is not an 'either or' choice.

You are the one who suggested this could all be RESTful. I am trying
to be a helpful interlocutor :-)

alexis

Paul Renaud

Aug 5, 2008, 11:33:46 AM8/5/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
There seems to be general confusion between the entire WS-* suite of protocols (which are numerous) and the handful that are actually used in WS-Man.

It is a mistake to read WS-Man and assume that the entire WS-* set apply.  WS-Man requires only WS-Addressing, WS-Transfer, WS-Security (with optional WS-Policy & WS-Trust), WS-Enumerate.  The equivalent functionality to SNMP can be created via a subset of these (principally WS-Addressing, WS-Transfer, WS-Enumerate).

Without standards, the Cloud will not be a cloud but an archipelago of networked and non-interoperable islands of computation & storage.   Kind-of like the Caribbean.

Aug 5, 2008, 12:41:13 PM8/5/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
By that statement "Proprietary interfaces, even elegant ones, are not attractive" GAE. EC2 and S3 are unattractive, which seems to run contrary to experience ...
--
Jim Peters
+415-608-0851

Cameron

Aug 5, 2008, 1:03:23 PM8/5/08
to Cloud Computing
Sam -

> If you use google mail to keep your inbox, you've moved from a
> LAN-hosted mail server to **the cloud

Um, no. Google runs their mail on the same type of network that every
other major company uses for their email servers, and as far as free
hosting of email with a web UI, they were about 10-15 years late to
the game. The only thing that they introduced was a kick-a** AJAX UI
with a lot more free storage behind it.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy | Oracle
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/coherence/index.html

On Aug 4, 6:18 pm, "Sam Johnston" <s...@samj.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:10 AM, Paul Renaud <ren...@lanigangroup.ca> wrote:
> > WS-Man is both simple and standard. I can hand-code a WS-Man request if
> > I need to (yes most of us will use tools to do the dirty work in practice).
> > That is a working definition of simplicity.
>
> As someone who has been actively dealing with monitoring and management for
> a good while now (I recently launched an 'uptime' tool called
> TrustSaaS<http://trustsaas.com/>too) I have found this thread to be
> quite interesting. That said, while
> overhauling the cloud
> computing<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing>article at
> Wikipedia I came across this comment on the talk
> page <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Cloud_computing#Similar_Meanings>from
> back in May:
>
> *Grid had got bogged down in implementation details, with a lot of focus on
> standardisation of WS-* based APIs for talking to stuff. Cloud Computing
> steps back from the details by ignoring them and avoiding the
> standardisation process. However, I'm not sure about 'subclass'. If you use
> google mail to keep your inbox, you've moved from a LAN-hosted mail server
> to **the cloud; Now certainly in a utility computing world you could host
> your stuff 'on a grid', but the main focus for grid work since about 2001
> onwards has been batch data processing and computation, with a focus on
> scientific/engineering apps rather than interactivity. It's **Grid Computing
> that has painted itself into a corner.
> SteveLoughran<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SteveLoughran>(
> talk <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:SteveLoughran>) 12:12, 22 May
> 2008 (UTC)*

Cameron

Aug 5, 2008, 12:55:23 PM8/5/08
to Cloud Computing
Centralized monitoring and centralized management both fail as the
number of machines increase.

As responsibilities, both monitoring and management will be spread out
across the resources, and the overwhelming majority (near 100%) of
decisions will be made in a decentralized manner.

Any other approach is destined to ultimately fail under its own
weight. The only "centralized" aspect is the goal (or set of goals)
itself that the system as a whole will work towards.
On Aug 1, 8:51 am, "Sassa NF" <sassa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Centralised monitoring is needed for centralised management. Learn to
> scale management, then we can scale monitoring as well. As for sending
> a "digest" of metrics instead of raw metrics, this reduces the problem
> N times, N=number of metrics, not M times, M=number of monitored
> entities.
>
> Sassa
>
> 2008/8/1 Randy Bias <ran...@cloudscale.net>:
>

> > At the risk of being controversial, XML, SOAP, *and* SNMP are all
> > terrible solutions.
>
> > Having seen a lot of real world solutions I can tell you that your
> > average Ops person has no desire to read or write XML. SOAP, in this
> > regard, is just another nasty layer on top of it. Tooling only goes
> > so far to resolve this issue. In many real world situations, the
> > dominant monitoring and management tools aren't SNMP-based either.
> > Take Nagios for example. It's a widely deployed open source tool with
> > a large number of native plugins, most of which do not use SNMP. As
> > far as I can tell, SNMP has significant traction only in terms of
> > network management and monitoring. In terms of systems? Not so
> > much. Perhaps in commercial land, but no in open source land.
>
> > We need new data packaging standards that are user-friendly (JSON or
> > YAML anyone?) and I, for one, think the centralized monitoring
> > paradigm is fundamentally broken. If the machine is up and
> > operational it should monitor itself and the app that runs on it. It
> > should regularly report back it's status and that of the app. If it's
> > down, someone should be fixing it. Nothing else scales and nothing
> > else is as cloud friendly. It's really a distributed computing
> > problem at the end of the day.
>
> > --Randy
>
> > Randy Bias, Founder, CloudScale
> > (877) 636-8589, ran...@cloudscale.net
> > blog:http://neotactics.com/blog

Sassa NF

Aug 5, 2008, 3:47:55 PM8/5/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
2008/8/5 Cameron <camero...@gmail.com>:

> Centralized monitoring and centralized management both fail as the
> number of machines increase.
>
> As responsibilities, both monitoring and management will be spread out
> across the resources, and the overwhelming majority (near 100%) of
> decisions will be made in a decentralized manner.

Yep, but some non-zero amount of management is centralized and won't scale.

> Any other approach is destined to ultimately fail under its own
> weight. The only "centralized" aspect is the goal (or set of goals)
> itself that the system as a whole will work towards.

Hmm... That's probably the confusing bit, that's why it is both
centralised and decentralised.

I meant that it is centralised in the same way as a general monitors
and manages the whole army, and the whole army obeys his orders.
However, his monitoring and decision capabilities *don't* scale; he
can monitor and manage only a small subset of managers, say, colonels.

Now, the system below the general *doesn't* scale, because it cannot
exceed a certain number of colonels, lieutenants, sergeants and
privates. To grow the system further, you need to change its structure
and functionality; say, now the general does not make the decisions
anymore, he obeys and interprets the orders of chief of staff, and the
orders now include requirement to cooperate with the entities outside
the tree under the general (what does this mean on a scale of NATO?).
These changes propagate through the whole tree; say, now every officer
and soldier needs to recognize the soldiers from under the other
generals and be able to interpret the orders they've been given to
build a new strategy to optimally achieve the goals of both. It isn't
a language barrier. It is a problem of the infantry everywhere with
appearance of the airforce. It operates in a completely new way, so it
is hard to tell what you need to do as an individual to enable
efficient operation of that unit.

This problem isn't unique. When a new department is formed, it is
always hard to determine what you *have* to do and what you ought to
double-check with the manager first. Haven't you experienced this?
There will be confusion until a policy is worked out at every level
where integration is required; the larger the new dept (the larger the
new set of functionality), the harder it is to achieve.

Basically, you can still apply the same technique to solve the
management problem when the number of entities changes, i.e. organize
the entities in a new hierarchy, but this only proves scalability of
the technique, and not necessarily scalability of the management
structure alone.

Regards,

Sassa

Bob Lozano

Aug 5, 2008, 4:34:59 PM8/5/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Sassa-
The military example is actually pretty germane, with some key differences.

The centralized level must be limited to setting broad objectives and measuring aggregated performance. It's ok to allow selective individual investigation, but that cannot be necessary for proper functioning of the cloud (it obviously won't scale).

Individual members need to figure out what part of the ongoing objectives (the workload) is their own, and be able to follow some simple rules to organize into functional groups to achieve those objectives.

Those functional groups are, by necessity fluid (in both size and membership) and are governed by the (identical) rules of the individual members. The size will tend to be limited by communication, which in itself will be largely related to the task the particular group has volunteered to do.

In a certain sense this is more akin to the US-style of military command and control (particularly in places like the marines and special forces etc., with operational groups having wide attitude in choosing how to achieve their objectives, always operating within a defined set of behavioral rules). The analogy is not perfect, but it is relevant.

That is, more or less, how an app that has been cloud-enabled with an "application fabric" layer like our stuff works in practice. Objectives are set at the top, groups are organized and work done from the bottom up.

That's pretty much the same general ideas that Cameron was referring to in his comments, I believe.

Sassa NF

Aug 5, 2008, 5:53:04 PM8/5/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
2008/8/5 Bob Lozano <bobl...@gmail.com>:

> Sassa-
> The military example is actually pretty germane, with some key differences.
>
> The centralized level must be limited to setting broad objectives and
> measuring aggregated performance. It's ok to allow selective individual
> investigation, but that cannot be necessary for proper functioning of the
> cloud (it obviously won't scale).
>
> Individual members need to figure out what part of the ongoing objectives
> (the workload) is their own, and be able to follow some simple rules to
> organize into functional groups to achieve those objectives.
>
> Those functional groups are, by necessity fluid (in both size and
> membership) and are governed by the (identical) rules of the individual
> members. The size will tend to be limited by communication, which in itself
> will be largely related to the task the particular group has volunteered to
> do.

Just as you said (my emphasis): the rules are *identical*. Managing
homogenous distributed system is a piece of cake and can easily scale.
Is this always the case in a cloud? It wasn't so in the grids (if they
are any different).

> In a certain sense this is more akin to the US-style of military command and
> control (particularly in places like the marines and special forces etc.,
> with operational groups having wide attitude in choosing how to achieve
> their objectives, always operating within a defined set of behavioral
> rules). The analogy is not perfect, but it is relevant.

Now, you talking on the level of a group of commandos. However, what
it really is, is an objective set out on a strategic level. A general
orders invasion of an island and an outline of action (throw an army 4
times the resistance force). Now, every branch of command devises what
this means. Someone agrees airsupport of 20 F19s and 2 B-52s, another
one provides an aircraft carrier, someone else organises troop
training for a sufficient number of units, someone else needs to
provide catering and healthcare. Then a general devises a plan how
this all will work together and sends an order down the chain of
command, which results in a set of tactical missions devised at the
lower levels and debriefing for each squadron of their particular
task. Then each unit coordinates their activity using a variety of
communication strategies.

OK, in a computer world this will read something like "I want to
deploy this app here", which breaks down into providing shared file
space, CPUs and bandwidth. Someone needs to plan and resolve security
implications from passwords to firewalls, someone needs to plan
routing and location, someone needs to provide messaging. I don't
think I need to enumerate all of the systems involved. Whilst each
individual piece of the puzzle scales, the management problem will be
in orchestrating the solutions to these puzzles, and I am not
convinced this can be easily shown to scale in a heterogenous
environment (i.e. multi-purpose multi-tenant multi-app distributed
system).

I respect your opinion and I agree there are solutions for parts of
the puzzle or subset of the problem.

Sassa

> That is, more or less, how an app that has been cloud-enabled with an
> "application fabric" layer like our stuff works in practice. Objectives are
> set at the top, groups are organized and work done from the bottom up.
>
> That's pretty much the same general ideas that Cameron was referring to in
> his comments, I believe.

Paul Renaud

Aug 6, 2008, 1:14:06 AM8/6/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Hierarchical management systems have been proven to scale well. DNS is a
classic example. Your telephone numbering plan is another.

Even a 2-tier management hierarchy can scale to significant size if the
management mechanisms are well thought through. For example, Platform
Computing's ActiveCluster was used successfully in 2001 to create a virtual
production grid of over 120,000 computers using a 2-tier management
hierarchy.

Highly decentralized decision making tend to result in local optimizations
at the expense of a better global solution. Depending on the application,
this can be tolerable, but it is hardly the case that decentralized systems
are always better than centralized systems.

Centralized vs decentralized is a religious issue that will find as many
facts supporting both sides.

Aug 6, 2008, 1:34:57 AM8/6/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

Alexis,

You are correct that it doesn't have to be an either/or choice. There are
many aspects of most management protocols which can be found to be RESTful.
Perhaps a RESTful assessment of WS-Man might be a good exercise for anyone
who would like to understand it better.

Most technical folk can read the entire collection of WS-Man standards in
under an hour. When I first read them I was struck by the relative
simplicity of the standards selected to be parts of the WS-Management suite.
And although I personally do not care necessarily to ride on the REST
bandwagon, I suspect that those that do will find many examples of REST at
work in those standards.

For example, using WS-Addressing, all attributes on a managed object are
described as resources accessible via a URI. And using WS-Transfer, you can
GET them to examine their values.

My main point however, is that we should be less concerned about whether the
protocol is RESTful and more concerned about ensuring that all cloud
services provide it. Otherwise, the cloud will be more of a fog that few
customers will find their way thru to use.

Cheers, paul

Aug 6, 2008, 2:51:53 AM8/6/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
2008/8/6 Paul Renaud <ren...@lanigangroup.ca>:

> Hierarchical management systems have been proven to scale well. DNS is a
> classic example. Your telephone numbering plan is another.

These are homogenous systems. A solution at any level of a DNS
hierarchy does not differ from another. I am not sure if it is
management, too.

However, managing 50K workforce and a 5 people unit are completely
different tasks in terms of the scope of monitoring and the kind of
decisions you have to make. It is not just 10K times more lines of
code that can be uniformly split between all software development
units in the hierarchy.

> Even a 2-tier management hierarchy can scale to significant size if the
> management mechanisms are well thought through. For example, Platform
> Computing's ActiveCluster was used successfully in 2001 to create a virtual
> production grid of over 120,000 computers using a 2-tier management
> hierarchy.

Cool. This proves it scales to 120K entities, but doesn't prove
arbitrary scaling for arbitrary purpose.

Sassa

Hall, Jacob

Aug 6, 2008, 2:05:31 AM8/6/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

* Good to hear from you Paul.

Below are a few thoughts (keep in mind it's 2:00 AM where I am now)...

Everything we need to know about cloud computing can be discovered by
looking at the behavior of real clouds and weather.

There will be high clouds, low clouds, and in the short term for some no
clouds at all (a sunny day). When the clouds are visible they will be
of varying shapes, sizes, and will change as often as the wind blows.
Clouds will come and clouds will go. At the end of the day, the only
thing that will matter is if the clouds efficiently did their job while
they were around.

So here's what I predict... We'll soon see all the cloud vendors talk
about delivering their Cloud Foundations into Fortune 500 data centers.
The cloud services will be delivered as appliances (likely virtual) and
will offer integration and simple low cost of change transition to
remote hardware in the cloud vendors virtualized everything energy
efficient data centers. Grid, fabric, and managed services we've built
are a lot like "cloud services" so I would anticipate the leading cloud
vendors to begin picking up grid / fabric software providers, so they
can buy teams and show revenue while they mature their hosted versions.

Now the only question left is... who will build the magic carpet to
transcend all the clouds?

Regards,
Jake

Ross Cooney

Aug 6, 2008, 9:08:59 AM8/6/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Jacob,

> Everything we need to know about cloud computing can be discovered by
> looking at the behavior of real clouds and weather.

Interesting analogy.

> Now the only question left is... who will build the magic carpet to
> transcend all the clouds?

There is a vast eco-system of consultants and applications building up
large skill sets to help companies use the various cloud providers. I
am thinking of companies such as Rightscale and Arjuna here. While I
dont know of a product or service that allows you to swap and change
between them I am sure that one will appear soon.

I wrote a blog post close to this topic a few weeks ago:
http://www.spoutingshite.com/2008/06/30/the-aws-ecosystembarrier-to-innovation/

Ross Cooney
www.emailcloud.com

Paul Renaud

Aug 6, 2008, 11:19:55 AM8/6/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Attractive to whom?  S3 is simple and elegant but is not attractive to the mass of installed solutions because they chose not to (yet) support a more standard file system or SQL-style interface to it.  Imagine how popular the service would be if they did.

Similarly EC2 desperately needs a WS-Man compatible management interface.

Aug 6, 2008, 11:32:38 AM8/6/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Paul-
I do agree with the need for some sort of standardized reporting interface, but have serious misgivings that WS-MAN (with the WS-* baggage of complexity that it cannot ever shake) will ever get enough of a take-up rate to matter.

I realize that you are convinced otherwise regarding WS-MAN - perhaps you are right and many people will suddenly realize just how easy it is. However, I think the lessons of history (as in TCP vs. OSI, Xanadu vs. HTTP, etc.) tend to favor the easier to adopt over the theoretically correct.

Only time will tell on this one, and I for one will use whatever gains market acceptance.

Bob
--
Bob Lozano

Appistry
www.appistry.com/blogs/bob (professional blog)
hopeitis.com (personal blog)

Bob Lozano

Aug 6, 2008, 11:44:19 AM8/6/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
No doubt said magic carpet will be virtual ...

On a serious note, I do think the the step towards the management of private clouds (within an enterprise) is definitely an evolutionary one, particularly for those organizations that have already been aggressive about virtualization and perhaps, to some degree, a sense of commoditization.

In those cases the top initiatives to become more cloud-like internally will probably involve
  • standardization on a much smaller number of vm types
  • more aggressive move towards commoditization of HW - both computation and storage
  • Programmatic & web interfaces for automatically provisioning and releasing infrastructure
  • VM Orchestration / Placement Engine - to dynamically allocate work either in a private or public cloud, as needed.
These first initiatives are a natural evolution. Now comes the parts that I think may be a bigger step for many organizations:
  • cloud-enablement frameworks that provide the bridge between the "blank pool of resources" provided by the earlier stuff, and the more app-oriented layers below. This will make it easier to write cloud-native facilities and apps that intrinsically are enterprise-grade (i.e. reliable, scale arbitrarily, managable, secure, etc.)
  • standard cloud-native application frameworks that use above and scale as needed. This would include stuff like cloud-native web tiers; Hadoop, GridBatch, and any other framework that enables a class of applications to maintain data orthogonality as they scale; and so forth. These are an extension of the generic cloud-enablement frameworks (above) into specific app domains.
  • actual apps that have been cloud-enabled, either using one of the previous frameworks or something similar, or (as will always be the case in anything this new) in a more hand-crafted manner.
bonus round:
  • enterprise-wide storage services, provisionable as above that include reliable, raw objects (S3 like, perhaps with an optional file system interface), BigTable / SimpleDB - like facility, and instantiatable SQL instances of your choosing.
All but the "cloud storage services" are, in the end, perhaps the most crucial to gain what's actually possible. When done well, they will enable the apps to comfortably execute in a private cloud, a public cloud, or whatever mix makes sense at that moment. I think the "cloud storage services" will be a later step for many orgs, but I could easily be wrong on this.

Remember I'm proposing a path towards creation of private clouds, and in particular cloud-enabled apps that can make use of either public or private clouds. I think if an org continues down the evolutionary path (top bullets), and begins to cloud-enable apps (middle bullets) using either public clouds or their current commodity-ish infrastructure (if they have any), they'll be moving down the right path.

Bob

Stuart Charlton

Aug 6, 2008, 7:19:37 PM8/6/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

On 5-Aug-08, at 10:34 PM, Paul Renaud wrote:

> For example, using WS-Addressing, all attributes on a managed object
> are
> described as resources accessible via a URI. And using WS-Transfer,
> you can
> GET them to examine their values.
>
> My main point however, is that we should be less concerned about
> whether the
> protocol is RESTful and more concerned about ensuring that all cloud
> services provide it. Otherwise, the cloud will be more of a fog
> that few
> customers will find their way thru to use.

Why should we not be concerned about this?

You're basically saying that 'architecture doesn't matter, just pick
something', which if the past few years are any indication, is the
road to ruin.

Cheers
Stu

Stuart Charlton

Aug 6, 2008, 7:31:03 PM8/6/08
to cloud-c...@googlegroups.com

What "mass of installed solutions" is larger than those that speak HTTP?   S3 doesn't have any problems with popularity ;-)

I'm also pretty sure there's little interest in a WS-Man interface to EC2.

There needs to be innovation in this space; that means proprietary approaches in the short run (which hasn't stopped adoption of Amazon's services, Google's App Engine, etc.).

Cheers
Stu
It is loading more messages.