[ANN] Release Candidate 8 of new version of CCW

Laurent PETIT

Feb 17, 2011, 3:21:16 PM2/17/11
to counterclockwise, clojuredev-users
Hello, new Release Candidate,
  * Fixes some instability problems (UI Freeze) + some bugs
  * Full release note: http://code.google.com/p/counterclockwise/wiki/ReleaseNotes#Version_0.2.0.RC08

Update site as always: http://updatesite.counterclockwise.googlecode.com/hg/

How to install ?
  * if you already installed some 0.2.0 release candidate, then you just need to leverage Eclipse Software Update ( Help > Check for Updates ...)
  * If you have 0.0.64 currently installed, you first need to uninstall it ( Help > About Eclipse > Installation Detail > [select Counterclockwise] > Clic Uninstall )
  * then you install the RC, which is installable from the same update site, but named differently: It's in the "Release Candidate" category, name "Counterclockwise .. REPL UI branch"

Cheers,

--
Laurent

ataggart

Mar 24, 2011, 3:27:29 AM3/24/11
to counterclockwise
This is my first time using the RCs, but here's is what I've
encountered:

The key binding for "Evaluate current selection or Top Level S-
Expression" defaults to cmd+enter on macs (good). While that works in
the editor, the repl will only work with ctrl+enter.

It's not clear to me how one should correctly start the repl.
Previously I would Run As > Clojure application, and the current
file's ns would be the *ns*. Now when I do that:
1. There's no indication of what the current ns is
2. Calling *ns* reveals I'm in the user ns
3. When I click "Switch REPL to File's Namespace" neither the
nsamespace's functions, nor clojure.core functions are available.
4. When I then run "Load file in REPL" things seem to work.

The "Navigate to definition" feature doesn't work if the definition is
in the same file (clojure/core.clj is very long, it'd be nice to just
click around).

Fully undoing all changes to a file doesn't remove the modified
indicator asterisk, and warns on trying to close it without saving
(this doesn't happen with other editors in eclipse).

Large files are very slow to edit (e.g., clojure/core.clj).

On Feb 17, 1:21 pm, Laurent PETIT <laurent.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, new Release Candidate,
>   * Fixes some instability problems (UI Freeze) + some bugs
>   * Full release note:http://code.google.com/p/counterclockwise/wiki/ReleaseNotes#Version_0...

Laurent PETIT

Mar 24, 2011, 5:27:37 AM3/24/11
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, ataggart
Hi, thanks for the feedback ! I'll answer inline

2011/3/24 ataggart <alexcloj...@gmail.com>

This is my first time using the RCs, but here's is what I've
encountered:

The key binding for "Evaluate current selection or Top Level S-
Expression" defaults to cmd+enter on macs (good). While that works in
the editor, the repl will only work with ctrl+enter.

It's not clear to me how one should correctly start the repl.
Previously I would Run As > Clojure application, and the current
file's ns would be the *ns*.  Now when I do that:
1. There's no indication of what the current ns is
2. Calling *ns* reveals I'm in the user ns
3. When I click "Switch REPL to File's Namespace" neither the
nsamespace's functions, nor clojure.core functions are available.
4. When I then run "Load file in REPL" things seem to work.

It's a regression. I've filed a bug you can follow :
http://code.google.com/p/counterclockwise/issues/detail?id=239

The "Navigate to definition" feature doesn't work if the definition is
in the same file (clojure/core.clj is very long, it'd be nice to just
click around).

I'm not seeing this behaviour for all files (works for the files inside my project).
But granted, I can see it does not work e.g. for clojure.jar files, so ...

... filed a bug for this here: http://code.google.com/p/counterclockwise/issues/detail?id=241

Fully undoing all changes to a file doesn't remove the modified
indicator asterisk, and warns on trying to close it without saving
(this doesn't happen with other editors in eclipse).

Now that you're saying it ... indeed ... => filed here: http://code.google.com/p/counterclockwise/issues/detail?id=242

Large files are very slow to edit (e.g., clojure/core.clj).

This one too was known before 0.2.0 branch, and is currently stopped waiting for some third party lib progress ... but I do not loose hope !

Overall, thanks again for all this feedback !

Cheers,

--
Laurent

laurent.petit

Mar 24, 2011, 10:01:33 AM3/24/11
to counterclockwise
Hi Alex,

which version of RC are you running ?

Because the way things are currently configured for the "Evaluate
current selection or Top Level S-Expression" command, it seems to me
(but I cannot verify since I do not have a Mac) that it is correctly
bound to Cmd+Enter ... that's weird ...

Laurent PETIT

Mar 24, 2011, 10:41:12 AM3/24/11
to counterclockwise
2011/3/24 laurent.petit <lauren...@gmail.com>

Hi Alex,

which version of RC are you running ?

Because the way things are currently configured for the "Evaluate
current selection or Top Level S-Expression" command, it seems to me
(but I cannot verify since I do not have a Mac) that it is correctly
bound to Cmd+Enter ... that's weird ...

Nevermind, I've understood what's happening, I understand now why it is still happening in RC08.

adrians

Mar 24, 2011, 5:30:44 PM3/24/11
to counterclockwise
I'm not sure if this is a problem with counterclockwise, but
installing rc8 breaks the command completion (ctrl+space) in the
Spring Roo (http://www.springsource.org/roo) shell in the Spring Tool
Suite (http://www.springsource.com/downloads/sts?sid=1034618). I'll
try posting in the Spring forums too to see if it's something that's
broken on their side.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Feb 17, 4:21 pm, Laurent PETIT <laurent.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, new Release Candidate,
>   * Fixes some instability problems (UI Freeze) + some bugs
>   * Full release note:http://code.google.com/p/counterclockwise/wiki/ReleaseNotes#Version_0...

Laurent PETIT

Mar 25, 2011, 1:03:16 PM3/25/11
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, adrians
2011/3/24 adrians <nma...@gmail.com>

I'm not sure if this is a problem with counterclockwise, but
installing rc8 breaks the command completion (ctrl+space) in the
Spring Roo (http://www.springsource.org/roo) shell in the Spring Tool
Suite (http://www.springsource.com/downloads/sts?sid=1034618). I'll
try posting in the Spring forums too to see if it's something that's
broken on their side.

Weird.

Keep us informed if you have more info on this !

adrians

Mar 25, 2011, 3:01:01 PM3/25/11
to counterclockwise
The post in the STS forum is http://forum.springsource.org/showthread.php?p=353400#post353400.
BTW, I tried RC09 and the problem still exists. Another minor issue
that I see is that there seem to be some shortcut handler conflicts
for run and debug. The logged messages are:

!MESSAGE A handler conflict occurred. This may disable some commands.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui.workbench 2 0 2011-03-25 14:34:03.309
!MESSAGE Conflict for 'ccw.launching.clojureShortcut.run':
HandlerActivation(commandId=ccw.launching.clojureShortcut.run,

handler=org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchShortcutExtension
$LaunchCommandHandler@5d172aa6,
expression=,sourcePriority=0)
HandlerActivation(commandId=ccw.launching.clojureShortcut.run,

handler=org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchShortcutExtension
$LaunchCommandHandler@1bf12809,
expression=,sourcePriority=0)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.workbench 2 0 2011-03-25 14:34:03.354
!MESSAGE A handler conflict occurred. This may disable some commands.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui.workbench 2 0 2011-03-25 14:34:03.354
!MESSAGE Conflict for 'ccw.launching.clojureShortcut.debug':
HandlerActivation(commandId=ccw.launching.clojureShortcut.debug,

handler=org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchShortcutExtension
$LaunchCommandHandler@4715c34e,
expression=,sourcePriority=0)
HandlerActivation(commandId=ccw.launching.clojureShortcut.debug,

handler=org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchShortcutExtension
$LaunchCommandHandler@65c95a57,
expression=,sourcePriority=0)

Cheers