Shameless self promotion - JavaOne

Dennis

Sep 27, 2011, 11:50:52 AM9/27/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

I will be giving a talk at JavaOne (it is Clojure related). Here is
the information.

Title: Monitoring a Large-Scale Infrastructure with Clojure
Time Tuesday, 07:30 PM, Parc 55 - Embarcadero
Length 45 Minutes
Abstract: Monitoring a large infrastructure brings unique challenges
that require blending development and operations concepts. This
session discusses how Dell Inc. used Clojure to develop a
data-flow-based monitoring system that stores, evaluates, and acts on
hundreds of thousands of metrics.

It covers
• Real-world applications of Clojure's parallel programming constructs
to take advantage of multiple cores available in today's systems
• Using Clojure's homoiconic nature to create DSLs
• Taking advantage of Clojure running on the JVM to use the Java ecosystem
• How DevOps takes advantage of the JVM dynamic languages to develop
new monitoring tools
Track Emerging Languages, Tools, and Techniques
Optional Track The Java Frontier

-- Dennis

Aaron Bedra

Sep 27, 2011, 1:14:50 PM9/27/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On a similar note, I will also be at J1 representing Clojure in the
script bowl. It is wednesday morning at 8:30. The audience chooses the
winner, so if you are at J1 and want to support Clojure, you have your
chance!

Cheers,

Aaron Bedra
--
Clojure/core
http://clojure.com

On 09/27/2011 11:50 AM, Dennis wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I will be giving a talk at JavaOne (it is Clojure related). Here is
> the information.
>
> Title: Monitoring a Large-Scale Infrastructure with Clojure
> Time Tuesday, 07:30 PM, Parc 55 - Embarcadero
> Length 45 Minutes
> Abstract: Monitoring a large infrastructure brings unique challenges
> that require blending development and operations concepts. This
> session discusses how Dell Inc. used Clojure to develop a
> data-flow-based monitoring system that stores, evaluates, and acts on
> hundreds of thousands of metrics.
>
> It covers

> � Real-world applications of Clojure's parallel programming constructs

> to take advantage of multiple cores available in today's systems

> � Using Clojure's homoiconic nature to create DSLs
> � Taking advantage of Clojure running on the JVM to use the Java ecosystem
> � How DevOps takes advantage of the JVM dynamic languages to develop

Sean Corfield

Sep 28, 2011, 3:31:26 PM9/28/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
The Bay Area Clojure User Group is scheduled to meet on Thursday
October 6th. Any out of town Clojurians who would be around for that
meetup and might be persuaded to come and talk about what they're
doing with Clojure?

http://www.meetup.com/The-Bay-Area-Clojure-User-Group/

Sean

Boris Mühmer

Sep 28, 2011, 1:47:43 AM9/28/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Will there be any slides or maybe even a recording of this session?

I would be very interested in this talk, but I can't go there...

Regards,
Boris

2011/9/27 Dennis <shr3...@gmail.com>:

Dennis

Sep 28, 2011, 7:49:51 PM9/28/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure to what extent there will be recording. However, I can
send you my slides after the presentation.

-- Dennis

Boris Mühmer

Sep 29, 2011, 4:25:41 AM9/29/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
That would be great!

Thanks in advance,
boris

Chas Emerick

Sep 29, 2011, 10:40:09 AM9/29/11
to Clojure
Looks good, Dennis.

Similarly, I'll be giving a talk at Java One on Clojure; I'll do my
best to warm up the crowd for you. :-)

Session ID: 25060
Session Title: Real-Time Hot Code Deployment with Clojure
Venue / Room: Parc 55 - Embarcadero
Date and Time: 10/4/11, 13:30 - 14:30
Abstract Few things help boost developer productivity more than
speeding the delivery of code into running environments. Dynamic
languages help by shortening development lifecycles and simplifying
application models, and tools provide similar benefits for static
languages such as Java and Scala, but these options are fundamentally
partial workarounds. This session details how Clojure—a dynamic,
compiled JVM language—facilitates hot code deployment that completely
eliminates turnaround time for developing locally, updating remote
production servers, and even modifying code running on mobile devices.
The presentation uses an open source, IDE-agnostic tool chain to
demonstrate these capabilities and how they accelerate common
development practices.

Perhaps old hat for many here, but hopefully will be a good
introduction to a compelling advantage Clojure offers.

Cheers,

- Chas

Felix Filozov

Sep 29, 2011, 2:35:04 PM9/29/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Is the location of the meetup anywhere close to the conference?

Sean Corfield

Sep 29, 2011, 4:12:58 PM9/29/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Felix Filozov <ffil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is the location of the meetup anywhere close to the conference?

The group alternates between San Francisco and Mountain View but we're
considering meeting every month in San Francisco and running the
Mountain View meetings less frequently in addition, going forward.
Because of Java One, we'll almost certainly meet up in San Francisco
this coming week.

Sean

> On Wednesday, September 28, 2011, Sean Corfield <seanco...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> http://www.meetup.com/The-Bay-Area-Clojure-User-Group/

C. Arel

Oct 4, 2011, 11:17:51 AM10/4/11
to Clojure
Hi Dennis and Chas,
I'd also like the slides if possible. Maybe if you could post them
here in the group more people can get them.

Thanks,
Can

Dennis

Oct 5, 2011, 12:55:01 AM10/5/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Here is a link to my presentation.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5831287/JavaOne%202011%20-%20Monitoring%20a%20Large-Scale%20Infrastructure%20with%20Clojure%20FINAL.pptx

Sorry about the file format :)

Let me know if the link doesn't work.

-- Dennis

Leonardo Borges

Oct 5, 2011, 1:05:38 AM10/5/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
How about putting it up on slideshare?  Pretty sure they can import pptx ;)

Cheers,
Leonardo Borges
www.leonardoborges.com

Dennis

Oct 5, 2011, 1:44:55 AM10/5/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Good idea. I am having problems with slideshare displaying the
presentation. I probably need to get on another machine to try to
convert it to something more useful, and that will take a couple of
days. I will post when I do.

-- Dennis

Colin Yates

Oct 5, 2011, 3:54:44 AM10/5/11
to clojure
Also, I have to ask - why didn't you use one of the many "industry-standard" toolsuites? (I am particularly partial to Zabbix myself but I don't have thousands of machines to monitor, only < 100).
Excerpts from Dennis's message of 2011-10-05 05:55:01 +0100:

Chas Emerick

Oct 5, 2011, 4:46:30 AM10/5/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I will blog a summary of the talk along with the slides shortly. I have quite the backlog of drafts to polish up, but they're coming. :-)

- Chas

Boris Mühmer

Oct 5, 2011, 8:49:02 AM10/5/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the slides! The presentation is very interesting.

Was there a recording of Your talk?

- boris

Dennis

Oct 12, 2011, 11:21:38 AM10/12/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Here is the slide deck uploaded to slideshare:
http://www.slideshare.net/shr3kst3r/java-one-2011-monitoring-a-largescale-infrastructure-with-clojure

Sorry for the delay

-- Dennis