New installation for Emacs clojure-mode, etc.

Phil Hagelberg

Nov 27, 2010, 6:56:00 PM11/27/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com

One of the biggest frustrations in maintaining the Emacs libraries for
Clojure has been the fact that ELPA, the original package archive for
Emacs, is manually curated, so updates can take a very long time to
propagate. In Emacs 24 (currently under development), they have bundled
the package.el package manager with enhancements that allow it to read
from multiple archive sources. This allows Elisp maintainers to keep
their own package sources in a decentralized manner on their own terms
rather than submitting everything to the official GNU sources or the
original ELPA archive.

My personal package archive at http://repo.technomancy.us/emacs/ now has
a new clojure-mode, clojure-test-mode, and paredit. It also has durendal
and a version of slime that has the version mismatch fix in place.

If you want to stay on stable Emacs, you can get the latest package.el
straight out of Emacs trunk; (http://bit.ly/pkg-el) I've done some
testing that indicates it should work fine on 23. Note that it now comes
configured with only the FSF repo out of the box, and since it doesn't
host non-GNU projects it only has six or so packages. You have to add
other archives like ELPA or my own before it's useful.

tl;dr: you'll get more up-to-date versions of clojure-mode, slime,
etc. if you use Emacs 24 with my personal package archive:

(add-to-list 'package-archives
'("technomancy" . "http://repo.technomancy.us/emacs/") t)

Let me know if you run into problems.

-Phil