Being "not Lisp" is a feature?

David Sletten

Nov 9, 2010, 12:08:35 PM11/9/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I don't want to start any language wars, but this is funny:
http://gosu-lang.org/comparison.shtml

Have all good days,
David Sletten

Laurent PETIT

Nov 9, 2010, 12:22:49 PM11/9/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
this feature seems to have been specifically created to FUD over clojure :-)

Ken Wesson

Nov 9, 2010, 1:01:58 PM11/9/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 12:08 PM, David Sletten <da...@bosatsu.net> wrote:
> Being "not Lisp" is a feature?

No, of course not.

It's a bug.

Stefan Kamphausen

Nov 9, 2010, 1:06:08 PM11/9/10
to Clojure

On Nov 9, 6:08 pm, David Sletten <da...@bosatsu.net> wrote:
> I don't want to start any language wars, but this is funny:http://gosu-lang.org/comparison.shtml

Yeah, I had a good laugh this morning. ;-)

Santosh Rajan

Nov 9, 2010, 8:49:26 PM11/9/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
The negative of a feature is also considered a feature by people who
don't "get it". ;-)

> --

http://hi.im/santosh

Brisance

Nov 9, 2010, 10:00:20 PM11/9/10
to Clojure
"Easy transition from Java", and Java has a checkmark.

lprefo...@softaddicts.ca

Nov 9, 2010, 11:42:19 PM11/9/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Gosu -> standard athlete on performance enhancing drugs (EPO, steroids, ...)
Clojure -> genetically modified athlete

A big generation gap, comparison stops here, no need to discuss details :)))

Luc P.

David Sletten <da...@bosatsu.net> wrote ..

Baishampayan Ghose

Nov 10, 2010, 12:32:08 AM11/10/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Luc,

> Gosu -> standard athlete on performance enhancing drugs (EPO, steroids, ...)
> Clojure -> genetically modified athlete
>
> A big generation gap, comparison stops here, no need to discuss details :)))

Your sense of humour never fails to amuse me; it was great meeting you
at Clojure Conj :)

Regards,
BG

--
Baishampayan Ghose
b.ghose at gmail.com

lprefo...@softaddicts.ca

Nov 10, 2010, 3:33:20 PM11/10/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Sometimes a bit of acid in a joke improves it...

I`ll be there next year certainly :))

Baishampayan Ghose <b.g...@gmail.com> wrote ..

Shantanu Kumar

Nov 11, 2010, 9:01:55 AM11/11/10
to Clojure
And then comes this (Paul Stadig's tweet, RT by Stuart Sierra :)

http://language-comparison.s3.amazonaws.com/comparison.html

Regards,
Shantanu

On Nov 11, 1:33 am, lprefonta...@softaddicts.ca wrote:
> Sometimes a bit of acid in a joke improves it...
>
> I`ll be there next year certainly :))
>
> Baishampayan Ghose <b.gh...@gmail.com> wrote ..

Mike Anderson

Nov 11, 2010, 9:36:03 AM11/11/10
to Clojure
On Nov 10, 4:42 am, lprefonta...@softaddicts.ca wrote:
> Gosu -> standard athlete on performance enhancing drugs (EPO, steroids, ...)
> Clojure -> genetically modified athlete

Presumably the genetically modified athlete was also born on
Krypton :-)

lprefo...@softaddicts.ca

Nov 11, 2010, 10:45:43 AM11/11/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You are lucky you do not work with me day to day, my sense of humor
is not always "on". The last two weeks I had to interact with zombies
in two different IT departments (two separate customers) and swearing
mode was on for most of that period. Yesterday was particularly awful.

I think you get along with human beings more than I can :)))
It's easier to deal with software and hardware problems than wet ware
issues. My cats and garden plants have a much more rational behaviors...

I hope we can meet at the next Conj. Too bad were are so far away,
I would have a drink with you on a regular basis. Lets strive to have one
at the next Conj :)

How your startup thing going ? Mine is on track but there's still a
pile of work to be done especially with the stuff I brought back from the
Conj. A new design is planned for 2011.

Be seeing you,

Luc

Baishampayan Ghose <b.g...@gmail.com> wrote ..

Michel Alexandre Salim

Nov 13, 2010, 1:19:08 PM11/13/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 06:01:55 -0800, Shantanu Kumar wrote:

> And then comes this (Paul Stadig's tweet, RT by Stuart Sierra :)
>
> http://language-comparison.s3.amazonaws.com/comparison.html
>

>> Not Not Lisp (Ruby/Python/Java)

Though actually, in Lisp dialects double-negation of something is just
true, not the original item :)

user> (not (not 'lisp))
true

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
Clojure contributor: http://clojure.org/contributing

µblog: http://identi.ca/hircus | Jabber: hir...@jabber.ccc.de
http://twitter.com/hircus | IRC: hir...@irc.freenode.net

Michel Alexandre Salim

Nov 13, 2010, 1:16:25 PM11/13/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:08:35 -0500, David Sletten wrote:

> I don't want to start any language wars, but this is funny:
> http://gosu-lang.org/comparison.shtml

I love the part where it claims Scala has "solid IDE tooling". Ever since
2.8.0 comes out the Eclipse plugin auto-completion is broken. Ensime on
Emacs works fine, yes, but so does clojure-mode and swank-clojure.

Daniel Gagnon

Nov 16, 2010, 3:25:48 PM11/16/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I spoke to the guys on reddit. They said it is tongue-in-cheek. They have no knowledge of functional programming but strongly feel it isn't suited to their field.

lprefo...@softaddicts.ca

Nov 16, 2010, 3:59:01 PM11/16/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Daniel Gagnon <redal...@gmail.com> wrote ..

> I spoke to the guys on reddit. They said it is tongue-in-cheek.

> They have no knowledge of functional programming

???

> but strongly feel it isn't suited to their field.

???????????

Isn't this a bit contradictory ? It's ok to follow your own gut feeling but
it needs to be supported somehow by tangible facts.

At least we laughed about it.

Luc P.

> --

Luc P.

================
The rabid Muppet

Daniel Gagnon

Nov 22, 2010, 3:17:18 PM11/22/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 3:59 PM, <lprefo...@softaddicts.ca> wrote:
Daniel Gagnon <redal...@gmail.com> wrote ..
> I spoke to the guys on reddit. They said it is tongue-in-cheek.

> They have no knowledge of functional programming

???

> but strongly feel it isn't suited to their field.

Isn't this a bit contradictory ? It's ok to follow your own gut feeling but
it needs to be supported somehow by tangible facts.

At least we laughed about it.

Luc P.

Absolutely.

On the other hand, the target market of their language is large corporations that wouldn't touch lisp for social reasons (has to be classically object oriented or else it won't be considered) so to them not being a lisp is a feature but it doesn't really excuse dissing it while only knowing the wikipedia summary of functional languages.