1.2 release ?

lprefo...@softaddicts.ca

May 3, 2010, 10:26:59 PM5/3/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

it's not that I want to put pressure on anyone here but there has been a number
of discussions about the 1.2 release and I was wondering what's the horizon for
a first release ?

We are still in prod with 1.0 but some are salivating about some of the features
of 1.2. We did not move to 1.1 and are expecting to directly jump to 1.2.

I just wonder when I can release the gate and let people here code with 1.2
for a future deployment in production... I am juggling with the dev schedule
tonight.

No need to post answers à la Orson Wells, "we will not release 1.2 before its
time", if no answers get posted I'll send people on an ice bank somewhere to cool
off during summer vacations :)))

Luc P.

Sean Devlin

May 4, 2010, 7:20:47 AM5/4/10
to Clojure
IANRH :)

When it's all said & done, I'd say 1 to 3 months.

Patches are flying around like crazy right now, and they're mostly
related to getting the last bits & pieces in order before an RC. Rich
has mentioned that there's going to a bit longer RC period this time
around, this is to accommodate some libraries from contrib being
upgraded to core. The new io library in particular could use some
testing.

Try to break clojure once the RC is released. I'd recommend that
anyone who's interested in an official release happening sooner rather
than later start looking for bugs in 1.2. Port your code to the new
version on a test server. The earlier we find & fix bugs, the better
off we all will be. But, we can't fix bugs until they're observed
(except Chuck Norris), so start looking!

Sean

Rich Hickey

May 4, 2010, 9:28:30 AM5/4/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com

On May 3, 2010, at 10:26 PM, lprefo...@softaddicts.ca wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> it's not that I want to put pressure on anyone here but there has
> been a number
> of discussions about the 1.2 release and I was wondering what's the
> horizon for
> a first release ?
>
> We are still in prod with 1.0 but some are salivating about some of
> the features
> of 1.2. We did not move to 1.1 and are expecting to directly jump to
> 1.2.
>
> I just wonder when I can release the gate and let people here code
> with 1.2
> for a future deployment in production... I am juggling with the dev
> schedule
> tonight.
>
> No need to post answers à la Orson Wells, "we will not release 1.2
> before its
> time", if no answers get posted I'll send people on an ice bank
> somewhere to cool
> off during summer vacations :)))

We are hoping to go code complete on the features listed for milestone
1.2 within a week or so:

https://www.assembla.com/spaces/clojure/tickets/custom_report/2729

That will be followed by a bug-fix-only beta period (insert Wellesian
comment here), then an RC, followed by release.

I'd like everyone to get on the beta as soon as it is available so it
gets a thorough workout, as several things have shifted around.

If nothing serious comes up during beta, we could be 4-6 weeks away.

Rich

Luc Préfontaine

May 4, 2010, 7:32:46 PM5/4/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
My previous post got lost in a black hole somewhere... so lets type a shorter version:

Yeppee !

That's a perfect match with my schedule for the next 6 months.
We will launch our new projects under 1.2 and port the existing code to it in the following weeks.
Our next major deployment toward fall will use 1.2 and by then we should have tripped over most of the problems
in our code.

Good  occasion to do some code reviews...

Thank you,

Luc P.