Clojure 1.2 Release

Rich Hickey

Aug 19, 2010, 11:25:43 AM8/19/10
to Clojure
I'm pleased to announce today the release of Clojure 1.2.

http://clojure.org/downloads

For maven/leiningen users, your settings to get the beta from
build.clojure.org/releases are:

:dependencies [[org.clojure/clojure "1.2.0"]
[org.clojure/clojure-contrib "1.2.0"]

This release includes many significant new features, such as protocols
and datatypes; enhancements to existing features like the sequence
library, destructuring and agents; support for annotations, etc. In
addition, it incorporates many enhancements first developed and
nurtured in clojure-contrib like I/O, string and pretty printing
facilities.

This release reflects the work of many people in addition to myself,
and I'd like to thank all of the contributors who've submitted fix and
enhancement patches, and everyone in the community who has
participated in terrific dialog that surrounds the development and use
of Clojure.

Congrats and thanks to the contrib authors whose work has made it into
the release:

Chas Emerick
Tom Faulhaber
Stephen Gilardi
Christophe Grand
Stuart Halloway
Chris Houser
David Liebke
Michel Salim
Stuart Sierra

I'd especially like to thank Stuart Halloway and the rest of the
Clojure/core team for their tireless effort in authoring, screening
and applying patches, setting up build machines, monitoring the
mailing list, cutting releases etc. Their help greatly facilitates my
ability to concentrate on the core design issues, and builds the
foundation for increasing community involvement. A lot of work goes
into Clojure. The team's effort is enabled and funded by the Clojure/
core practice (http://clojure.com).

The full list of enhancements and changes is here:

http://github.com/clojure/clojure/blob/1.2.x/changes.txt

and the fixed tickets are here:

http://www.assembla.com/spaces/clojure/tickets?milestone_id=149827&tickets_report_id=5

What's next? Plenty! There are a few fixes and enhancements too
impactful to squeeze into this release that we hope to get out there
ASAP. I've done a ton of work already on enhanced primitive support
and call linkage that will be moving into master. Design work is
proceeding on many fronts. I'm looking forward to the increasing
capability and maturity of Clojure, and the growth of the community.

Thanks to all involved!

Rich

Rayne

Aug 19, 2010, 11:37:25 AM8/19/10
to Clojure
Congratulations! Thanks to everybody who worked on this masterpiece.
Best. Language. Ever.
> http://www.assembla.com/spaces/clojure/tickets?milestone_id=149827&ti...

Baishampayan Ghose

Aug 19, 2010, 11:38:11 AM8/19/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
> I'm pleased to announce today the release of Clojure 1.2.

Woohoo! Time to party and then port all the 13k lines of Clojure code
that we have written so far to 1.2.
Awesome work, Rich & co.
Clojure rocks!

Regards,
BG

--
Baishampayan Ghose
b.ghose at gmail.com

David Nolen

Aug 19, 2010, 11:41:58 AM8/19/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Woot!

Stefan Kamphausen

Aug 19, 2010, 11:45:37 AM8/19/10
to Clojure
Hi,

On 19 Aug., 17:25, Rich Hickey <richhic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce today the release of Clojure 1.2.

this is a great achievement. Congratulations to all involved and
thank you!

For us it the release is just on time. We will finish our book /
tomorrow/ and I had been hoping for weeks now, that 1.2 would come out
before we have to finalize things. So, we don't have to use an RC for
our examples.

Funny how life organizes itself sometime. :-)

Kind regards,
Stefan

Greg

Aug 19, 2010, 11:56:18 AM8/19/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Congrats! :-D

BTW, the link to clojure-contrib-1.2 seems to be broken (currently returning 404):

http://github.com/downloads/clojure/clojure/clojure-contrib-1.2.0.zip

Was RC3 the final build? I couldn't find the answer in the release notes.

Cheers,
Greg

limux

Aug 19, 2010, 11:59:48 AM8/19/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Congrats and Cheers, :-)

2010/8/19 Greg <gr...@kinostudios.com>:

--
云中漫步

Nicolas Oury

Aug 19, 2010, 12:00:53 PM8/19/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!!
I am very happy with 1.2, as everybody I think. Great improvements to
my favorite language.

Your announcement got me curious: what are the future call linkage improvements?

Thanks to all of you, it's great.

Best,

Nicolas.

Rick Moynihan

Aug 19, 2010, 12:01:54 PM8/19/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On 19 August 2010 16:25, Rich Hickey <richh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce today the release of Clojure 1.2.

Amazing news! :-)

R.

Meikel Brandmeyer

Aug 19, 2010, 12:00:48 PM8/19/10
to Clojure

Btsai

Aug 19, 2010, 11:54:18 AM8/19/10
to Clojure
Congratulations!

Just as a heads-up, the download link for Clojure Contrib on
http://clojure.org/downloads is currently broken. It's pointing to:

http://github.com/downloads/clojure/clojure/clojure-contrib-1.2.0.zip

.. when I'm guessing it should be:

http://github.com/downloads/clojure/clojure-contrib/clojure-contrib-1.2.0.zip

Stuart Halloway

Aug 19, 2010, 12:04:52 PM8/19/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Link fixed, thanks.

Clojure 1.2 is RC3, but for the metadata change to remove the "RC3" part. The changes.txt notes this, but for some reason my git branch tracking 1.2.x isn't pushing. I just pushed it explicitly.

Stu

Chas Emerick

Aug 19, 2010, 12:24:21 PM8/19/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 19, 2010, at 11:25 AM, Rich Hickey wrote:

> I'm pleased to announce today the release of Clojure 1.2.

A huge milestone. Thanks, Rich, and to everyone else that has helped,
fretted, argued, and worked to make Clojure and its community what it
is today. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

- Chas

Justin Kramer

Aug 19, 2010, 12:26:36 PM8/19/10
to Clojure
Woohoo, congrats! Can't wait to see all the new goodies that are in
store for the next version.

Justin
> http://www.assembla.com/spaces/clojure/tickets?milestone_id=149827&ti...

MarkSwanson

Aug 19, 2010, 12:50:28 PM8/19/10
to Clojure
Excellent news.

Fogus

Aug 19, 2010, 12:49:35 PM8/19/10
to Clojure
What a day for Clojure!

If anyone wants more information than what's available in Rich's
links, then you can view the slides for a talk I'm giving tonight:
http://fogus.me/static/preso/clj1.2+/

Jeff Brown

Aug 19, 2010, 1:12:04 PM8/19/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Rich Hickey <richh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce today the release of Clojure 1.2.
>
> http://clojure.org/downloads
>
> For maven/leiningen users, your settings to get the beta from
> build.clojure.org/releases are:
>
>         :dependencies [[org.clojure/clojure "1.2.0"]
>                    [org.clojure/clojure-contrib "1.2.0"]

When should 1.2.0 be available at
http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/clojure/clojure/ ?

Jeff

--
Jeff Brown
SpringSource

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Stuart Sierra

Aug 19, 2010, 2:42:47 PM8/19/10
to Clojure
On Aug 19, 1:12 pm, Jeff Brown <j...@jeffandbetsy.net> wrote:
> When should 1.2.0 be available athttp://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/clojure/clojure/?

We don't have a direct sync to Maven central. They don't seem to be
giving those out anymore. So someone with the authority will have to
upload it manually. :(

Until then, add http://build.clojure.org/releases to your list of
repositories.

-S

Mark Derricutt

Aug 19, 2010, 4:22:14 PM8/19/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I think I can do that - or at least push that along.  Will check into it when I get to the office in about 30 minutes.

PS: Direct sync to central is easy via oss.sonatype.org repositories.

--
Pull me down under...

Warren Wood

Sep 13, 2010, 4:04:57 PM9/13/10
to Clojure
Can we get a status update on that :) ?

On Aug 19, 3:22 pm, Mark Derricutt <m...@talios.com> wrote:
> I think I can do that - or at least push that along.  Will check into it
> when I get to the office in about 30 minutes.
>
> PS: Direct sync to central is easy via oss.sonatype.org repositories.
>
> --
> Pull me down under...
>
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Stuart Sierra

Mark Derricutt

Sep 13, 2010, 7:37:00 PM9/13/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I spent some time looking at this yesterday - I just need to create a -sources.jar and a javadoc.jar to satisfy the enforcer rules on the oss.sonatype.org repository deployment process.

I'll take another stab tonight see where I get.

Mark

--
Pull me down under...

Mark Derricutt

Sep 14, 2010, 4:50:37 AM9/14/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I got tripped up on permissions on oss.sonatype.org as my account doesn't give me access to deploy org.clojure.

"You don't have org.clojure permissions, so the staging artifacts went into default 'Central Bundles' profile, artifacts in which need to be reviewed and released by us."

I've not (yet - not sure) submitted the clojure-contrib forms so can't really say I'm a member of the project to fast track it.

I'll push clojure-contrib up the same way i've done these so hopefully when Juven and co review it they'll both go up.

Mark

--
Pull me down under...

Mark Derricutt

Sep 14, 2010, 3:39:59 PM9/14/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
So clojure 1.2.0 is now in maven central:

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.clojure</groupId>
  <artifactId>clojure</artifactId>
  <version>1.2.0</version>
</dependency>

I got sidetracked with phonecalls from parents last night and didn't get clojure-contrib submitted for central but will do that today.

Now I reallllly should get off my (*&$#($*(# and fill out the contributor form ( and actually post it off! ) with some updated pom templates and build steps to make this easier next time.

Mark

--
Pull me down under...