[ANN]: Google Chrome extension for TryClojure (try-clojure.org)

sergey-miryanov

May 31, 2010, 6:04:01 AM5/31/10
to Clojure
Hi all,

I made a little extension for google chrome. It allows to start try-
clojure REPL via clicking on toolbar button. Also it grabs selected
text and evaluates it in REPL.

Feel free to comment, report bugs and suggestions.

/Sergey

sergey-miryanov

May 31, 2010, 2:22:19 PM5/31/10
to Clojure

Sean Corfield

May 31, 2010, 7:28:25 PM5/31/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
try-clojure.org seems to redirect to http://blog.licenser.net/ ??

Sean Corfield

May 31, 2010, 7:33:27 PM5/31/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Also the extension did not seem to work reliably on Chrome 5.0.375.55
beta on Mac OS X. Sometimes clicking the button did not open the
popup, sometimes it opened it blank. In most cases it spun up CPU to
near 100%. Only once did it open with the REPL on www.try-clojure.org
- but it is a cool idea!

Heinz N. Gies

May 31, 2010, 7:41:01 PM5/31/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
The problem is known and in work, the background is that not all of the DNS entries can be configured directly a request with the DNS provider (which also hosts my blog) is already filed so I can't say how long this takes :).

Best regards,
Heinz N. Gies aka Licenser

Sean Corfield

May 31, 2010, 7:46:07 PM5/31/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Good to know. I'll reinstall it and look forward to using it once DNS
has propagated (if that's what's causing the problems with the
extension)...

Jeff Rose

Jun 1, 2010, 5:16:40 AM6/1/10
to Clojure
Awesome! Works great for me with Chromium in Ubuntu Lucid. This will
be handy for trying things out and looking up docs. Thanks!

-Jeff

On May 31, 12:04 pm, sergey-miryanov <sergey.mirya...@gmail.com>

Rayne

Jun 1, 2010, 10:40:45 AM6/1/10
to Clojure
This is freakin' amazin!!! Thank you so much. With your permission,
I'd love to link to this extension on the front page. This is really
great. :)

feka

Jun 1, 2010, 10:49:04 AM6/1/10
to Clojure
Good idea! Thanks. (And try-clojure is good idea, too. So they also
merit the thanks.)

I can't make it grab the selection and evaluate it though. Am I
missing something? Mac OS X 10.6.3, Chromium (Revision 48615)

Feka

On May 31, 12:04 pm, sergey-miryanov <sergey.mirya...@gmail.com>

sergey-miryanov

Jun 1, 2010, 1:08:52 PM6/1/10
to Clojure
Rayne, thank you for your work, without it nothing happens :)
Yes, feel free to link to extension on your page.

sergey-miryanov

Jun 1, 2010, 1:07:07 PM6/1/10
to Clojure
Sean, Rayne made a patch and I update an extension. Please check :)

Heinz N. Gies

Jun 1, 2010, 4:10:45 PM6/1/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
The DNS is fixed, try-clojure.org is now working too :)

regards,
Heinz

Sina K. Heshmati

Jun 1, 2010, 4:26:54 PM6/1/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
"Heinz N. Gies" <he...@licenser.net> said:

> The DNS is fixed, try-clojure.org is now working too :)

Not anymore! I was actually using it. I missed C-a C-k though.

SinDoc

sergey-miryanov

Jun 2, 2010, 12:15:00 AM6/2/10
to Clojure
Feka, do you select a text on page and press button in toolbar?

Heinz N. Gies

Jun 2, 2010, 4:08:16 PM6/2/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com

You make me cry :P thanks for the hint this time it was my evil doing ;) fixed now! and I promise I don't touch it any more!

feka

Jun 2, 2010, 8:40:24 PM6/2/10
to Clojure
Yes.

Another question: could you add copy paste funcionality?

Feka

Sina K. Heshmati

Jun 3, 2010, 8:55:12 AM6/3/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com

No problem. This is a valuable resource since it's not always easy to access a REPL but it definitely _is_ using the browser.

Keep up the good work,
SinDoc

Rayne

Jun 3, 2010, 2:21:13 PM6/3/10
to Clojure
TryClojure is powered by jquery-console, which also powers TryHaskell.
jquery-console doesn't support paste functionality. While I imagine I
could somehow hook pasting (and might end up doing so), I have to
agree with Chris and the guys at TryRuby about pasting: copy/paste is
generally bad for learning. I recently bit the bullet and made the
tutorial examples clickable. I guess if I'm going that far, I might as
well find a way to enable pasting.

We'll see.

Rayne

Jun 3, 2010, 9:15:43 PM6/3/10
to Clojure
Indeed.

When I first started tryclojure, the idea wasn't really for it to be
much of a tutorial sort of thing as it was to just be a REPL-in-the-
browser sort of thing for general usage when you didn't have access to
an REPL. Eventually the tutorial got added, and I've been stuck
between orienting tryclojure towards being a learning tool that
happens to be useful in general, or a generally useful tool that
happens to be useful for learning.

I want to add paste, but I'd terribly hate to have to break tradition
with the other trylanguage sites. :<

sergey-miryanov

Jun 4, 2010, 3:21:55 AM6/4/10
to Clojure
Feka, please try a 0.2.1 version (https://chrome.google.com/extensions/
detail/lhmgejcdhmollecbianopflcfdaennle)

Sean Corfield

Jun 6, 2010, 4:50:52 PM6/6/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Rayne <discip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to add paste, but I'd terribly hate to have to break tradition
> with the other trylanguage sites. :<

Until I read this part of the thread, I hadn't noticed that paste
didn't work (since I was highlighting code and clicking the Try
Clojure button each time - which essentially did the copy'n'paste for
me). If I'm in a non-browser environment and want to try code out, I
have to change applications anyway and might as well switch to
Terminal and a running REPL. So the extension works really well for me
when browsing a web site that contains Clojure code, or when I just
have an idea inspired by reading something on the web. For other uses,
switching to a web browser to run code wouldn't really occur to me.

Just my 2¢.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/

-- Margaret Atwood

Sean Corfield

Jun 6, 2010, 4:53:01 PM6/6/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I want to follow up on this and thank Sergey personally for contacting
me on IM and working through some debugging with me until he
identified Google Analytics as the likely culprit. He removed that and
had me try 0.2.1 which worked perfectly!

Thanx Sergey!