Clojure and Android update status

Laurent PETIT

Jan 14, 2011, 4:21:14 AM1/14/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Say I want to write an app in Clojure for Android.

The kind of app which does not require endless restarts.

Would you recommand me to go for it ?

And if so, what's the current "best way" of doing this ?

I've seen many "ports", "special builds" of clojure for Android, but they seem to be dated (late 2009).

Is this because right now with clojure 1.2 I can just go with the official 1.2 build ? Or because people lost interest in 2010 for the "Clojure + Android" combo, and are waiting for a solution to come from Clojure/core ?

Thanks in advance if you can help me update the status of Android+clojure combo for people having to make a decision for immediate needs.

Regards,

--
Laurent

rob levy

Jan 14, 2011, 10:57:45 AM1/14/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
There was recently a stack overflow thread on this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4651757/clojure-on-android/4675855#4675855

One of the people who replied (Arthur Ulfeldt) says that JIT has helped greatly with performance.  So maybe it's time to revisit it.  It looks like remvee's example code has been upkept based on the commit history https://github.com/remvee/clojurehelloandroid

Laurent PETIT

Jan 14, 2011, 11:21:20 AM1/14/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rob, I hadn't seen this very recent thread !

Stuart Sierra

Jan 14, 2011, 6:02:16 PM1/14/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Clojure 1.2.0 works "out of the box" on Android, but startup time is still a problem. Some members of Clojure/core have experimented with ways to make this better, mostly by selectively removing stuff that isn't needed at runtime.

Follow http://dev.clojure.org/display/design/Android+Support for news. The last update was by Aaron Bedra, a Clojure/core member, in December 2010. I wouldn't say it's a high priority right now, but neither have people lost interest.

I personally would not recommend writing an Android app in Clojure if you intend to release it right away. But if you're interested experimenting with Clojure on Android and making it better, then go for it.

-Stuart Sierra