License of/permission for Clojure's logo

samppi

Dec 3, 2008, 11:30:58 PM12/3/08
to Clojure
I want to put the Clojure logo:
http://clojure.googlegroups.com/web/Clojure-logo.png?gda=y8lqvUIAAABoLitVpBTEcNIQc_NHg39S6iU75fHiOxnOGiH4bfPrlzZZL8wLBEcX9EgDZpMYxIxV4u3aa4iAIyYQIqbG9naPgh6o8ccLBvP6Chud5KMzIQ

...on Wikipedia's article on Clojure. What is the license of Clojure's
logo--is it a free image? Or can Mr. Hickley give me permission to use
it on Wikipedia?

cogfun

Dec 4, 2008, 2:09:12 AM12/4/08
to Clojure
This is of no relevance to your question, but I have always wanted to
say that Clojure has one of the most beautiful logos among all the
programming languages.

On Dec 3, 11:30 pm, samppi <rbysam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to put the Clojure logo:http://clojure.googlegroups.com/web/Clojure-logo.png?gda=y8lqvUIAAABo...

Rich Hickey

Dec 4, 2008, 7:23:54 AM12/4/08
to Clojure

On Dec 3, 11:30 pm, samppi <rbysam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to put the Clojure logo:http://clojure.googlegroups.com/web/Clojure-logo.png?gda=y8lqvUIAAABo...
>
> ...on Wikipedia's article on Clojure. What is the license of Clojure's
> logo--is it a free image? Or can Mr. Hickley give me permission to use
> it on Wikipedia?

You can use the logo on the wikipedia article on Clojure, but only if
you spell my name correctly :)

Rich

samppi

Dec 4, 2008, 11:46:31 AM12/4/08
to Clojure
Ah ha ha ha. Wow, my mistake. I'll make sure to spell it correctly.

I totally agree with cogfun, though—it's a really nice logo. Did you
make it yourself?

Rich Hickey

Dec 4, 2008, 12:04:59 PM12/4/08
to Clojure

On Dec 4, 11:46 am, samppi <rbysam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah ha ha ha. Wow, my mistake. I'll make sure to spell it correctly.
>
> I totally agree with cogfun, though—it's a really nice logo. Did you
> make it yourself?

No, it was designed by my brother, Tom Hickey.

Rich

Howard Lewis Ship

Dec 4, 2008, 12:46:55 PM12/4/08
to clo...@googlegroups.com
+1 on the Logo. I wish Tapestry had one half as good.

A few of us were debating whether the green ying represented Java or
the blue yang. What's the official story?
--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Tom Hickey

Dec 5, 2008, 8:51:22 AM12/5/08
to Clojure
I don't think we ever really discussed the colors representing
anything specific. I always vaguely thought of them as earth and sky.

I'm really glad that people like the logo!

Cheers,
Tom
http://tomhickey.com

samppi

Dec 9, 2008, 1:03:00 AM12/9/08
to Clojure
I've uploaded the logo's glyph and added it to Clojure's article.

However, I'm wondering, Mr. Hickey—have you considered releasing the
language's logo under a free license? The language itself is under the
Common Public License; releasing its logo under another free license
is a logical step. If you do so, sites like Wikipedia and bloggers
talking about Clojure would be free to use and spread the logo. (I'm
bringing this up because Wikipedia itself doesn't like non-free images
on it because it says its materials can be used freely by anyone.)

Tom Hickey

Dec 16, 2008, 9:37:56 AM12/16/08
to Clojure
Hey Rich,

Eric and I were also wondering if the logo was under the same license
as Clojure itself. If it is, should this be explicitly stated
somewhere?

Thanks,
Tom

On Dec 9, 1:03 am, samppi <rbysam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've uploaded thelogo'sglyph and added it to Clojure's article.
>
> However, I'm wondering, Mr. Hickey—have you considered releasing the
> language'slogounder a free license? The language itself is under the
> Common Public License; releasing itslogounder another free license
> is a logical step. If you do so, sites like Wikipedia and bloggers
> talking about Clojure would be free to use and spread thelogo. (I'm
> bringing this up because Wikipedia itself doesn't like non-free images
> on it because it says its materials can be used freely by anyone.)
>
> On Dec 4, 5:23 am, Rich Hickey <richhic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 3, 11:30 pm, samppi <rbysam...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I want to put the Clojurelogo:http://clojure.googlegroups.com/web/Clojure-logo.png?gda=y8lqvUIAAABo...
>
> > > ...on Wikipedia's article on Clojure. What is the license of Clojure's
> > >logo--is it a free image? Or can Mr. Hickley give me permission to use
> > > it on Wikipedia?
>
> > You can use thelogoon the wikipedia article on Clojure, but only if

Dudley Flanders

Dec 16, 2008, 9:47:11 AM12/16/08
to clo...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 16, 2008, at 8:37 AM, Tom Hickey wrote:

> Hey Rich,
>
> Eric and I were also wondering if the logo was under the same license
> as Clojure itself. If it is, should this be explicitly stated
> somewhere?

I think using a license designed for code is slightly inappropriate
for artwork. I don't want to start yet another license war, but maybe
a creative commons license would be a better fit? The attribution-
share-alike[0] license seems to share the spirit of Clojure's license.

:dudley

[0] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Jason Riedy

Jan 23, 2009, 11:37:54 AM1/23/09
to clo...@googlegroups.com
And Rich Hickey writes:
> You can use the logo on the wikipedia article on Clojure, but only if
> you spell my name correctly :)

May I use the logo for the identi.ca group? ( http://identi.ca/group/clj )

Jason

Rich Hickey