Clojure Conference Poll

dysinger

Jan 22, 2010, 12:36:07 PM1/22/10
to Clojure
We will be organizing a conference in the next month for 2010
(probably in the fall). One question I would like to ask is, given
the conference is probably going to be a 2-day conference, would you
rather have it during the week or weekend ?

I would think a weekend (meet & greet friday night, saturday & sunday)
would work good.

-Tim

Sean Devlin

Jan 22, 2010, 1:07:40 PM1/22/10
to Clojure
What coast are you thinking? That will probably affect a lot of
answers.

Sean

Chouser

Jan 22, 2010, 1:15:51 PM1/22/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Sean Devlin <francoi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What coast are you thinking?  That will probably affect a lot of
> answers.

Why not compromise and have it in Indianapolis?

Not getting my hopes up,
--Chouser
http://joyofclojure.com/

Sean Devlin

Jan 22, 2010, 1:20:33 PM1/22/10
to Clojure
Only if you know a good bar :)

Richard Newman

Jan 22, 2010, 1:49:41 PM1/22/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
> What coast are you thinking? That will probably affect a lot of
> answers.

Agreed. I'm flexible enough to go during the week (which frees up my
weekend!), but I imagine that's not the case for most.

twitter.com/nfma

Jan 22, 2010, 12:38:53 PM1/22/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Where is it going to be held?

jeremey

Jan 22, 2010, 2:49:15 PM1/22/10
to Clojure
+1 for weekend. Everyone is probably thinking Bay Area, but it should
really be in Houston (warm, great food, great bars). :)

Jeremey.

ataggart

Jan 22, 2010, 3:02:59 PM1/22/10
to Clojure
On Jan 22, 11:49 am, jeremey <j...@jlb.me> wrote:
> +1 for weekend. Everyone is probably thinking Bay Area, but it should
> really be in Houston (warm, great food, great bars). :)
>
> Jeremey.

You misspelled "Austin". ;)

Fogus

Jan 22, 2010, 3:32:49 PM1/22/10
to Clojure
Since Clojure is clearly an East-Coast language, I suggest DC as the
most logical locale. (hopes someone buys this line of reasoning)

-m

Sean Devlin

Jan 22, 2010, 3:50:08 PM1/22/10
to Clojure
Clearly you haven't taken into account that Philadelphia is more
central wrt the big cities :)

Wilson MacGyver

Jan 22, 2010, 4:15:13 PM1/22/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I vote let's turn this into a clojure vacation, and hold it in an
exotic location.

Otherwise, hey, Columbus Ohio is as good as any other city. :)

ajay gopalakrishnan

Jan 22, 2010, 4:19:42 PM1/22/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I vote for Seattle.

Luc Prefontaine

Jan 22, 2010, 4:53:54 PM1/22/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Either would be fine (week/weekend) for me. As for the location, being
in the Montreal area, I am not fan of the west coast...

Travelling by plane these times is painful enough, spending more time
in these flying cans is not my first choice.

If it could be held near a big flight hub accessible in one hop would
be great.

I guess central time areas more or less would be a good compromise for
everyone.

As for great bars, the look does not matter too much after a few
drinks :)))

Luc

Sent from my iPod

Howard Lewis Ship

Jan 22, 2010, 5:21:40 PM1/22/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I would prefer over a weekend (hopefully it won't conflict with a NFJS show).

Bay area is nice; Portland is nicer!

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

thearthur

Jan 22, 2010, 5:32:05 PM1/22/10
to Clojure
Because the majority of us are not using Clojure for work a weekend is
going to encounter the lease work related conflicts. a Friday-to-
Saturday conference would be a potential compromise allowing people to
only take thursday-friday off work and still be back on Monday.

as far as choosing a location, a better question would be "where do
you live"

jwhitlark

Jan 22, 2010, 6:40:04 PM1/22/10
to Clojure
I would suggest that in addition to the 2-day (weekend seems logical
to me) conference, that you consider a tutorial day on Friday, and
perhaps even sprints for after the conference. I've gotten a great
deal out of that format at Pycon, over the years.

~J

Pratik Patel

Jan 22, 2010, 5:36:31 PM1/22/10
to Clojure
I'll throw in my preferences:
Location: Atlanta - Cheap facilities, direct flights for most everyone
in the *world*, easier for Euro folks to make it here, and great BBQ.
Days of week: It would be great to have it on Thurs afternoon/Fri/Sat
Date: late Sept, early Oct
Sessions: Day1: Beginner tracks & tools Day 2: Clojure ecosystem
(compojure, etc); Clojure hackfest. Day 3: Advanced clojure
(internals); Hackfest continues.
Beer and discussions in the evenings.

-p

Konrad Hinsen

Jan 23, 2010, 2:54:22 AM1/23/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On 22 Jan 2010, at 22:15, Wilson MacGyver wrote:

> I vote let's turn this into a clojure vacation, and hold it in an
> exotic location.
>
> Otherwise, hey, Columbus Ohio is as good as any other city. :)

My vote is for Paris, France :-)

Konrad.

Mark Engelberg

Jan 23, 2010, 2:59:45 AM1/23/10
to clojure
I second Seattle.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 1:19 PM, ajay gopalakrishnan <ajgo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I vote for Seattle.

Christophe Grand

Jan 23, 2010, 3:53:45 AM1/23/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com

+1 :-)

Edmund

Jan 23, 2010, 4:33:45 AM1/23/10
to Clojure
East coast for we Europeans ?

On Jan 23, 8:53 am, Christophe Grand <christo...@cgrand.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Konrad Hinsen

Boštjan Jerko

Jan 23, 2010, 6:04:43 AM1/23/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com

I'd say +1 for Paris, but I guess Clojure Conference Europe would be nice :D

B.

Adrian Cuthbertson

Jan 23, 2010, 7:58:33 AM1/23/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com

Well, how about Johannesburg or Cape Town. Sort of equidistant from
the US, Europe, Asia and Aus. Also if you wait a month or two you can
get to watch a soccer (footie) match or three as well :).

Heinz N. Gies

Jan 23, 2010, 8:45:01 AM1/23/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com

I had a horrible french teacher! Please not paris :P then again it's closer then the US Wherever it is there :P. How about Berlin? It's wonderful here ;).

But for being serious if we pull something here in europe I would belive the UK would likely be the best place since at least all of us on the list speak english and won't have too much trouble to get along there ;)

In the US I would say something on the east cost would be best, DS, NY, stuff which is easy to reach for us europeans, after all if any of us manage to attend we'll have 11+h of flight even if it's on the eastcost, having it back on the other side makes this what 15+? I'm not sure never took that route yet.

Best regards,
Heinz.

PS: We've great bear and sausages in germany!

Laurent PETIT

Jan 23, 2010, 3:34:58 PM1/23/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
+1 :-)

Brent Millare

Jan 23, 2010, 10:33:23 PM1/23/10
to Clojure
Weekend, and East coast, either near the DC area or New York Area,
maybe Boston area is OK too.

Chad Harrington

Jan 24, 2010, 3:44:12 AM1/24/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
- Friday / Saturday
- SF Bay Area

Chad Harrington
chad.ha...@gmail.com

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 9:36 AM, dysinger <t...@dysinger.net> wrote:
We will be organizing a conference in the next month for 2010
(probably in the fall).  One question I would like to ask is, given
the conference is probably going to be a 2-day conference, would you
rather have it during the week or weekend ?

I would think a weekend (meet & greet friday night, saturday & sunday)
would work good.

-Tim

Garth Sheldon-Coulson

Jan 24, 2010, 7:21:11 AM1/24/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
+1 to Boston/NY/DC/Bay Area in that order

Jeff Schwab

Jan 24, 2010, 8:37:22 AM1/24/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
+1 Boston.

Seth

Jan 24, 2010, 9:33:59 AM1/24/10
to Clojure
When: weekends
Where: DC, Boston, NY, San Fran
Who: at least one, probably more

Newsgroups are such a painful way to vote on things. Google Wave or
some other wiki-like thing would make it much easier to aggregate
everyone's input.

Amit Rathore

Jan 24, 2010, 12:42:13 PM1/24/10
to Clojure

ok folks, we need some more real opinions... :)
we're thinking it will be in the Bay Area, some time during early
fall. weekend seems logical from the responses so far...

as far as pricing goes, how does something in the $199 range sound? we
can probably add a tutorial day Friday for a small additional cost,
say $149...? we can certainly have some well-known clojurians conduct
the tutorials, I'm sure we'll have plenty of real world clojure
experience in the house...

thoughts?

On Jan 23, 12:34 pm, Laurent PETIT <laurent.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 :-)

Richard Newman

Jan 24, 2010, 3:09:21 PM1/24/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
> as far as pricing goes, how does something in the $199 range sound? we
> can probably add a tutorial day Friday for a small additional cost,
> say $149...? we can certainly have some well-known clojurians conduct
> the tutorials, I'm sure we'll have plenty of real world clojure
> experience in the house...

Sounds very reasonable (though from talking to organizers of other
conferences I'd be careful about committing to prices like that until
you figure out how much the space and catering are going to cost…).

Early-bird registration for ILC 2009 was $210, with standard
registration $250. The event had sponsors.

Tim Dysinger

Jan 24, 2010, 5:51:04 PM1/24/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
We don't know what the cost is going to be yet - I want to keep it _low_ but we don't have any sponsors yet nor do we have a small (narrowed) list of locations picked out.  We plan on working on these items this month and will release more info soon as we know more.

Amit Rathore

Jan 24, 2010, 6:50:00 PM1/24/10
to Clojure
Richard,

Agreed - I'm not committing to anything right now, just throwing out
what we might target, if those numbers sounds reasonable to people.
Like Tim said, our goal is to keep costs low, so we can keep the price
low.

Regards,
Amit.

> > --

> > clojure+u...@googlegroups.com<clojure%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com >

Matt Revelle

Jan 24, 2010, 7:01:41 PM1/24/10
to Clojure
Location: DC (central and lots of Clojurers in the area) or Atlanta
(cheap)
Days of week: Any, suggest Fri-Sat

There seem to be at least an equal (probably greater) number of east
coast Clojure users in North America and the east coast is an easier
destination for any European attendees.

I'm happy to help with any additional planning and preparation work.

Joop Kiefte

Jan 24, 2010, 9:48:12 AM1/24/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
This group works as wave group as well :)

2010/1/24 Seth <seth.sc...@gmail.com>:

> --

Communication is essential. So we need decent tools when communication
is lacking, when language capability is hard to acquire...

- http://esperanto.net - http://esperanto-jongeren.nl

Linux-user #496644 (http://counter.li.org) - first touch of linux in 2004

Jevgeni Holodkov

Jan 23, 2010, 7:01:28 PM1/23/10
to Clojure
I would suggest Estonia, but Germany is good as well! :)

Br,
Jevgeni

looselytyped

Jan 23, 2010, 9:58:34 AM1/23/10
to Clojure
I concur. Columbus, OH is a pretty good location :D [But then, I am
just being selfish]

In all seriousness, it does act as a pretty central location in the
midwest region IMO.

Raju

On Jan 22, 4:15 pm, Wilson MacGyver <wmacgy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I vote let's turn this into a clojure vacation, and hold it in an
> exotic location.
>
> Otherwise, hey, Columbus Ohio is as good as any other city. :)
>

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Sean Devlin <francoisdev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Clearly you haven't taken into account that Philadelphia is more
> > central wrt the big cities :)
>
> > On Jan 22, 3:32 pm, Fogus <mefo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Since Clojure is clearly an East-Coast language, I suggest DC as the
> >> most logical locale.  (hopes someone buys this line of reasoning)
>
> >> -m

> > --
>
> --

> Omnem crede diem tibi diluxisse supremum.

ianp

Jan 23, 2010, 11:15:57 AM1/23/10
to Clojure
+1 for a European location. I’m in London but Paris & Berlin are both
really cool locations.

Cheers,
Ian.

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan

Jan 23, 2010, 12:18:47 PM1/23/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com

I vote for Bangalore, India. :-)

--
Ramakrishnan

cburroughs

Jan 25, 2010, 10:25:58 AM1/25/10
to Clojure
I agree that at least part (well I guess that would be half) of the
conference should be on a weekend to permit attendance for those with
work conflicts. A suggestion that I recall seeing a while ago was to
dovetail
ICFP 2010 <http://www.icfpconference.org/>. That would be late
September in the DC/Baltimore area.

caljunior

Jan 25, 2010, 9:28:57 AM1/25/10
to Clojure
Amit Rathore <amitrath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok folks, we need some more real opinions... :)
> we're thinking it will be in the Bay Area, some time during early
> fall. weekend seems logical from the responses so far...

I've only counted two votes for the Bay Area as a first choice so far
in this thread and one of these two actually preferred Portland :-).
The majority seems to prefer the East Coast.

Is this of any consequence or are these not "real opinions"? Did you
check with Rich?

It seems for users the East Coast would be best, for marketing the Bay
Area probably has a bigger spin-off. Depends on the organisers' agenda
I guess.

Zach Tellman

Jan 25, 2010, 2:00:55 PM1/25/10
to Clojure
Bay Area + weekend works well for me too.

On Jan 24, 12:44 am, Chad Harrington <chad.harring...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> - Friday / Saturday
> - SF Bay Area
>
> Chad Harrington

> chad.harring...@gmail.com

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 9:36 AM, dysinger <t...@dysinger.net> wrote:
> > We will be organizing a conference in the next month for 2010
> > (probably in the fall).  One question I would like to ask is, given
> > the conference is probably going to be a 2-day conference, would you
> > rather have it during the week or weekend ?
>
> > I would think a weekend (meet & greet friday night, saturday & sunday)
> > would work good.
>
> > -Tim
>
> > --

> > clojure+u...@googlegroups.com<clojure%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com >

Luc Préfontaine

Jan 25, 2010, 2:08:36 PM1/25/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
It takes me 20 hours flying back and forth between Montreal and the Bay Area from door to door.
Add to this 2 days in Montreal to overcome the jet lag for such a short trip (4/5 days).
Not enough time to sync my internal clock with the time zone out there in such a short stay.

What about folks in Europe then ? It's gonna be even harder for them, they will have to switch
upside down and their travel time will increase significantly.

I still think that some central US flight hub should be the first choice to accommodate everyone and
keep travel times reasonable... Chicago ? Minneapolis ?

Luc

Richard Newman

Jan 25, 2010, 2:52:01 PM1/25/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
> I've only counted two votes for the Bay Area as a first choice so far
> in this thread and one of these two actually preferred Portland :-).
> The majority seems to prefer the East Coast.

I'd prefer the Bay Area personally. I simply didn't feel it was worth
voicing, because the "I prefer my home town" messages are not the best
way to do this.

There are three ways to figure out where to host a conference:

* Figure out where people are, and choose a location that amortizes
the cost of travel over everyone. In this case, that might be the
Midwest or the east coast, largely because of the Canadians and
Europeans who might fly out. This is nominally fair, but is only a
good solution for the guy in Ohio :)

* Figure out where people are, and choose a location that allows the
majority to not have to fly. Judging by the 30-80 attendees at the Bay
Area Clojure meetups, that would be "Mountain View" (perhaps the
Computer History Museum). This has merit: after all, the people
getting on a plane to fly for 7 hours are already flying
internationally; might as well make it 11 hours. (I'm very familiar
with this, having moved from the UK to California a few years ago.)

Heck, if you pick the right location, set up LiveMeeting or something;
if it's too far to fly, videoconference.

* Realize that a lot of people will have to travel anyway, and let the
organizers pick based on personal bias. They're doing the work of
organizing, so I don't begrudge them choosing… how are they going to
visit venues if they organize a conference a thousand miles away?!

Tim Dysinger

Jan 25, 2010, 3:49:59 PM1/25/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I think I should have started this poll off the maillist :(.  I think we can stop now.

I think we know that a big city with direct flights from most anywhere (including from Europe) is good.  We (the conference organizers) have people on the ground in both SF Bay and New England areas.  We'll find something that works for the majority.  We have a call scheduled to discuss further this evening.

We'll make it as easy as possible on everyone to get to the event and keep the cost as low as we can.  We'll do it on a weekend + maybe a friday tutorial day (common format).

More to follow...

mudphone

Jan 25, 2010, 6:22:58 PM1/25/10
to Clojure
+1 Paris

On Jan 22, 11:54 pm, Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hin...@fastmail.net> wrote:
> On 22 Jan 2010, at 22:15, Wilson MacGyver wrote:
>
> > I vote let's turn this into a clojure vacation, and hold it in an
> > exotic location.
>
> > Otherwise, hey, Columbus Ohio is as good as any other city. :)
>
> My vote is for Paris, France :-)
>

> Konrad.

labw...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2010, 1:21:23 PM1/26/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
DC
Clojure vacation + Friday tutorial

On Jan 22, 2010 12:36pm, dysinger <t...@dysinger.net> wrote:
> We will be organizing a conference in the next month for 2010
>
> (probably in the fall).  One question I would like to ask is, given
>
> the conference is probably going to be a 2-day conference, would you
>
> rather have it during the week or weekend ?
>

> I would think a weekend (meet & greet friday night, saturday & sunday)
>
> would work good.
>

> -Tim

Michel Vollebregt

Jan 26, 2010, 3:29:27 PM1/26/10
to Clojure
+1 for Europe

Julien

Jan 26, 2010, 3:59:05 PM1/26/10
to Clojure
What about colocating this conference with say OOPSLA (or ECOOP). You
will probably get good attendance.

Joseph Smith

Jan 26, 2010, 4:09:35 PM1/26/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
+1 Lincoln/Omaha Nebraska. :)

---
Joseph Smith
j...@uwcreations.com
(402)601-5443

On Jan 26, 2010, at 2:29 PM, Michel Vollebregt <klm...@gmail.com>

Jan 26, 2010, 5:53:50 PM1/26/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I didn't know this was a vote for location. If it is, DC would work for me.  I thought it was more about weekend vs week.  I'd agree weekend is better.

David Cabana

Jan 26, 2010, 7:20:30 PM1/26/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
+1 DC

Conrad

Jan 26, 2010, 7:54:02 PM1/26/10
to Clojure
DC would be awesome!

On Jan 26, 7:20 pm, David Cabana <drcab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 DC

Nuno Marques

Jan 26, 2010, 6:05:00 PM1/26/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Weekend and Europe

Nuno

Boštjan Jerko

Jan 26, 2010, 4:58:09 PM1/26/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On 26.1.2010, at 21:59, Julien wrote:

> What about colocating this conference with say OOPSLA (or ECOOP). You
> will probably get good attendance.

If it'd be part of ECOOP it'd be great since in 2010 it's in Slovenia (and I live there :D).

B.

Jeff Schwab

Jan 27, 2010, 11:00:58 AM1/27/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Joseph Smith wrote:
> +1 Lincoln/Omaha Nebraska. :)

Mr. Buffet? Is that you? Have you, too, decided to invest in Clojure?

eyeris

Jan 27, 2010, 11:37:44 AM1/27/10
to Clojure
Exotic? You got it! Madison, WI! Seriously, we have the best bars. See
you guys in the fall! :)

I would prefer it during the week.

On Jan 22, 3:15 pm, Wilson MacGyver <wmacgy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I vote let's turn this into a clojure vacation, and hold it in an
> exotic location.
>
> Otherwise, hey, Columbus Ohio is as good as any other city. :)
>

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Sean Devlin <francoisdev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Clearly you haven't taken into account that Philadelphia is more
> > central wrt the big cities :)
>
> > On Jan 22, 3:32 pm, Fogus <mefo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Since Clojure is clearly an East-Coast language, I suggest DC as the
> >> most logical locale.  (hopes someone buys this line of reasoning)
>
> >> -m
>

> > --

Luc Préfontaine

Jan 27, 2010, 12:59:41 PM1/27/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Then lets call it ClojureFest....

Luc

Luc Préfontaine

Jan 27, 2010, 2:38:09 PM1/27/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Hic !

Rich Hickey

Jan 28, 2010, 9:45:45 AM1/28/10
to Clojure

On Jan 25, 3:49 pm, Tim Dysinger <t...@dysinger.net> wrote:
> I think I should have started this poll off the maillist :(.  I think we can
> stop now.
>
> I think we know that a big city with direct flights from most anywhere
> (including from Europe) is good.  We (the conference organizers) have people
> on the ground in both SF Bay and New England areas.  We'll find something
> that works for the majority.  We have a call scheduled to discuss further
> this evening.
>
> We'll make it as easy as possible on everyone to get to the event and keep
> the cost as low as we can.  We'll do it on a weekend + maybe a friday
> tutorial day (common format).
>
> More to follow...

Oracle just announced Java One in San Francisco from September 19-23,
2010

http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/sun-oracle-community-continuity.html

Rich

liebke

Jan 28, 2010, 10:46:00 AM1/28/10
to Clojure
> Oracle just announced Java One in San Francisco from September 19-23,
> 2010

Despite my preference for an east coast conference (and my limited
interest in JavaOne), I think it makes a lot of sense to have the
ClojureConj start on the Friday after JavaOne.

David

> http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/sun-oracle-community-conti...
>
> Rich

Sean Devlin

Jan 28, 2010, 12:12:41 PM1/28/10
to Clojure
(inc java-one-alignment)

ataggart

Jan 28, 2010, 1:24:43 PM1/28/10
to Clojure
I'm partial to naming it "Expojure".

On Jan 27, 9:59 am, Luc Préfontaine <lprefonta...@softaddicts.ca>

Paul Nakata

Jan 28, 2010, 5:02:11 PM1/28/10
to Clojure
Or "Conjference"

Matt Revelle

Jan 28, 2010, 5:17:18 PM1/28/10
to Clojure
On Jan 28, 10:46 am, liebke <lie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Oracle just announced Java One in San Francisco from September 19-23,
> > 2010
>
> Despite my preference for an east coast conference (and my limited
> interest in JavaOne), I think it makes a lot of sense to have the
> ClojureConj start on the Friday after JavaOne.
>
> David

Conference alignment is smart, but to which conference? I suppose it
depends on whether the conference organizers prefer to convenience the
audience of JavaOne or ICFP. I'm unfamiliar with what sort of folks
go to JavaOne, I'd imagine many of them aren't familiar with Clojure
and wouldn't be interested in paying (or convincing their employers to
pay) to attend the conference.

Not that there would be problem with attendance in SF (hard to imagine
any place that provides a larger local CS audience), but not sure
JavaOne conversion would be high.

-Matt

Richard Newman

Jan 28, 2010, 5:49:52 PM1/28/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
> Conference alignment is smart, but to which conference? I suppose it
> depends on whether the conference organizers prefer to convenience the
> audience of JavaOne or ICFP. I'm unfamiliar with what sort of folks
> go to JavaOne, I'd imagine many of them aren't familiar with Clojure
> and wouldn't be interested in paying (or convincing their employers to
> pay) to attend the conference.

I attended JavaOne last year, primarily for SailFin and Clojure. It's
*huge*. There was interest for Clojure, but there are also aisles upon
aisles of awful middleware/reporting software brokers.

If I wasn't sponsored to go, I wouldn't have paid for it. I imagine
the overlap for ICFP and ILC (which isn't happening again until 2011)
would be a higher percentage, if not a higher absolute figure due to
the huge size of JavaOne.

Whether most of the JavaOne co-attendees would actually be 'genuine'
Clojurites in the making, or just Java drones looking for fresh
buzzwords, I can't say.

Luc Préfontaine

Jan 28, 2010, 6:44:39 PM1/28/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Where's the reference to the booze then ? :)))
Since this thread started, everyone has been saying that bars in their neighbourhood are the best.
Still wondering if this conference is only a motive to get drunk for a few days :)))

Luc

Amit Rathore

Jan 28, 2010, 7:40:32 PM1/28/10
to Clojure
The JavaOne alignment will probably work. The last time, we had a
special Bay Area Clojure meetup following it, and it was our biggest
ever (around 80 people). Of course, that was because Rich was there.

Tim and I are having another discussion over the weekend, we'll keep
you all posted...

Mike T. Miller

Feb 3, 2010, 6:24:53 PM2/3/10
to Clojure
So, Amit, any updates? Bear in mind that ICFP is Sept. 27-29 this
year.

-mike

liebke

Mar 26, 2010, 5:43:30 PM3/26/10
to Clojure
Are there any updates on the status of the planned Clojure conference?

David

Rick Moynihan

Mar 26, 2010, 7:15:28 PM3/26/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com