labrepl incanter IntelliJ Ubuntu 64-bit X11 error

peterg

Apr 10, 2011, 10:49:19 PM4/10/11
to Clojure
Has anyone got the current labrepl/IntelliJ configuration running on
Ubuntu 64-bit?

I get the following error when trying to run the first incanter graph
exercise:

user=> (def words (read-lines "data/words")) #'user/words
user=> (count words)
user=> 234936
user=>
user=> (use '[incanter core charts]) nil
user=> (let [f (frequencies (map first words))] (view (bar-chart (keys
f) (vals f))))
java.awt.HeadlessException: No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this
program performed an operation which requires it. (NO_SOURCE_FILE:0)

The Mac/Linux command line version runs fine and opens the graph
window.

I reported the problem on github; there was an associated maven
problem, but the fix to that hasn't repaired the X11 problem.

The Ubuntu configuration is very plain - not used for anything else.
X11 is part of the standard distribution.

I would really like to try out Clojure through this tutorial...

--PG

Aaron Bedra

Apr 10, 2011, 11:31:07 PM4/10/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I'm on Ubuntu 10.10 64. I use it as my daily development environment.
I just installed IntelliJ community edition 10 and checked out labrepl.
I used the maven browser and selected the clojure:repl task and
everything worked successfully. You can still try out Clojure though
labrepl using any of the other editor options until you get your
IntelliJ issues sorted out.

--
Cheers,

Aaron Bedra
--
Clojure/core
http://clojure.com

peterg

Apr 11, 2011, 2:44:40 AM4/11/11
to Clojure
OK that's nice and clear. Thanks for your help....

--PG

peterg

Apr 13, 2011, 9:00:06 PM4/13/11
to Clojure
Hi All,

I rebuild a brand-spanking Ubuntu 10.10 system and tried IntelliJ and
labrepl. Also tried all three JDKs (openjdk sun-java-6, andf the
IntelliJ built-in) none of these worked with incanter graphics.

As I reported before the graphics work fine from the command-line.

*I seriously believe there is a missing step in published
configuration instructions, or that a development environment being
used elsewhere on the same machine by other people testing provides a
magic fix.

IMHO the NetBeans and Eclipse configs were also flaky or heavyweight.
I started trying EMACS but learning curve is high for entry.

Cheers,
--PG

Aaron Bedra

Apr 13, 2011, 10:14:19 PM4/13/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I use Ubuntu 10.10 64 Desktop edition for all of my development. I
install the oracle jdk 6. All of my dotfiles and emacs configurations
are on github at http://github.com/abedra/shell-shocked. You can dig
through them to see if you are missing anything, but I have never had
this issue before. I install a handful of extras, but I can't think of
anything that would cause/fix the issue you are reporting. Have you
looked on the Ubuntu forums for general Java development with the same
errors? Are you doing anything with your configuration that might be
causing this?

--
Cheers,

Aaron Bedra
--
Clojure/core
http://clojure.com

Aaron Cohen

Apr 13, 2011, 11:25:28 PM4/13/11
to clo...@googlegroups.com, peterg
On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 9:00 PM, peterg <pjgo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *I seriously believe there is a missing step in published
> configuration instructions, or that a development environment being
> used elsewhere on the same machine by other people testing provides a
> magic fix.

Hi Peter,

I can confirm that I see the same thing using La Clojure now, and
the La Clojure forum has one other report of the same issue. I think
it broke fairly recently. Looking at the code they use to launch their
repl, they make the environment an empty map, rather than keeping the
environment variables from your current shell.

It would probably be a pretty easy fix to use System.getEnv() rather
than an empty map, but it will require a fix in La Clojure.

--Aaron

peterg

Apr 13, 2011, 11:58:01 PM4/13/11
to Clojure
Many Thanks Aaron,

I see the post in the la clojure forum - "Environment variables in La
Clojure REPL"
It does seem to be the same issue. Should I cross-post?

Cheers,
--PG

On Apr 14, 1:25 pm, Aaron Cohen <aa...@assonance.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 9:00 PM, peterg <pjgood...@gmail.com> wrote: