Will Clojure work on AppEngine?

Robin

Jan 27, 2009, 2:44:41 PM1/27/09
to Clojure
Under a huge assumption that Google will soon announce a 'Java
compatible' runtime for AppEngine. Could Clojure work out of the
box? Would Clojure's dynamic generation of ASM/bytecode pose a
security problem for a generic sandboxed environment? If expected
conflicts exist, what kind of adaptation would it take to port
Clojure?

Thanks,

Robin

Rich Hickey

Jan 29, 2009, 10:33:38 AM1/29/09
to Clojure

On Jan 27, 2:44 pm, Robin <robi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Under a huge assumption that Google will soon announce a 'Java
> compatible' runtime forAppEngine. Could Clojure work out of the
> box? Would Clojure's dynamic generation of ASM/bytecode pose a
> security problem for a generic sandboxed environment? If expected
> conflicts exist, what kind of adaptation would it take to port
> Clojure?

I imagine ahead-of-time compiled Clojure code would pose the least
challenge, at it requires no custom classloader or dynamic bytecode.
Currently, AOT is enabling both untrusted applets and conversion for
Android/Dalvik.

As far as dynamic bytecode, that has a lot to do with the sandbox.

Rich

Robin

Feb 2, 2009, 2:26:20 PM2/2/09
to Clojure
I am not an expert on the JVM, but I think Google's runtime will
disallow uploading precompiled bytecode (jar). The assumption is that
if you can compile it on their servers, then it is legal and therefore
safe. I hope they allow the use of ASM library.

Obviously this is speculation, but can you foresee any corner cases
where Clojure's use of ASM might be considered 'unsafe' by Google?

Thanks,

Robin

Mark Derricutt

Feb 2, 2009, 2:35:17 PM2/2/09
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if the Classloader issues that currently affect OSGi would impact an app-engine style deployment scenario as well.  My understanding of the issue is that each different classloader would pick up its own RT and compile/generate up different versions of the core classes under each classloader.  ( I'm willing to be totally corrected here, I'm still very new to clojure, and the issues we're seeing under OSGi ).

...and then Buffy staked Edward.  The End.

Robin B

Mar 27, 2009, 10:44:31 AM3/27/09
to Clojure
Google will officially announce Java support for AppEngine at the end
of May at Google IO: http://ru.ly/T6 Clojure web apps will have
access to BigTable and be able to auto-scale based on load. Clojure
in the cloud!

Robin

On Feb 2, 2:35 pm, Mark Derricutt <m...@talios.com> wrote:
> I wonder if the Classloader issues that currently affect OSGi would impact
> an app-engine style deployment scenario as well.  My understanding of the
> issue is that each different classloader would pick up its own RT and
> compile/generate up different versions of the core classes under each
> classloader.  ( I'm willing to be totally corrected here, I'm still very new
> to clojure, and the issues we're seeing under OSGi ).
>
> ...and then Buffy staked Edward.  The End.

Robin B

Apr 8, 2009, 12:53:17 AM4/8/09
to Clojure
Tonight Google officially announced JVM support for AppEngine: http://ru.ly/Z2
JRuby on Rails is working and Clojure/Compojure works too: http://ru.ly/74

Unfortunately threading is restricted on GAE/J.

Robin

On Mar 27, 9:44 am, Robin B <robi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Google will officially announce Java support for AppEngine at the end
> of May at Google IO:  http://ru.ly/T6 Clojure web apps will have
> access to BigTable and be able to auto-scale based on load.  Clojure
> in the cloud!
>
> Robin
>
> On Feb 2, 2:35 pm, Mark Derricutt <m...@talios.com> wrote:
>
> > I wonder if the Classloader issues that currently affect OSGi would impact
> > an app-enginestyle deployment scenario as well.  My understanding of the

Bruce Wang

Apr 8, 2009, 12:58:18 AM4/8/09
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Robin B <rob...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tonight Google officially announced JVM support for AppEngine: http://ru.ly/Z2
> JRuby on Rails is working and Clojure/Compojure works too: http://ru.ly/74
>
> Unfortunately threading is restricted on GAE/J.
>
> Robin

just found on reddit
http://fragmental.tw/2009/04/08/clojure-on-google-app-engine/

--