You know you've been writing too much Clojure when...

Paul Stadig

May 29, 2009, 2:51:02 PM5/29/09
to clo...@googlegroups.com
You meant to type disclosure, but instead you typed disclojure.

Paul

Michael Reid

Jun 2, 2009, 9:52:00 AM6/2/09
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Paul Stadig <pa...@stadig.name> wrote:
> You meant to type disclosure, but instead you typed disclojure.
>
> Paul

How about when you try to write code in other languages, and
reflexively place parentheses before function/method names?

(len 'Foo') <-- not valid Python. :(

/mike.

Laurent PETIT

Jun 2, 2009, 9:57:35 AM6/2/09
to clo...@googlegroups.com
2009/6/2 Michael Reid <kid....@gmail.com>:

And when you're stuck with java, and have to implement the Visitor
design pattern yet again, instead of being able to use multimethods
:-( (that was my case the last two weeks !)

Shawn Hoover

Jun 2, 2009, 10:06:23 AM6/2/09
to clo...@googlegroups.com

Don't forget, commas are NOT optional!

irb(main)> a = [1 2 3]
SyntaxError: compile error!

Paul Stadig

Jun 2, 2009, 10:10:51 AM6/2/09
to clo...@googlegroups.com

Hehe, yeah that one's gotten me before. :)

Paul

tmountain

Jun 2, 2009, 10:43:28 AM6/2/09
to Clojure
Same here with the commas. Since I've been neck deep in Clojure, I've
been pathologically forgetting to add them with other languages.

On Jun 2, 10:06 am, Shawn Hoover <shawn.hoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Stuart Halloway

Jun 2, 2009, 11:27:58 AM6/2/09
to clo...@googlegroups.com
People keep looking at me funny when I point out variables as code
smells during code review...

Stu

Max Suica

Jun 2, 2009, 1:59:22 PM6/2/09
to Clojure
people in math discussions raise their eyebrow at my new comma-less
tuple and set notation:

(a_1 a_2 ... a_n a_(n+1) .. ) in R^|N|

{1 2 3 4 5} = {a in N+ | a < 6}

Haskel hated it that time I wrote:

fold:: (b a b) b [a]

or

sum x y & zs = fold (+) 0 x:y:zs, where:

sum 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 => haskell compiler smacks yo momma.

And finally, in C, I caught this line before I tried to do anything
silly:

defmacro();

Cheers!
~max

CuppoJava

Jun 2, 2009, 3:34:27 PM6/2/09
to Clojure
I now write all my Java code without any types... and then realize I
have to go back and add them in later.

Richard Newman

Jun 2, 2009, 10:27:04 PM6/2/09
to Clojure
> I now write all my Java code without any types... and then realize I
> have to go back and add them in later.

Heh, very often I allow the IDE to fill them in, because I'm too lazy
to type that much!

Fogus

Jun 3, 2009, 8:49:47 AM6/3/09
to Clojure
Question: You know you've been writing too much Clojure when...

(dorun Question)

-m

Adrian Cuthbertson

Jun 3, 2009, 10:42:46 AM6/3/09
to clo...@googlegroups.com
> ... You know you've been writing too much Clojure when...

You see a cartoon swearword @^#!>! and you think it's clojure meta-data!

-Adrian.

Laurent PETIT

Jun 3, 2009, 10:56:29 AM6/3/09
to clo...@googlegroups.com
2009/6/3 Adrian Cuthbertson <adrian.cu...@gmail.com>:

>> ... You know you've been writing too much Clojure when...
>
> You see a cartoon swearword @^#!>! and you think it's clojure meta-data!

LOL ! :-)

BrianS

Jun 4, 2009, 8:48:31 AM6/4/09
to Clojure
You see a license plate in front of you DEFN1A3F and you wonder what
the function 1A3F would return.......happened to me the other day.

Sean Devlin

Jun 9, 2009, 10:00:49 PM6/9/09
to Clojure
You're writing an email and

;Rich Hickey is a no good...

comment out a line instead of deleting it :)

(Fortunately I caught this before I hit send)

Christophe Grand

Jun 12, 2009, 7:24:27 AM6/12/09
to clo...@googlegroups.com
You forgot to write "return".

--
Professional: http://cgrand.net/ (fr)
On Clojure: http://clj-me.blogspot.com/ (en)

Luc Prefontaine

Jun 12, 2009, 9:55:06 AM6/12/09
to clo...@googlegroups.com
You get back into Java code and find it cumbersome, clunky, (add your own) ... and wish you had written it in Clojure in the first place.
Then you realize that this code was written ... before Clojure was born. Bouhouhou !!

Luc

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 13:24 +0200, Christophe Grand wrote:
You forgot to write "return".

Paul Stadig a écrit :
> You meant to type disclosure, but instead you typed disclojure.
>
> Paul

Luc Préfontaine

Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a real problem...

Luke VanderHart

Jun 12, 2009, 1:09:10 PM6/12/09
to Clojure
Wow. I have seriously done most of these.

Leaving out return statements in javascript is the most insidious,
however, particularly since my JS coding style has become extremely
functional since learning Clojure.

-Luke

On Jun 12, 9:55 am, Luc Prefontaine <lprefonta...@softaddicts.ca>